Thursday, April 06, 2017

Let's talk about China

Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo have been in China for a week or so. Little Jo went to school in China. They are now in Hong Kong, which, much to the chagrin of Hong Kongese, is now also China. They arrive home on Thursday and told Mother they will call in on her on Sunday on their way home from a scout camp at Garfield. Good god. They never spend any time at home. We have made our home nice and to suit us to spend time in. We like our home and enjoy being in it. Seems like Sister and Bone Doctor don't like their home so much. They are never there.

China was also the theme of gifts for R's recent birthday.

Brighton Antique Dealer gave R an old china rose vase, complete with what I judge to be a non original arranging wire frame. I remember the frames had weight to them. This one does not and does not really fit properly.




Our Friend in Japan sent a lovely gift of sauce cups. While we don't entertain nowadays, they will get used for various purposes and they are a pretty good talking point. I always thought Heinz 57 was Australian, but via blogmates, I learnt that the world knows about Heinz 57.


Surely that is enough china for one post, but no, there is more.

The immaculately coiffed red haired one, Jah Teh, sent some china too. I kind of recall that it is also our 2016/17 Christmas gift. While I have heard she is cheap, her gifts are not. We immediately turned them over to see their provenance and the marks pleased us.  Each mug has a matching coaster, and let me just tell you, should you ever have the privilege of supping on tea or coffee at The Highrise, you will place your cup on the matching coaster, or else!!!


24 comments:

  1. I think China is an iny=teresting country but not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, to inexperienced westerners it is a minefield to visit if not with an organised group.

      Delete
  2. Matching mugs and coasters. How posh are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, my dishwasher safe mug with Robin in an archery pose sent from Nottingham has faded badly after many years, so it might be time for me to embrace a new mug.

      Delete
  3. Funny how a theme emerges from nowhere to being everywhere until the fashion/fad/interest runs out.

    A bit like 'salted caramel' which suddenly has made an appearance in every cooking show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, Sister first told me about salted caramel a few years ago when she bought a salted caramel ice cream. She didn't like it and the ice cream stand man gave her another flavour. I am not game to try it, nor Nutella.

      Delete
  4. The lovely JahTeh gives stunning, thoughtful gifts doesn't she? And cards.
    Love the china theme.
    I hope R thoroughly enjoyed his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does indeed, EC. R did enjoy his birthday, though a little stretched out.

      Delete
  5. El Chi, I searched for a lovely bright set to be seen behind the glass cabinet doors in the new kitchen. I should have blog searched first, no glass doors and I was sure there were glass doors. Next year it will be silver pepper and salt grinders, I'd like to see him break those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, with three double wardrobes with mirror doors, two bathroom mirrors measuring about 1.5 metres by 2 metres, a round mirror about 1 metre in diameter, another about 1m x 1/2m, a glass topped dining table and glass topped desk, pictures on the walls behind glass.....well, enough Windex gets used in the High Rise as is, without adding more. Off to check now on the the price of melted down silver.

      Delete
    2. Wow. I have one bottle of Windex which will probably last me another year and I've had it 18 months already.

      Delete
    3. We buy Windex more often than once a year, but in much cheaper 5 litre containers. A visit by children sees the consumption of Windex skyrocket.

      Delete
  6. The Rose vase is gorgeous! I don't own any vases because I can't keep flowers inside because of the hayfever, but now I'm thinking that's a silly reason to not own a pretty vase or two. JahTeh's gift is beautiful also, she always knows just the right thing to send.
    Curious about the wandering family, perhaps a gypsy caravan might be a better home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, while the vase isn't really our style, I think you can have a couple of older feature pieces around. I don't know if it is worth much, but it is a very nice vase. Fake flowers are so good now, get some and a nice vase. I love your gypsy caravan suggestion, and you will take full blame when I tell them they need one.

      Delete
  7. Matching - 'how nice' as one of my late Aunties would say :) everything like that was always - how nice that we used to get the giggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, elderly aunts were often a good source of amusement for children, although in my case, it was great aunts.

      Delete
  8. Girls, take no notice of Andrew, the one thing we do not need is a mirror on any door in the bedroom. Whether it is waking up in the morning or getting dressed, it's gruesome from every angle and at our age, we'll never morph into Elle MacPherson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JT, I have ceased to notice myself in the wardrobe mirror.......unless I really want to.

      Delete
  9. I like home...I prefer to stay home. I'm not a traveller, never have been unless it was, at once time, for work purposes. I'm a true home-body...my body stays at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, that is my natural inclination too but it is not R's. I like that I am 'firmly encouraged' in a way to travel.

      Delete
  10. Funny...I just saw a news article about David Beckham receiving a huge backlash on social media for making a very innocent post about his wonderful visit to "China" (Shanghai and Hong Kong). He was correct, of course, but ended up rewording the original post be less 'controversial'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, I didn't see it, but I can guess he had a charmed time in China. How is DB looking now? I haven't seen a photo or video for a while.

      Delete
  11. Mum reckons there's no need to go to China. Where we stay in Sydney is just like being in china.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true Charlie, but China can be a lot more challenging.

      Delete