Monday, March 13, 2017

Coopers shot itself in the foot

South Australia's Coopers Brewery donate money to various Christian religious organisations, including very homophobic religious organisations.

The company is also one of the largest donors to the South Australian Liberal Party.

Frankly, I have never given a thought to Coopers. I (yes I most definitely) have drunk their product but you can bet I will never again.

It is Cooper's right to do what they want as a company and my right to do what I want to as a consumer.

But is it so simple? In one fell swoop Cooper's has suddenly become........un Australian. I really can't believe how large companies can get things so wrong and yet pay thousands of dollars to PR people and advertising companies.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/view-from-the-street/beers-and-bibles-how-coopers-created-their-own-pr-disaster-20170313-guwrww.html

13 comments:

  1. I'm totally ignorant here; what is it they've done?
    I should probably read the papers more thoroughly (*~*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've added a link, rather than try to explain.

      Delete
  2. bars are announcing on Twitter that they will no longer stock Coopers, and getting 100's of responses from people agreeing they don't want to drink it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, even I am a bit surprised at the reaction.

      Delete
  3. I don't understand either, they donated money is that a crime ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, by donating they are giving support to organisations that I might not like, so I choose not to buy their product. Their problem is, many people are doing it.

      Delete
  4. There company here I try to support as little as possible. Because of who and what they stand for and do.
    But I fine it almost complete cut them off 100%.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, it can be very effective.

      Delete
  5. Someone thought it was a good idea. Which is in itself scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I just can't get over what company advisors were thinking, their press and publicity departments.

      Delete
  6. It might be time for Coopers to change its advertising company and those who handle advertising within their own company. How weird!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, it clearly a case of being promoted one level above their competence.

      Delete
  7. I don't drink beer but if I did I would definitely boycott them!

    ReplyDelete