Sunday, April 16, 2017

Sunday Selections

Sunday Selection photos this week focuses on some popular St Kilda icons, all taken with my phone camera, as once again, I forgot to take the proper camera. Click here for River's Sunday Selections.

Blue bark? I think nature may have been interfered with.


While waiting at a bus stop a descending paraglider came into sight. I was too slow to get a photo but I accidently snapped a lad on a trampoline. Boing, is the appropriate word, I  think. He was going boing on the trampoline. Boing, boing, boing.


The makeover of the southern end of Acland Street has been completed and I do not like the retro futuristic shelters at all.


But the area has been greatly improved by stopping cars and making it a pedestrian space.


A new tram terminus was built, with platforms for easy physical access to trams.


The Village Belle Hotel stands in Barkly Street at the end of Acland Street. A friend once hired a tram for a party and it was an amazing evening as we rode the rails of Melbourne's tram system. It was an articulated tram and at one end was the music. A speaker was blown up and very hungover the next day I went with him to return the sound system and he told the place one speaker did not work at all. I remember a guy dressed in a WWII nurses uniform with very precise actions directing traffic around the tram at Carlisle Street and St Kilda Road. No alcohol on tram was allowed, but he was given a nod and a wink to black out the tram windows with black plastic, which he did. Of course as the night wore on, the plastic came off the windows. In front of the ever tolerant old men patrons at the Village Belle, he danced on top of the bar in drag. It was just the most brilliant night ever.


The entrance to  the ever popular Luna Park.


I like this modern and unusual apartment building.


The external renovation of the huge Palais Theatre has been completed and she now looks very fine. Behind her and across a Jacka Boulevard is St Kilda Beach.


20 comments:

  1. I love the entrance to Luna Park. Have a great Easter Sunday..with your family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I think children must find the entrance exciting.

      Delete
  2. Your tram evening sounds wonderful. In my sedate late middle years I remember hitching a lift home on the back of the garbage truck one early morning, still clad in formal attire after a Cinderella Ball. And smile.
    I agree with you about the shelters, but like the increased pedestrian amentity. Much more charm than cars, cars, cars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it was so wonderful. See, we weren't always boring older people.

      Delete
  3. I believe that mouth would bother some people around here. Looks like he has heart burn.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, how can you say that about our Luna Park mouth.

      Delete
  4. yah, haven't seen those retro shelters in person, but they look ridiculous in pictures, and highly impractical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, authorities seem to stop making shelter from weather that actually shelter from the weather some decade or two ago.

      Delete
  5. Some fine renovations in your city. I quite like the retro shade shelters, but the ones in the middle of the new mall should be wider for more summer shade. The ones lining the footpath sides look more like cafe table umbrellas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, taking another look at the photos, the shelters seem to offer reasonable shade, surprisingly so. It would not surprise me that they get used as care table umbrellas.

      Delete
  6. Everyone called Acland St "The Village Belle" in the old days. I still do, if I forget the more modern term for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, as I remember it too. You of course would remember the market there too.

      Delete
  7. Good selection and all looks so clean.
    Nothing wrong with your phone photos, good capture of that boy ad funny thing about that is, if you tried you would have missed him.
    Thinking of you today with R and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it is only clean thanks to diligent council workers. A lot of rubbish gets dropped, which makes me very cross, especially as my rates pay for it to be picked up.

      Delete
  8. That theatre is spectacular. Perhaps the occasional venue for one of my favourite bands; The Melbourne Ska Orchestra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cro, it is a huge theatre. It is a very long since we saw Debbie Reynolds perform there. I kind of know what ska music is, but not so sure about orchestra, and never heard of MSO....oh those initials are for Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.

      Delete
  9. Oh my that sounds like quite a tram party you had. I can picture it almost in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I did leave out that the host of the party knew a lot of hot looking straight guys, who were also on the tram.

      Delete
  10. There's something tres suss about that tree bark Andrew. I don't mind the funky new shelters, what were they like before? Love the Palais Theatre . No alcohol on your tram night out and you were very hungover the next day, sounds a wee bit suspicious to me, but a fabulous night to remember by the sound of it 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if I did not make it clear, Grace. There was alcohol, but no one knew with the windows blacked out by plastic. It was a brill night.

      Delete