Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Visiting the preggers niece

One of the more interesting things about using public transport is people watching.

We were not impressed as we just made the platform at Heidelberg Station in time for the 2pm train home after seeing Hippie Niece in the maternity hospital. There the train sat, on the single track into the station but not moving. Single track to double track means points. Was it a points failure? No, it was a police operation at the previous station, Rosanna, but it wasn't. A policeman strode down the platform and as he did, an announcement was made over the tannoy, that the train would be now arrive at 2:10 pm. The cop jumped down from the platform and went towards the train.  A couple more times we were told it was a police operation and then that there was an intruder on the tracks. Sure enough, the train began moving at exactly 2:10. But it was 2:12 before it left the station.

We were aware of a very loud female voice in the carriage that indicated someone with mental health issues a crazy person was among us. As we approached Clifton Hill Station, again the train stopped. I guess the the train from Epping South Morang went in front of us, as our train was late and we had to wait for the Epping train to clear the tracks. The loud voiced person made herself known to us all as she pressed the emergency button to contact the driver and ask, 'what the fuck is wrong now. Why aren't we fucking well moving. I am drunk but I am coming down and I need another drink, soon'. The train driver did not respond and a minute later the train moved on and she left at Clifton Hill Station with somewhat of a performance.

As I have become a weekly commuter on the Hurstbridge train and this was the only time it went a bit wrong. But I have become bored with looking out the window, and bored with people watching. I spend a little time on my phone, unlike most who spend all their time on their phone, and take my Kindle and read. I look up every so often to see what the cute guys are doing my fellow train travellers are doing, or just gaze out the window at our rapidly expanding city.

The alternative of driving to see the niece and paying for parking is beyond what my mind can comprehend.

10 comments:

  1. How long is the train trip home Andrew? It's true though, even if you love something, and i know you love all things transport, anything repetitive gets pretty old hat eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, half an hour from town, but we combine the trip with whatever we have to do in town.

      Delete
  2. I often people watch - particularly on public transport. And it hasn't (yet) got old.
    How is the preggers neice going? And how long does she have to wait now? It can't be long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, she is past the critical 30 weeks and is huge and mentally ok. I think it might happen soon. One is in the wrong position, so it will be a cut and remove job (covering up because I can't spell the proper word).

      Delete
  3. Cut and remove job ....... you're hilarious Andrew. I can't spell either but Mum's pretty good at it but that is a tricky word, aye?? At least the nutter on the train made for an interesting side attraction whilst you were delayed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, with people like that on the train, there is always concern that they will for some reason turn their attention on you.

      Delete
  4. Cut and remove reminds me of my early childhood, when my older sister told me she was never going to have any babies because they grow in your stomach and the doctor has to cut you from your belly button all the way down to your 'wee-wee' to get the baby out. I have no idea where she learned such rubbish.
    Hope your niece stays well and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I don't know exactly where they cut but I guess it is horizontal and low down as women have them at times because the scar will below the bikini line. School yards produce many interesting stories.

      Delete
  5. I fake to read, but listen to conversations when it's interesting, lol !

    ReplyDelete