Monday, April 10, 2017

"His name was Lola

He was a showgirl. With yellow feathers in his hair and a dress cut down to there."

Subtitled Musical Monday.

Maybe Lola was a drag performer? Barry Manilow has finally come out as being gay. He is not someone I have given great thought to, but the news is no surprise. Copacabana is a classic track that will get people onto the dance floor and I will not be snobby about it. I like the fun song.

In my mind I think I have always disassociated high camp from being gay and I need to be hit on the head that a male celebrity is a proper gay, that is his preference is for sex with men.

From Manilow, to Freddie Mercury with a band named Queen!, to the Village People, confirmed because a late friend had some fun with the leather man from VP after they hooked up at Prince of Wales Hotel in St Kilda, to Liberace. They were all or are so camp. But what does that have to do with men wanting sex with men?

I suppose he was too, but once a patron of the Oakleigh hotel where I worked for a year or so in my youth asked if I was camp, I said no. I didn't really know then, but I had a pretty good idea I liked men for sex. I remember him so well, small, blue eyed curly haired blond. I think he was gay, but he mixed with straight blokes in the pub who were mostly concrete workers. The cement dust that fell from their pockets onto the beer sodden carpet and then dried and set made carpet cleaning a challenging job.  Of gay men mixing in straight male company, I have known a few. But no, sorry, I am not camp and never have been. My preference WAS for sex with men. Now I just don't care too much, well maybe just a tiny bit, at times. I think I have mentioned Jakol, the gypsy in Bulgaria with a really big.......muscle on each arm. How far do Aussie dollars go in Bulgaria?

Just kidding and being theatrically camp, if you like.

This montage clip is quite fun. Sit back and sing and shake your...........boozies?


20 comments:

  1. I always assumed that Barry Manilow was gay. My surprise at the announcement was that it was needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, had he have been more my type, whatever that is, I might have thought about him, but I never did. See what I mean? I have to be hit on the head with it, while you had already assumed.

      Delete
  2. Gee know one could fit into any other are closet comfortbley. So one can go and then come out.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, it is not so brave to come out when you are very old.

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes, I really liked the video.

      Delete
  4. What El Chi said.
    All Joan Rivers fans know she loved and supported Mr Manilow when he needed it.
    The wiki on it is a great read.

    Ray Davies of The Kinks [another LOLA] may have been knighted recently for convincing record label CEO Clive Davis to release At The Copa as a single. Covered by Sir Ray in 2010, and by our singing budgie Miss Koilyie too.
    Thanks for that bit of fabulous It almost cheered me up after the awful news of John Clarke dying.
    The video became a feature film and a 200-performances London show. Go Barry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, you are right. It was a good read. How I loved 12"singles. Interesting that the Copa is in Rio, yet Manilow recorded a version in Spanish, not Portuguese. I can't believe Kyles has recorded Copa. I must listen.

      I too am shattered about John Clarke. He is irreplaceable. Not to be seen as too selfish at my loss, it is also sad for family.

      Delete
  5. That is a really fun clip, I loved it. Almost makes me wish I was a tap dancing showgirl. I like the song, it's on my ipods, but I don't like Barry Manilow much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I have never even thought about whether I like Manilow. He has kind of been there in the background. My stepmother is very 'down to earth', shall I say but she learnt to tap dance when she was young and can still do it. I wish I had some sort of talent.......for anything.

      Delete
    2. I believe the song is about a woman, HER name was Lola, SHE was a showgirl and so on.
      Unless you just meant to poke a bit of fun at Barry being gay?

      Delete
  6. In the new German crime series (very psychological and not bloody at all), like the Americans no shooting neither, it seems to me that it became almost fashionable to be gay, lol ! In each series nearly, there is a gay couple, men or women, ever since "outing" is in, and marriage allowed, there is no hiding anymore which is good !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, has Germany been learning about good crime series from Sweden? It is good that there is no hiding, but there can be too many gays in the room.

      Delete
  7. We always thought he was gay, just needed him to confirm, so no surprise..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, the issue to me has boiled down to why I never even thought about whether he was gay or not. I never cared.

      Delete
  8. It is sad that he felt he had to keep it hidden that he is gay...but I believe it really wasn't a secret. And who care, anyway - only the narrow-minded...I sure didn't and don't care. He's a talented man and I could care less whether he is gay or not gay. I wish him well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, it is the old story. They come out when it when when there is a commercial advantage to them, or no commercial disadvantage, a la Ian Thorpe and Ricky Martin.

      Delete
  9. This "story" frustrated me in the way it was reported. He came out a few years ago. The only new angle on the story was the comments by Paul O'Grady. Don't journalists have access to Google?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ipso facto James, I am guilty too and I will wear that. I've never really been that interested in Manilow. My other points in the post were what my mind was focused on.

      Delete
  10. Seriously? He finally said it out load? I think everyone knew.

    ReplyDelete