Sunday, January 15, 2017

Sunday Selections

Joining in with River and others for Sunday Selections. As per usual, mine are random left over photos not used elsewhere.

A tuk tuk front in a cheap Asian eatery. The photo didn't come out very well.


I think this was taken with my phone. I think it was Batemans Bay where we stayed for one night on our Spring road trip. It too is not a good photo. Something went wrong with the bridge as we arrived and caused a terrible traffic jam.


This photo is about two months old. The white building seen behind the cranes is Edgewater Towers in St Kilda. The building under construction has now blocked our view, as did the one on left did significantly. You have no right to a view, as a former Mayor of the City of Port Phillip told us. Fortunately our main view from the lounge room cannot be blocked.


London's Serpentine has a temporary arts pavilion built each year and so now does Melbourne in the Queen Victoria Gardens. I think this is the third. Each year I wonder about the under usage of a temporary building that takes ages to construct and no doubt costs a bomb.



These beds, also in QV Gardens, used to be planted with wonderfully colourful annuals. Look at them now. Boring as the proverbial bat droppings. A bit weird, but the annual flower beds were replaced with these sorts of plants from a donation by Naomi Milgrom, of the Sussan and Sportsgirl retail shops. Why?




These lamps line Princes Bridge, the main entrance into town for many people. One is now missing thanks to some idiot climbing up on to it on New Year's Eve. It collapsed. I hope he was charged, but that is unlikely. I suppose it will be fixed and the others are due a repaint anyway. The lad is due for the stocks and rotten tomatoes.


I think Grace mentioned she liked the look of Flinders Street Station, our main city suburban train station.


It is much photographed and just as interesting at the Elizabeth Street end with the clock tower. It will be repainted soon, a paler stone colour.


St Pauls Cathedral on the diagonal opposing corner.


Young and Jacksons Hotel, aka Princes Bridge Hotel, with the ghastly electronic advertising board above, but the board does hide a very neat open roof top cider bar.


Trams in the busiest tram street in the world, cyclists, taxis, delivery vans, trucks and council workers all hate where the horses for hire are located. All pass within inches of these horses. They simply should not be at this location. The horses and carts also ignore time restrictions noted on the parking signs. Lord Mayor Doyle should act. Yes, one horse did swing its snout out to one side once and it was hit by a passing tram.



I don't know if it is true, but when six o'clock closing of hotels was in place, because of the terrible mess made as men gulped down multiple beers and often enough brought them back up again, never mind just spillage, public bars were all tiled and simply hosed out after closing. Pub tiles were often nice though,


Intricate work at Melbourne Central.




In the gloom for some reason this cruise liner looked very bright and white.


I think the sign says, PUT A GIRDLE ROUND ABOUT YOUR GIRTH.


Noice.


Oi, this is Australia, not Britain. Where is the kangaroo and emu?


The mad running season concluded in December.


21 comments:

  1. Disappointing flower beds at Queen Victoria Gardens. Didn't realise there was a practical reason for tiling Aussie pubs but now I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, flower beds do require more labour to maintain, and so are much less found than they used to be. Fortunately many other countries think the money is worth spending.

      Delete
  2. I do like the idea of stocks and rotten tomatoes for people who break or deface public buildings no harm done but it would make them fell like a defaced building, good to carry out punishment is summer.
    Always enjoy a ramble around your home city.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I think humiliation like that would be quite an effective punishment for vandals. Image their mates standing around watching as they get pelted with tomatoes.

      Delete
  3. Andrew I am very jealous of your summer but not your heat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it hasn't been too bad, yet. One 38 degree day coming this week, but then cools down again.

      Delete
  4. You got some great shots, Andrew. I particularly like Flinders Street Station and the panda piece:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, yes the fine work with light timber, balsa wood I suppose, is quite impressive. I think the stuff was for sale.

      Delete
  5. Love travelling Melbourne with you. Thanks.
    And I would love to bring back the stocks. For vandals and I would happily egg and tomato one or six of our politicians too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, what a delicious mix, vandals and politicians in the stocks.

      Delete
  6. Presumably you jest about the "girdle" sign as your hypothesis is controvertible from the picture.

    Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcellous. Truly, that is the best as I can read it. I couldn't hang around and I will certainly check when the trees lose their leaves.

      Delete
  7. I love how you capture the details that people like me always miss. I need to be more observant in my strolls around the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, I annoy R rather much with my stopping for photos, and I then have to walk quickly to catch him up. But then he often points something interesting out to me that I have missed, and then he probably regrets doing so.

      Delete
  8. Very interesting selection here Andrew :) I agree those QV garden beds look very blah now. Flinders Street station is beautiful.I like your theory about pub tiles, hosing down seems much easier than scrubbing any other type of surface.
    Those intricate designs are very nice, are they made of balsa wood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River. I would think they are made from balsa. Remember balsa wood planes?

      Delete
  9. You are showing some of my favourite buildings and art installations in all of Melbourne. Great choices!

    Those lamps that line Princes Bridge still appeal enormously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I remember the last time the lamps were painted and it took forever. It's a fiddly job, but does need doing again, along with a repaint of the bridge.

      Delete
  10. I'm finally catching up!!

    A wonderful array of photos and comments to accompany them.

    No imagination re the QV garden beds. What a shame! I wonder who owes Naomi Milgrom a favour, if you know what I mean??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Lee, I am very impressed by your local knowledge of my city. Certainly the first replanting was funded by Milgrom, but I am not sure about this current one that was planted in spring, I think. This doesn't always go with that at Sussan.

      Delete
    2. I is foolish. I forgot I mentioned Milgrom in the post.

      Delete