Saturday, March 18, 2017

Take a compliment with good grace and your heels

A guy from Chile once said to me, 'Gee you have a nice smile'. That was before my smile disappeared into my now fat face and jowls. What about my beautifully slim and smooth body? He did not mention that but someone else did, and it was the first time I heard the word, visage, that is he said how nice to see your visage. Wanker.

I've mentioned it before I think, but again, Mother was showing R some old photos and R said to me later when telling me about the photos, 'I'd forgotten how cute you were when you were young'.

I can't remember the circumstances, but very recently R and I were talking about men's legs. Ah, just remembered. He bought a new pair of shorts for our Euro travels. I don't wear shorts. He asked why not, as if he he did not know had not asked me before. He added, you used to have great legs.

Used to? If there is one thing about me that has not changed, it is my legs. I can never see them objectively nor take much notice, so I have to take R's word for it. But my legs don't have visible blue veins showing, nor knots and aren't too marked, apart from the scar from a boil when I was a young teen.

I have been looking at women's legs of late. Of course I always look at men's legs. What makes a good leg on a woman? I am not sure. I saw a quite attractive lass who had all these lumpy bits on her legs, so I guess that is not great. Is the ideal long and smooth? But how should they be shaped? Obviously not like men's and that is where I get lost.

A well worn pair of stilettos can enhance a woman's leg line and look very stylish.


But what I really dislike is seeing women wobbling on high heels. This catwalk model did more than wobble. She lost it. If your are going to wear such uncomfortable shoes, you need to be able to do it with style, or don't do it all and stick to flatties. There is little worse than seeing a woman wobbling around on inappropriate shoes. Of course, as a couple of very old blog mates will attest, I can wear heels with style.



25 comments:

  1. No heels here. I am not stable in flats. And refuse to hurt my feet, legs, back... Comfort is all these days.
    Compliments? I find them difficult. I suspect because I don't believe them. Which leads me to being ungracious. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, one does reach a certain age when comfort is what preoccupies your mind. Can you accept that I think you are nice person?

      Delete
  2. A friend of mine, about to move residences, found an old photo of me wearing those very short stubby style shorts popular many years ago. My legs were impressively long and less impressively thin. In fact in that photo I appear very thin all over. Not a bulge or or roll of flat evident.

    I think my legs are still that thin. The rest of me no longer so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, that sounds awfully like me. Poor legs, unchanged, and now need to support much more weight.

      Delete
  3. No heels foe me, I have never driven a car so most places I walked or caught PT and I seen what happens to ballet dances feet when they age and high heels can do the same thing
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, interesting that you bring up ballet dancers. Aside from perhaps boxing, no other work place would allow such damage to people's bodies than ballet dancing......well, maybe football too.

      Delete
  4. Very high heels destroy the woman's spine ..and for what? To pretend that the woman is much taller and more fashionable than she actually is? INSANITY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, some women wear heels for height, but generally isn't it about the leg line? It is a step short of feet binding.

      Delete
  5. I only wore heels to go out or to church. I never wore heels to work. With my back and knee problems, I will never wear heels again. I was 28 when I realized I had great legs...what a waste of ten years or so...lol. Now, at 70, they are not so great but not so bad either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PP, I am amused, well not about your back and knee problems. Yes, youth is always wasted on the young.

      Delete
  6. Never worn really high heels, never thought they look good and they still don't on anyone in my book. Do wear little heels occasionally now I'm much older, but usually wear sandals all 4 seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I can't agree. A really well dressed women in heels looks fabulous. But, I recognise it should not be done daily and saved for special occasions. Unless women are in performing arts or a very glamourous job, why wear heels? It is a false construct.

      Delete
  7. I used to have nice legs, even with the larger calf muscles. Now I'm overweight so the legs are heavier and I have lots of varicose veins that look like bruises as well as just the blue line ones. I used to wear jeans all year round to hide them, but now I don't care and wear shorts in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, past caring is a wonderful mind place to be. I am getting there.

      Delete
  8. I fortunately still have the same legs and as I am quite tall 1.72, I don't like high heels, although I could without problem because my men are 1.89 and 2 m long. I wore high heels when I worked, because then I could look down to my boss and he had to look up (hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, always good to look down on your boss.

      Delete
  9. I love wearing heels, not stilettos so much but definitely a heel, I'm just able to again after my knee problem. The lady in your first shot Andrew, that's exactly what perfect legs should look like, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I kind of imagine that you could wear heels well. Your advice on good legs is noted.

      Delete
  10. Seeing men wobbling around in flat-heeled shoes is pretty bad, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, at least you can usually openly laugh at them...that is unless they are taking it seriously.

      Delete
  11. Based on published research, an attractive torso to leg ratio varies between men and women. Straight men prefer women with longer legs. Straight women prefer men with longer torsos. Not sure what gay men prefer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, the post is old, so no one will read this. Gay men prefer legs around their necks.

      Delete
  12. I can't walk in heels, mainly because my feet are small and weird and don't do well in them. I'd love to be able to wear them however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick with your leather boots then, Fen.

      Delete