Thursday, February 23, 2017

Birthdays

February and March are high birthday months for us. Our Friend in Japan has hers in February as does great niece Little Em and Nephew turned thirty this February.

He was spoilt by his partner. She bought him a record player, a sky jump from an aeroplane and organised a large party with accommodation for guests at a scout camp. She said he had not been able to properly celebrate his birthday for five years and so she was making up for it. I saw an FB photo of four wading pools placed in a square formation with plastic in between them and lots of water. I believe there was some bruising involved. We were invited and a separate cabin rather than a dorm organised for us, but it was impossible for me to get time off work and it was two hours drive to the party. Everything for Nephew was a surprise and accompanied by a mate, he had a series of clues to go where he had no idea. One clue resulted in him calling in to see Mother, his grandmother where he collected a gift from me, on top of the money we had given to buy the record player.

Remember how Sis in Law's dog attacked the balloons when Hippie Niece announced the sex of her twins? The same dog attacked the welcoming balloon arch at the scout camp.

March is Little M's third birthday, and Mother's and R's. Mother is easy to buy for. The speech will go like this. 'Rather than a present, perhaps I could just have a few dollars for my birthday'. She would be disappointed with anything less than $50. Sister won't do that, but she does give her money on other occasions.


We bought this dress for Little Em. I found I quite enjoy shopping for baby and toddler clothing. To go with Nephew's new record player, I gave him this old record album from my youth. I had written my first initial and surname on the back with a marking pen many years ago and coincidentally, we have the same first initial and being Tradie Brother's son, we have the same surname.

21 comments:

  1. I love that dress. I know another little girl who would look very cute wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, you just need the weather to go with it.

      Delete
  2. I think there is a lesson to be learn re the dog and balloons! Don't ever take the dog with you if intending to go on a hot air balloon ride!

    Love Little Em's dress...I bet she did, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, gosh. I didn't think of that. I doubt Little Em will even notice. Kids now have so much stuff, plus she gets Little M's hand me downs.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like all kinds of birthday fun.

    That little dress is as sweet as it can be. Good choice:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, glad you think the dress is sweet.

      Delete
  4. Brave you, shopping for baby and toddler clothing. I wouldn't even try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I was initially very much out of my league, but once you know what size to buy, it is easier.

      Delete
  5. We have 5 Feb birthdays in 4 days, with 3 on the same day! Ridiculous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree Fen, but when people do the biz is beyond our control.

      Delete
  6. Giving money is tricky, but sometimes giving presents is trickier still. What do they like? Will it fit? Is the colour spot on? What do they read? How much to spend?

    I often give colourful books to my grandchildren because I want them to love reading, but often I think they would prefer another game on their devices. Or new devices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I find the hardest thing is that nobody needs anything more. They can all afford to buy it for themselves, so you have to be very inventive.

      Delete
  7. Gift buying is tricky for elderly relatives who already have everything and don't need another cake of scented soap wrapped in a pretty towel. Money is the best option in those cases.
    I love looking at baby and toddler clothing too and wish some of the amazing things had been available when my kids were little. Buying for my great nephew is tricky since he already has everything.
    From late January to end of March I have twelve family birthdays. Luckily, all I need to do is send a card, no one in that group is young enough to require a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, actually I wouldn't mind scented soap. No one ever gives me that. The towel I would throw in the bin. It really is an old person's thing to send cards, but what else can we do?

      Delete
  8. I'm not good with gifts and the beer fairy is hopeless so now if you want something for your birthday in our family it's best to tell me what you want as these days most people have all they need often more than they need.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, my birthday is in October. A new car of a modest type would be cool. Your problem solved about my birthday.

      Delete
    2. Pssst! Merle! A matchbox car fits through the post easier than a real one and is far cheaper.

      Delete
  9. Feb is a huge birthday month for us also Andrew, we've already been to three birthday parties, two to go!Such a sweet little dress..AC DC, I still enjoy a robust sing a long if they come on on the car radio 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it is hard to believe that I liked that music......loud.

      Delete
  10. You have such family gatherings and parties and people seem to care about each other there. Makes me wistful. My birthday is in just a few days. I've never had a party. Maybe I will have one for myself this year, me and the cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I have a big one this year and I am going to try to keep it as low key as possible. Celebrating birthdays is a good way for our family and friends to stay in touch.

      Delete