Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Who is sleeping in our bed?

Our spare room bed that is.

There is a little updating to be done. I can't remember if I told you that Hippie Niece went into confinement at 24 weeks, as her twins within are large and ready to come. She is now at 26 weeks and the hospital won't even allow her to walk any further than from her hospital bed to he en suite bathroom. Otherwise, she must be pushed around in a chair. The doctors are desperately trying delay premature births. The longer the delay, the better.

It must be hard to be in hospital for so long. It is also a difficult location for much of her family to visit. We catch the train to Heidelberg Station, which while it takes a while to go into town and then catch the train, it is less stressful than driving to an area we don't know, getting caught in traffic jams and in the unlikely event we can find free parking, have to pay $8 parking to see Niece for an hour. So far, we have always managed to find an expensive and naughty treat to take her.

I wonder how she will go, coping with twins. I mentioned this to one of our Brother Friends. He reminded me that his mother, who I killed with my boiled fruit cake, (true, she came to our place for afternoon tea. I had made a boiled fruit cake and she ate some and said it was very nice. The next day she had a stroke and died). Right, I can't recover the grammar. Their mother lived on a farm with no electricity, no running water and had five children under seven years old. Pretty valid point. Times have changed, but if it comes down the crunch, you do what you have to do.

I noticed on Facebook that Niece thanked Sister for coming to visit her by train from Geelong. When we saw Sister last Sunday at Great Niece's first birthday, she said she would visit on the following Friday. I didn't know it would combined with an errand, to get travel visas for China for their forthcoming holiday, at the Chinese Embassy in Toorak Road, once the home of the famous or infamous Frank Thring. He must turn in his grave to know what his grand but now demolished home and land has become, complete with constant crank Falun Gong protesters outside.

I was at work and once home for lunch, I listened to a message Sister had left on the answer machine, probably directed at R. It took less time at the Chinese Embassy than I thought. Are you home for coffee? I might go into town or maybe you want to come and see Niece? It was Friday, so R was doing his volunteer job. Weirdly when he had a pick up of a regular at the former Chevron Hotel, now converted to apartments, he saw Sister on the street nearby. What was she doing down there? I asked R if I should mention it, and he said no.

I was up early this morning and work today, Sunday, and it was horrendous. Hippy Niece's dad, Tradie Brother sms'd me a photo of Father's grave plaque. TB must me visiting Step Mother in the north of Victoria and gone to pay his respects. Great idea Bro, go to where there are successive days of 40 degrees and it is stinking hot. I remember asking Step Mother why Father is buried in Nathalia, but I don't have a clear understanding. He never lived there and as far as I know, he had no connection to the town. Perhaps he just liked it. Tradie Brother idolises his father. I knew Father for much longer and better. I do not idolise him. He was extremely clever in practical and theoretical ways, far smarter than I am, and I did not dislike him. He was an ok father. But........who knows. One day I will try to analyse my relationship with my father. I really don't care much.

Well, this really went off on a tangent. I was going to tell you about a weekend with the person occupying our spare room bed, a friend from the country. Manana.

26 comments:

  1. I thought this post was leading me to believing you were converting your apartment to a maternity home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children? Here? Two babies? Marie, quelle horreur.

      Delete
  2. They are taking Little Jo to China?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, yes. She will go to an international school for a week. They are staying with ex pat friends, in China, as well as on their own in HK.

      Delete
    2. I must make sure Little Jo knows there is a Disneyland in HK. That will waste a day of their holiday.

      Delete
  3. Ooh! Now JahTeh's comment has me wondering too.
    I don't know much about carrying twins, but isn't 24 weeks a bit early for the babies to be so large? I've known women who had twins and they weren't huge until the 8th month and rested a lot in the last few weeks before the birth.
    Now I'm curious about who might be sleeping in your spare room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, remember their father's ethnicity, a Cook Islander and he is a solid bloke. We are kind of relieved they are big, which indicates they are his, rather than those of an Irishman in Europe.

      Delete
  4. I wish your Hippie Niece all the best...she'll get there and soon she'll be nursing two beautiful babies....and it will all be worth it! :)

    Just don't offer any boiled fruit cake to anyone for a while...if ever again! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, she is remarkable unstressed and relaxed about it, but as her older sister says, who has one 1 year old and a 3 year old says, she won't know what has hit her when they are born.

      My cake is very nice. I could send you one?

      Delete
    2. I'm a lover of boiled fruit cakes, Andrew and make a pretty mean one of my own.

      I used to make them and sell them in my greengrocery/healthfood shop I had in Noosa back in the 80s. For the last few years they are what I make for my Christmas cake. I always make four time the quantity and send one to my ex for Christmas....no...I'm not trying to kill him! ;)

      They're a terrific cake, the old boiled fruit cake. :)

      Delete
    3. Lee, R once owned a sandwich shop. About every three days I would make a boiled fruit and it always sold out. Pies, pasties, made up rolls and sandwiches and commercial cakes were not always sold out and our dog became very fat.

      Delete
    4. you could send me one. I've tried to make them and they taste okay but the fruit is always at the bottom instead of spread throughout.
      I remember having a 3year old and a 1year old and several months later a 3y, a 1y and a newborn. Fun times.

      Delete
  5. Good luck to your niece.
    It takes all hands on board with twins.
    One of the ladies the HH worked with had triplets. And you wouldn't believe how calm she is. She said they have both sets of family nearby and that it has made all the difference. Can you imagine? Triplets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, she does have good family support and that is why we are not too worried. Her partner is quite useless, to be frank.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous4:03 pm

    Hi

    Whom you killed. Standards Andrew!!!

    I'd add LOL if it weren't so outre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, there is an occasion when I know whom is correct, but generally I play it safe by using who. Subject of the object, I seem to recall, but I never understood it. My grammar comes from what sounds right.

      Delete
  7. Twins means double baby bonus? I am sure there are other benefits. Skinny skinny Amal Clooney is apparently having twins. A friend of Dorothy must have been basting a turkey is all I can think.
    Telling Jo about Honkers Dizleyland is a mean trick to play on yr sister. Actually if they don't know about KIDZANIA that is better for kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, her sister is advising her on all the scams she can get. R thinks she is of unmarried student mother status, but I don't think so. Speaking of turkey basters, I don't think Little Jo would know about Kidzania. Not one in HK.

      Delete
  8. So.. your spare bed Andrew, who exactly is sleeping in it 😀 Your niece will be just fine, hippies are pretty laid-back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, laid back describes her well.

      Delete
  9. Your family adventures are quite entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too entertaining at times, Strayer.

      Delete
  10. Crikey Andrew ...... that sure was some tangent, aye?? I sure hope we find out who it is that's sleeping in your bed. If I were there that's where I'd be sleeping.
    You killed someone with your boiled fruit cake??????? OMD!!!!!! What did you put in it?? My Mum makes a mean boiled fruit cake. She hasn't killed anyone ..... YET!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, dog visitors to The Highrise tend to sleep on R's bed. While in the past I have slept with dogs, I now like an unbroken sleep without being pestered in the middle of the night.

      Delete
  11. Did your Hippy niece get her babies while I was reading your post ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, no. They are not due until early May. Everything to keep them inside is being done. Looks like it will be a C Section, as one is upside down.

      Delete