Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Friday Fulmination and the GP

Not such a fulmination really. R has peaked early on this Friday night and is in a snot and has gone to bed with significant multiple door slammings. He has had full on week, and it is not over yet, with a dinner with friends Saturday night and a family lunch out on Sunday, the former to celebrate his birthday and the latter to celebrate his and Mother's. As he approaches 70, he struggles at time, mostly to with my family. No one ever said my family is easy.

Apparently Hippie Niece's cervix is wide open, ready to give birth to premature twins. Depending on tests, early next week she may be moved to a hospital near her home area. (That has happened) Not so good for us to visit her, but there will be less need for us to visit her as she will be close to family and friends. She is past 32 weeks, whatever that means, but it was a critical point. We saw her on Wednesday and had cupcake with a candle for R's birthday. She was becoming sleepless because of the woman brought into her room to share who snored far louder than her own partner, and that is saying something. She was moved to most wonderful room on her own to ensure she gets good sleep.

I called Mother today to wish her happy 83rd birthday. For so long she wanted to have her birthday lunch at Waves in Frankston, but she is too afraid to venture so far from home in case she becomes unwell, so it will be somewhere more local. We have found somewhere and it is booked. 12.30 was booked out, so we have a 12.15 lunch booked. Such minutia over a simple lunch.

Tradie Brother and Ex Sis in Law's neighbour died a week ago and they both went to her funeral. I will call her Joyce, because that is a nice old fashioned name, and it was her name. Joyce was a salt of the earth type, and had a gong to ring if she wanted attention from TB or Ex SIL. Later TB cut a hole in the fence between with a flap so they could talk face to face. It was recounted at her funeral how she rang one of her sons after a storm to tell him there was a boat in her backyard. Nonsense Mum, he replied. You are losing your marbles. It wasn't nonsense. TB had a canoe on the roof of his outside bungalow and it blew off the roof and landed in Joyce's back yard. Life in Langwarrin, hey.

Later: Dinner with friends at the Elsternwick Hotel went well on Saturday night, but the group is much diminished and will soon expire. Details in a later post. Sunday lunch with family went well too. I will separately post about that.

It was the weekend of the Grand Pricks in Melbourne, an event that loses a huge amount of taxpayers money and god knows why it still happens. Because of the nice weather, attendances were up. The month long setting up causes massive disruptions to traffic and makes my trip home from work a very miserable experience. It almost makes catching the tram home as viable. Yes, the Grand Prix was here before we moved here, but that does not stop me complaining about it. Car racing around an inner urban park with a lake in its centre is quite absurd. I went one year when it was free on a Thursday. The most interesting thing about it was watching the ducks and swans, and oddly they seemed to be quite unperturbed.

I expect you as an Australian taxpayer are paying for all these RAAF planes to do Grand Pricks flyovers. Good on you. They are quite photogenic. (note, if your pronounce Grand as you would in English, then you must also pronounce Prix in English. You can't have a bob each way)

The Roulettes are quite special with their acrobatic displays.





The noise from this F18 Super Hornet bomber has to heard to be believed. Every year when I hear it, I think of what it might be like to live in an area of a war torn country and feel the panic as the bomber plane roars in the sky, dropping its load who knows where.



This is a new one for me. It seems it is a Boeing Globemaster, a troop transporter. It seemed to take a long time to turn around and looked to be quite a heavy beast. It flew past low, and slowly.



22 comments:

  1. Wow you have had a busy days greetings from Europe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, not so bad because I was not working.

      Delete
  2. Much door slamming? Reminds me of teen years living with my mother. The step kids and she would fight a lot and she would send them to bed early, "get a good night's sleep, get the shit off your liver" she'd say. Never made much sense to me then, but now I'd say being asleep probably gives your liver time to process and clear whatever needs clearing.
    I hope your Mum's birthday lunch goes well, no dramas. I used to think 83 was very old, but as I get older myself it doesn't seem quite so ancient anymore.
    32 weeks is a fairly critical point for unborn babies, before that lungs are usually not mature enough for breathing on their own if born too soon. Once past 32 weeks, babies do much better if born early, although they will still need intensive care for a while, more so with twins who are usually still too small when born premature because there's only so much space in there.
    Grorn Pree? you can keep it. We still have the Clipsal 500 race with that ear shattering racket, but it doesn't fly over as much as it used to, I remember a few years back it would make a dozen or so circuits, screaming around the skies, now it does just a few. Guess too many people complained about the noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the birthday went well. Niece with the twins never speaks clearly so we did not know why 32 weeks was critical. Thanks. I really wish they would get rid of the GP here.

      Delete
  3. The Boeing Globemaster looks a huge and unwieldy beast. A bit like a pelican, a wonder that it can fly.
    Happy birthday to both R and your mama.
    And hooray for getting over the 32 week mark (with thanks to River, since I was clueless about the significance).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, thanks. What I found really interesting was how quiet the Globemaster is. Dropping troops by stealth in a war zone?

      Delete
  4. Did you take the photos of the planes? You did very well. I have little success zooming in when I try to photograph them. Either I fail to capture the planes at all or they end up looking the size of mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, you are seeing the best of what I took, something like eighty photos and many have been deleted. I have cropped a few of the photos to make the planes appear larger.

      Delete
  5. By the way, I guess you intended this post to appear on Friday rather than Wednesday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I began the post Friday night and I was fulminating, but I did not publish it and later expanded it. I forgot about the already scheduled Wednesday Wonders though.

      Delete
  6. Crikey Andrew ...... you sure fit a lot into your weeks, aye?? I'm like R. I like peaceful weeks. I wish I knew how to slam doors. When Dad and Mum drag me around with them I'd like to be able to slam doors to show my disapproval. Mum's excited about the upcoming birth of the twins. She's a bit potty about babies. Must be a female thing, aye??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, not all weeks are as busy. A better skill for you to learn is to open doors, especially cupboard doors. We are all quite excited about the twins but of course worry a little about how their mother will cope, but she has good family support.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday to R, same to your mother.
    Hope niece and her twins will be ok when time arrives.
    Grand Prix, a lot of money in those planes but they do look good.
    Like you I get caught sometimes with my posts, posting too early or too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret. I have learnt than when you do post in error, it is better to leave it there as it is still seen by blogspot users and rss users and then frustrating for them when they try to go to the post to comment.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10:22 pm

    Andrew

    Should you not record that "R has piqued early on Friday night...."?

    Cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very clever Marie, and he did.

      Delete
  9. Wishing an easy delivery for your niece and good health for her and the babies.
    That story about the boat is hilarious.
    Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I had not heard about the boat before. Thanks.

      Delete
  10. Well you were in fine form here Andrew :) you had me laughing out loud at 12.23 am, you really are hilarious.. apart from the bombs falling bit :) Poor R, I think this is how P is with my family sometimes but then it works two ways I have to put up with his :) Families eh! can't live with them can't live without them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, at least R's family is a long way away and has little impact on us.

      Delete
  11. Well turning 70 would not be so much fun, neither 83. I'm getting close however, to both. Too close. Car racing. Why watch cars go round and round, with extreme noise, what is the attraction, I wonder. You sound very busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, and they go so fast, you can't really see them anyway. Boring!

      Delete