Tuesday, February 28, 2017

A puzzlement

This is an adapted version of an email to Grace of Perth Daily Photo. I thought I may as well turn it into a post. (Note: I know you are old, old enough to know what Kodak is, so don't ask)



I've spent over an hour working this photo out, comparing it Google Street View and nothing was making sense. It was labelled the corner as the corner of  Barrack and Murray Streets. I tried googling the various companies in the old photo, but got nothing. This morning I wondered if perhaps it was mislabeled and if that was the case, I might never know.

The two yellow streets are Wellington Street at the top, with Barrack Street running down the picture to the intersection with Hay Street.


Also, trams ran along both Barrack and Murray Street, so I should be able to see tram tracks in the foreground and there aren't any, although the photo is also labeled 1957 and the trams stopped in 1958, so perhaps that tram line had already closed.  These two photos show the buildings at the corner of Hay Street and Barrack Street, and nothing was matching to the old photo above.



I looked at the photo full size and bingo, I spotted the name Railway Hotel. I had not more time to look, so I was looking forward to getting home from work and checking what I had guessed, and I was right, it is the corner of Wellington Street and Barrack Street looking down Barrack Street and it is easy to see if you look at this attached screenshot. While one corner has been drastically altered, the other hasn't and there were never any tram tracks in Wellington Street. Isn't the distant Bell Tower nicely framed by Barrack Street.


Seems there was a bit of a scandal about the Railway Hotel.

The Railway Hotel on Barrack Street, Perth was a hotel that operated from 1847 until the late 1900s.
The facade of the building remains after being partially demolished in 1992.
Joe Scaffidi, a property developer and husband of Perth Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi, demolished much of the façade of the historic Railway Hotel in contravention of a stopwork order. He became the first person to be prosecuted under the Heritage Act and was ordered to rebuild the façade, attempting to integrate the now compromised structure into his multi-storey development.
Developers at it again!

19 comments:

  1. First photo sort of reminds me of something...Looks like a good place to window shop.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, it would have a useful shopping strip.

      Delete
  2. Some developers should be treated like the miserable buggers that they are. Sure, the one who demolished much of the façade of the historic Railway Hotel was indeed prosecuted, but can destroyed architectural heritage ever be truly replaced?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I don't believe it really can be replaced, nevertheless, illegal demolitions should be made to reconstruct and never be allowed to get away with it.

      Delete
  3. That'll teach 'im!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, and shouldn't the husband of the mayor be beyond reproach.

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh, don't touch a Heritage Site without permission - it's just happened down Hobart way, the owner had is Heritage house demolished to build Units on the site and he's in all kinds of trouble.
    Odd when you can't work out streets from the past to now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I might chase that up. Working out streets can be difficult. I often see where something was demolished that I pass all the time, but I can't remember what was there. Google Street View usually helps.

      Delete
    2. Margaret, I looked. The Mount Stuart now vacant land should be forever condemned for a generation to a single story with a a small footprint, after a substantial fine.

      Delete
    3. Glad you looked that up. I believe there was asbestos in the demolished building as well, dust flying around apparently to the neighbours.

      Delete
    4. Yes, saw that disturbing information too, as happened here recently when a hotel was illegally demolished.

      Delete
  5. I've never been able to get a decent google street view shot, but I have seen some lovely ocean views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, street view is very variable, depending on where you live. Our home view has been updated at least three times. But I also see areas that have never be refilmed since the original.

      Delete
  6. Gosh you had me confused Andrew and I live here 😀 I'm not sure if our Mayor should be reproached for her husband's past endeavours, she's really livened things up in the city, in a good way 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry bout that Grace. The Mayor is only guilty of marriage, I should hope. I am surprised that her husband wasn't more aware of regulations, or was he and chose to ignore them?

      Delete
  7. You solved the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, never trust the title of a photo.

      Delete
  8. Brilliant detective work Andrew. May I suggest 'Lion-like' detection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, that never occurred to me, but it is not dissimilar, a hard study of what is available online.

      Delete