Monday, February 13, 2017

Mail service gone to the dogs

We all knew things were going bad for posted letters when the price of stamps increased so much and the stated level of service decreased so much. I fear it is not just a service reduction but a collapse of the service.

Postal fees are quite expensive in Asian countries for locals, but they seem cheap to us. However, the standard of service is low, with a letter taking a couple of weeks or more to be delivered to another country and from some countries you would not dare post anything of value or important.

While I cannot directly blame Australia Post as I don't know where the fault actually lies, but a parcel from Japan posted in September should not take nearly two months to arrive in Australia, in November. We are not talking about the mail services of third world countries now.

Christmas cards posted late November and early December in England should not arrive in our mail box after after Christmas.

Mother can write a long complaining letter to me and ABI Brother will post it and it might arrive in our mail box the next day, or it might arrive a week later.

There is something seriously wrong with out postal system. Given how little normal mail we receive now, the handling costs must be so much reduced and much of the handling is done by machines. So why has it all gone so bad?

This post was recently polished a bit. Now we learn the boss of Australia Post, Ahmed Fahour, is paid $5 million per year, as our mail service has falls apart. He is the highest paid postal boss in the world, yet our mail system is so bad.

Then there is the matter of not attempting to deliver parcels and just leaving a card in the letter box for the person to collect the parcel from the post office. It doesn't matter to us really, as the post office is just across the road, but R traded in some airline points that were about to expire for bottles of wine. We were most definitely home but no attempt was made to deliver them to us, just a card left. R was annoyed because the bottles of wine were heavy to carry when he collected them. Australia Post wanted feedback on his experience, so he let them have it.

Although, it wasn't actually Australia Post, but Star Track, an Australia Post subsidiary that is being nicely fattened up to be sold off to private enterprise. Star Track has certainly become omnipresent. I was standing outside R's optometrist in Bourke Street while he waited for something inside.

One double parked right where I was standing.


One up the street a bit, near the woman in the pink top.


And one across the road.


27 comments:

  1. Andrew I do not why but postal service in Europe is very expensive too. There are a lot of delivery companies which are cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I don't think governments really want to do mail service anymore.

      Delete
  2. Yes. StarTrak is Fahoud's priority. they don't deliver anywhere near me though. My town - 350 people in 130 households ref ABS) has no Postie, we all have to collect at the combined pub/shop/PO. Same as my friend at Panton Hill 3099 - which I would not have thought was remote, although her collect point does not have CUB on tap like mine does.
    Where I lived previously I got that card in the box and had to travel to PO for a small light parcel of a paperback book I complained and Buninyong PO said my box was too small. of course it wasn't.
    Feeling like 'Victor Meldrew' - nothing can be trusted or relied upon these days.
    It's "an exciting time to be alive".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, do you think the CUB on tap is an incentive for postal delivery? I bet it was in the past.

      Delete
  3. I've been lucky by having the same postie for the last 4 months who knows I don't have a dog so delivers parcels to the door instead of leaving a card. I notice that ebay have stopped putting "did your parcel arrive on or before the estimated date" because they rarely did. Post Office at Southland deserves a rise, they are always the most helpful but once again, they have self serve and I wrecked the machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I can't imagine what you did to the auto machine in the post office. It is not a seat, you know.

      Delete
  4. I know so many are complaining about Aus Post service...but I've experienced no problems with it...don't know why...but that's how it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, I suppose luck comes into it somewhat. It is only really this last year that we have ever had mail problems.

      Delete
  5. You'd think that a decrease in volume would lead to an increase in quality of service - unfortunately the only thing that ever increases are the postage rates.

    I attempted to mail some packages at my local post office yesterday. There were ten people in line ahead of me, and five lined up behind me. There was only one cashier. I had to leave without mailing my items, or I'd still be there.


    I'm sure the service in your area is no laughing matter, but the name Star Track made me chuckle. "Going where no mail carrier has gone before... and taking your undelivered mail with us!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, brilliant slogan. I love it.

      Delete
  6. Ahmed Fahour collected an obscene $5.6million last year, but I order something from a company in NSW and eight days later I'm still waiting for it. It's letter sized and will fit easily in my mail box. Today, middle afternoon, I spotted a mailman delivering locally, on a pushbike. There's one reason the mail is slower. Star Track vans are everywhere here too. Sometimes I get small parcels left on my front porch table, behind a pot plant so it isn't visible from the street. Only things that need to be signed for will go back to the post office if I'm not home to receive them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, so you not had a card left when you have actually been home and available to take delivery? Star Track has an online monitoring service and we were told the estimated time of delivery and so made sure we were home. Only the card was delivered at forecast time. Let me know when you very small parcel arrives.

      Delete
  7. It's good that I know that you live in Australia, because I could have written the same post. I wanted to send a toy to my grandson, the stamps were more expensive than the toy itself. I am still expecting a Christmas card from Tanzania for 2 years now ! Christmas cards anyway never arrive on time. I get one from America (the others send emails) and they have to post it in October so that it arrives here in end December ! It's just crazy. I avoid to use the post, the stamps too are very expensive even inland. Some people take private companies for their parcels. That's cheaper and at least it arrives !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I expect it is a worldwide problem and clearly it is in your country too. I think governments would like to relieve themselves of the burden of provided a mail service.

      Delete
  8. What offended more than the obscene salary and bonus ($5.6 million) was Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull calling Ahmed Fahour's windfall s "too high". Too high? no kidding. And this was straight after the Senate stuffed efforts to keep the obscene pay packet a secret.

    if we sacked Ahmed Fahour and divided his $5.6 million between the governmental school teachers across the nation, how much extra would each teacher earn per year? And no extra bonus, Mr Fahour, for being sacked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it is the free market. Surely Turnbull believes in the free market and Fahour is being paid his worth? Fahour receives a bonus as our mail service is in decline? This capitalism is weird shit at times.

      Delete
  9. Andrew, have you tried those help yourself machines at the P.O?
    They're complicated and I have tried to work with them but the minute I touch them, everything just goes haywire. The supermarket ones are easier but same thing, if I touch the keypad, they just give up. If I go near one in Coles there's practically a stampede to help me before I touch buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to pay one of Mother's bills with one once, Jah Teh, but R elbowed me out of the way. He has used them often to pay Mother's bills.

      Delete
  10. JahTeh; possibly your cyborg knees are interfering with their inboard computers? don't ever catch a flight to Mars; who knows where you'll end up *~*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must admit I've had fairly positive dealings with the PO Andrew, mind you I stopped sending Xmas cards years ago and the only mail I get is bill related 😊 but any parcels I send over to Sydney arrive promptly. I do 100% agree that 5million dollars a year is insane, nobody is worth that much, he should be ashamed of himself for accepting that kind of salary.. he obviously thinks a lot of himself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it is only very recently we have had issues....since the price of stamps went up so much and the next day suburban delivery was dropped.

      Delete
  12. Well, it can take days to get a letter between my brother and I. He lives 3 1/2 hours drive from me, but the letter between us takes four to five days. I could walk it to him faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, first world countries with third world mail services. Very poor.

      Delete
    2. Yes we have joked about how the pony express would be faster than modern mail delivery in Oregon.

      Delete
  13. Ugh, Aust Post are so very incompetent. I've given up on them completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, we don't have much choice about letters, but there are lots of options for parcels.

      Delete