Friday, January 06, 2017

Too close for comfort

Yesterday we visited a friend in Cabrini Hospital at about noon. We hadn't eaten, so instead of our usual brunch out, we decided to have a proper lunch out. Options were thrown into the hat and considered. Brighton Sea Baths? I was feeling a little broke, so I kind of vetoed that. A cafe in Elsternwick? Sand Bar cafe in Middle Park? The weather was warm and a seaside lunch might be nice, so we decided on Sand Bar.

We parked at 1:15 and had a very pleasant lunch, leaving a little less than an hour later. Had we have gone to Elsternwick, there could have been a little drama. At 1:40 this happened as reported in The Age. We would have been very close by.

Masked robbers wielding a handgun and machete have robbed an Elsternwick jewellery store in a frightening afternoon heist.
Three offenders with shirts on their heads stormed H and H Jewellery on Glenhuntly Road about 1.40pm.
Police said that the robbers threatened staff and stole jewellery before leaving in a waiting vehicle without registration plates, which was driven by another offender.
The vehicle drove south along Orrong Road.
It is believed the gang were later sighted on Gardenia Road in Gardenvale, where one of them  got out of a black Holden Commodore then jumped in a black Ford Territory.
Both vehicles drove off separately.
No shots were fired during the incident and no injuries have been reported.
The offenders were reported to be of African appearance.
An employee of the business, which also has stores in South Yarra and Collins Street, said they were shaken by the robbery.
"At this point in time we're still recovering, so if you could call back another time?"


24 comments:

  1. Ack.
    Definitely too close for comfort. And I hope the staff can get support in their recovery. Not what you expect as a shop assistant...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, no, they don't get paid enough to have their lives put at risk.

      Delete
  2. Wow. You hear about these things, but they're always 'just news', it's not often you get to thinking, "we almost chose to be there, we could have seen it happen."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, many years ago I was waiting on a tram at tram terminus before it left and the bank next to the tram was robbed and no one noticed until all the police cars arrived.

      Delete
  3. What about the woman stabbed at Southland a few weeks back. I forgot to follow up but it will be in the next local newspaper with the whole story.
    In my wayward youth I was once used as an alibi for a very bad bashing but what do you do when someone says just mind my drink for a moment then swans off in the direction of the Mens. Recognized it from the description in Truth and your story just brought it all back to me. Really getting old, having flashbacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I can put two and two together. Bad scene.

      Delete
  4. Crikey Andrew ..... I'm glad you went to the Sand Bar. I would've hated to see you on the news. What did you have? I had a big Mac once and once only. It was the best thing I've ever eaten other than ice-cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, I would hate to see me on the news too. I can't remember the name, but there were breads, chorizo and olives involved.

      Delete
    2. Olives??????? Oh my ..... I don't like olives. You peeps are weird. Mum likes 'em too.

      Delete
    3. But you ate the dill pickle on the Big Mac?

      Delete
    4. Touche, River.

      Delete
  5. You both were every so lucky you decided to go the other way.

    I saw this footage on the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, perhaps the only good thing is that was all over very quickly.

      Delete
  6. Our town doesn't even have a jewelry store.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, I expect we have too many, with too many rich people to shop in them.

      Delete
  7. Dear god almighty. It will take them a LONG time to recover. I still remember the head master flogging a boy in 1962 :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, a good point to those who argue to bring back corporal punishment.

      Delete
  8. I'm a great believer in fate. When your time is up that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, quite true, and fate steered us in a different direction.

      Delete
  9. The greed; the lack of respect; the wastes-of- space who believe they have the right to be leeches off the hard work of others...oh, I'll stop now before I get even angrier thinking about them!!!

    I think you understand what and how I feel without my going into further descriptive description!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite so Lee, but without being soft about it, the cause of the explosion of this sort of thing here has to be addressed, and fast.

      Delete
    2. I agree. It begins in the home (or it should)...and our so-called "justice system" has to toughen up. It is far too lenient...it's become a joke...and unfunny joke!

      Delete
  10. Goodness what is going on these days! Glad you changed your lunch venue Andrew, you just never know what could have happened. Have you heard if they were caught or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I don't think they have been caught but most of them do get caught and don't seem to care.

      Delete