Monday, January 02, 2017

Unwelcome music




Look, I have lasted a whole day into the new year without complaining about something. 

I was in a shop a couple of weeks ago and I can't remember what kind of shop it was but it was staffed entirely by female ethnic Asian lasses. There was western muzak playing and it was so loud, I did not hang around. 

Wednesday, the first day the shops reopened properly after Christmas we caught the tram to town and as we boarded we were assaulted by very loud music on the tram. The culprit was a disabled man with a wheeled walking frame. It was awful and if looks and glares could kill, he would have been very dead from all directions. It was so loud the public announcements could not be heard. I was furious that no one said anything to him, let alone the driver. As I walked past him to the other end of the tram I said loudly to R that we should get off and wait for the next tram. God knows what the awful music was, but then the next track from his hidden super loud boom box was Kids in America and the rest were popular 80s tracks. I found my self foot tapping and I noticed a few others doing the same. Still, it is not right.

We ate a healthy brunch at QV shopping centre, but soon enough found ourselves hungry again and went to Centre Place for coffee and cake. As soon as we ordered, a two or three piece busking band set up right next to us. Victor, it was right across the lane from where you dined last year when you stayed overnight in town. Lordy it was loud. People knew they were going to perform as some very professional photographers had set up. They attracted a crowd around us, making it even worse. There was a lot of trumpet, saxophone and drum noise but I could not possibly confirm that what they played was interesting. Well, not right next to us. Once a violinist set up in the same spot and the previous cafe owner hunted her off. Buskers in the city are supposed to have a permit to perform.

Saturday we were in Prahran having brunch at a cafe in Prahran Market. We were late because someone in The Highrise slept very late, and it wasn't me. It was time for the mariachi trio to perform, blasting us with more trumpet and saxophone, and worse, a banjo.

New Years Eve was quiet for us. I felt asleep in a chair and at 11.50 R poked me (settle) awake and we walked across the road to where we could see the city fireworks.  

We had wee nightcap and I went to bed. R today told me he stayed up and watched the Village People in You Can't Stop the Music. My god, what campness. 

Feeling a little ordinary today as much for staying up late than too much tipple, New Year's Day, we did not venture out until about 1pm for a bite to eat. We drove along the beach road and had a light lunch at West Beach Bathers Pavilion. Oh no, with a speaker pointed directly at us a guitarist was setting up, with.........what are they called....synthesiser or something like that and a amplifier . No doubt he was going to make a lot of loud music in our ear too. We ate quickly and bolted. 

I am sure you won't have to wait too long in 2017 for the next old man whinge from me.

24 comments:

  1. When people walk outside, I suppose there is not much that can be done about noisy music. But if you are paying to sit in a restaurant or cafe, you are entitled not to have headaches and go deaf. I always politely ask waiters to turn down the noise level and have never been refused. Although they are probably having a good laugh at my expense in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I have once or twice asked and it was turned down. But surely even young people want to converse easily.

      Delete
  2. I find really loud noise and assault. And try and avoid it when I can.
    I do worry about the deafness from himself's side of the family though. His father used to turn up the news to earsplitting levels, and the early signs are there. His father refused headphones and hearing aids too - 'if only people would speak clearly...'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, someone near and dear to me has some hearing loss, but won't admit. Exactly as you say, 'stop mumbling and I will hear you'.

      Delete
  3. It is funny - but sometimes not so funny - how something can follow you around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Victor, and for those with some hearing loss, it makes it harder to hear.

      Delete
  4. I'm fond of most music but only when I want to listen to it, earphones are a good invention.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, precisely. Only my music should be loud.

      Delete
  5. That is my number one hate. Having to listen to other people's music. Do you two ever eat at home??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, we have dinner out maybe once a fortnight and take away once a fortnight. If I am not working, we nearly always brunch out, otherwise it is leftovers or a sandwich.

      Delete
  6. Good morning grumpy! Haha only kidding Andrew, loud music, if it's of an unappreciated genre can be an unwelcome intrusion. I'm just about to head into the city, we have some tres cute buskers in Perth, as you know 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it Grace. If it is your music, you don't mind it louder. Indeed you do have hot buskers, but don't forget they have been to Melbourne too.

      Delete
  7. I don't see having music so loud that one can't visit.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loud music on trams and buses is bad enough, but worse (I think) is when someone with earphones in slaps the beat on his legs or the seat and sings along rather loudly, and not at all musically; it's weird because of course we can't hear what he is listening to.
    Our buskers have permits limiting the time they are allowed to be in any particular spot, so if you are in the mall long enough, you get to see them pack up and move along to start up again several times during the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, just the noise from the earphones annoys me. Yes, people singing along with earphones in bad.

      Delete
  9. Loud music bothers me a whole lot. The worst is in restaurants when the music is turned up far too high. I totally sympathize with you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I don't remember it happening in NY, but certainly in Toronto we were loudly blasted with music a couple of times.

      Delete
  10. Oh dear me, that loud music such a pity.
    Must admit I used to play loud music once but not anymore, but at least my music as decent :) well to me it was and is.
    We have been to a few places for dinner and left because the music was way too loud and from what I've observed so did most leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, loud music if for the young. You grow out of it. I think generally people don't want loud music in public. Vivaldi played loudly at spaces where suspect youth want to hang around works very well.

      Delete
  11. I saw the New Year in...I watched music programmes on ABC-2...they had a 1975 Queen concert, followed by a documentary on The Rolling Stones (Exile in Main Street), followed by a Rolling Stone's concert....followed by a tribute to Leonard Cohen (I've yet to watch it...I recorded all ....and watched most except for the latter).

    I was a very boring tippler...I had one cold, cold Crownie mid-afternoon...and that was it in the tippling department.

    There are times and places for loud music...and there are places and times not for loud music....

    May 2017 be good to us all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, I saw a little of the Stones doco. You are quite right about times for loud music. They are increasingly few as I age.

      Delete
  12. Well, I like your whine posts. Makes me feel angelic when I refrain. Just think they are damaging the little hairs in their inner ears and soon will be mostly deaf when they listen to too much loud music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Strayer, you are such a paragon of virtue. Yes, deafness will be so common in the next couple of decades.

      Delete