Friday, April 07, 2017

Mercy

Once again we journeyed last Wednesday on the train to Heidelberg to see Hippie Niece in hospital. She had been moved from one side of her room to another after an expectant mother gave birth. She now had views and light and was happier. She said that while her partner is a very heavy snorer, in desperation she rang her mother, Ex Sis in Law, at 1am for help as the woman who had been added to her room snored even louder than her partner. She was moved the next day to a room that while it is a double room, it is pretty well too small for two patients.

It is though a terrific room. While her cervix is very large (don't ask me about what that means) she is holding her own and if Monday's scans turn out well, she may be moved on Tuesday to Frankston Hospital, much closer to home and she will receive many more visits from friends and family, just not us with an easy train ride to the Mercy. The important thing is that she will be living close to her daughters who will probably be in humidity cribs after she is discharged.

I took a cupcake and a candle to the hospital and we sang Happy Birthday to her Uncle R.

R had a busy week. Sunday, Little M's birthday in a park in Frankston and it was very hot. I was at work.  Monday, lunch with a former workmate and it was very hot and they cut it short. Tuesday, volunteer work, taking people for lunch to a Yarraville Club, Wednesday, going to see niece in hospital. Thursday, Mother Day. Friday, normal volunteer day, driving old people around for a five hours. I returned from work a little after 6 on Friday night and I could tell he was exhausted. He had made us a nice pasta dish for dinner, but then he imploded exploded. You don't want to be around him when that happens. Ok, our usual Saturday routine won't happen, brunch then shopping. I just read a bit, used the desktop and the tablet and my phone, read a bit more, sorted some photos, cleaned a few things, and then the day was gone. We did go off for dinner with friends to celebrate his birthday to the Elsternwick Hotel and his mood improved. ( I won't bash on about me booking these things and trying to sort our my work times so I can attend)

While it was R's birthday on Wednesday, it was Mother's 83rd on Friday. We are going to Club Officer for Sunday lunch. It is a good place. Tradie Brother ensured Oldest Niece, her partner and Little M and Little Em came. It was going to be Waves in Frankston, but mother was worried about her bowels and being so far from home. ???

Little M was a nightmare but lovely too. I scooped her up at the very last minute before she entered the gambling area of the venue. Little Em is just short of walking on her own.

Sunday morning R was up early, no doubt being woken up by Grand Prix car racing that starts at 7.30 and went off to shop alone. He bought a birthday cake and after our hotel lunch we all sang Happy Birthday to Mother and R.

------------

This did not get published at an appropriate time. Below are a few photos of a room with a view. Niece was transferred to Frankston Hospital and said, to quote, 'it is shit'. Mercy sent all the appropriate Niece details to Frankston but they were nowhere to found. She landed in a place of chaos. She was told she could go home and is booked in for a cut and extract on the 28th of April. We will be away on holidays by then.

So she is home, but where is home? Her partner has rented a house in Cranbourne, aka Crimebourne. They have a bed and tv, but nothing else until the weekend.

Although it was a two bed hospital room, because of its odd corner shape, it is only practical for one person. Great views.


I happened to look up as we arrived at the train platform to go home and Niece was waving at us from the window.

Bits of the original station can be seen poking through the newer station roof. Being opposite the road from the three? hospitals, it quite a busy suburban station and obviously the earlier facilities would have been inadequate.


I understand Olivia Newton-John Cancer & Wellness Centre was some sort of collaboration of fund raising by ONJ and the state government.


26 comments:

  1. Poor R. I think I would have had a melt-down after a week like that too.
    Niece can go home? They must be v pleased with her. I thought she would be there for the duration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we all thought the same. It seems once they got her past the critical point there was much less concern and as per the booking, it seems they think she will last that long.

      Delete
  2. Poor R. I think you should book a trip with Gadventures to Western USA to cheer him up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, fortunately he does not read my blog. You'll have me working until I am 70.

      Delete
  3. Frankston Hospital is somewhere you don't want to be for any length of time.

    If R is volunteering for old people there is one in Cheltenham that could do with cleaning help and a little handy man work. After which we can sit down with scones and tea and bitch about his partner. Much nice that driving old bags around for 5 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol JT. And bitch he would.

      Delete
  4. I am here to help you :) The cervix is that funny neck-like passage forming the lower end of the uterus in all women. In non pregnant women, the cervix doesn't change. In pregnant women, the cervix gradually softens, decreases in length and eventually opens so the baby can come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, yes, that is kind of how it was described, but you have put it much more succinctly and now I properly understand.

      Delete
    2. Crikey ...... like you really needed to know about that, aye?????

      Delete
    3. Charlie, it adds a little to my very limited knowledge of female anatomy.

      Delete
  5. A busy, hectic time for all concerned by the sounds of it.

    I hope everything now is back to some semblance of peace and calm for Hippie Niece and the pregnancy runs smoothly from hereon forth...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All sailing smoothly Lee, except for a friend's father who has just died, who happens to live in Q1, and our own friend who had a heart attack this week. We think he will be ok.

      Delete
  6. Busy time there Andrew. I expect one person can only take so much (R).
    Pleased the niece is doing alright, and home! Wow.
    There is a lot of smoke in my area today, the hills can't be seen and I understand it's coming from Victoria somewhere, so hope all is well over your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, we have had smoke for two days but I huffed and puffed and blew it all your way and it is now clear here. Sorry about that.

      Delete
  7. Why would they move her to a different (crap) hospital who then sent her home? Seems a bit silly to me. Let's hope she doesn't go into early labour while at home.
    I can understand R exploding after such a busy week, I'm quite mild-tempered myself but I've had weeks where I could have happily had a tantrum when they were done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it seemed like a good idea to move her to the hospital closer to her family and friends, but so puzzling as she was then sent home. All that change for no reason.

      Delete
  8. I wish your niece well for the weeks that remain. I've had two friends go through the same process and both gave birth to beautiful. healthy babies.

    And happy belated birthday to R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ad Rad. I am sure the girls will be gorgeous.

      Delete
  9. Nothing is worse than a snoring partner ! Even earplugs don't help. Before I killed him I moved out and now we both sleep very well. You were quite busy with family stuff. Our family is very small and spread over Italy and Holland ! Nobody here, but often friends are better because you can choose them. Family you inherit !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, we do have issues with friends too, but you are right. You cannot choose family. We chose separate beds three decades ago. We sleep well.

      Delete
  10. That is an odd room. Happy birthday, belated, to R and your mother. Worried about her bowels, is she? Well that happens with age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obsessed is the word I would use, Strayer.

      Delete
    2. Yeah .... well I'm only four and my Mum's obsessed with my bowels. Follows me around with a little plastic bag. I get no privacy at all.

      Delete
    3. Charlie, I understand. We do the same with Dog Jack when we look after him.

      Delete
  11. Friday the 7th is your Mum birthday..how cool is that...My grand daughter Claudia will be one on that.
    Happy Birthday to your mom.
    Coffee i son

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, delayed post. It was 22nd March.

      Delete