Sunday, January 01, 2017

Sunday Selections

Well, thank you for your patience with all of those incomplete posts. The decks are now clear(ish) for the start of 2017.

This is a proper post office, Melbourne's General Post Office, except it isn't. There is not a post office within and the major tenant is H&M. 


The side colonnade, an excellent place for coffee unless a brisk cold southerly wind is blowing.....or a hot northerly for that matter.


This is what is now the Melbourne Post Office. I took this photo on Wednesday the 28th December, the first day it was open after Christmas. There must have been around 100 people queued. I will keep my secret city other post, ten minutes walk away, a secret.


Tradie trunks for the tradie trunk. (I am rather pleased with myself for that one)


If you follow Fen on Twitter, you may have already seen this rainbow.


If you follow Fen on Twitter, you might have also seen flowing water in her nearby lane during a downpour a couple of days ago. These at the top of our building are called spitters and there are four of these balcony drains. By the time the water reaches the ground it has broken into droplets. They are now illegal in new buildings and here are going to be replaced by downpipes. You have no idea of what a drawn out and complex process this has been. When they spurt in heavy rain like this, they are ok, but when then just drip or slowly run and it is windy, water can be blown inwards onto balconies, and more than once I have copped a shower when on the balcony.


A time ago Elephant's Child (EC will probably have a Sunday Selections for the first day of 2017) showed a  crested pigeon. I have researched for a minute and it is the same pigeon all over Australia and a native. It is found all over the country except the far north tropics and desert areas. It makes a whirring sound when flying, but I have not heard the sound.


Inside the oddly named St Collins Lane, formerly the Australia Arcade/Australia on Collins/Australia Hotel and there was once a gay bar downstairs called the Woolshed Bar. I don't think I went there. I've also heard there was a more upmarket bar, maybe on the first floor, for more gentlemanly faggots.



Thursday saw us in Prahran for a reason I forget. Why is this truck stopped halfway around the corner? We went to check. Ah, it has hit the verandah. 


Trams and buses could not proceed.


Someone was jacking up the back of the van. I suppose it was to free the van, but I couldn't see how.


Our salad leaves at their peak. They are looking a bit shabby now.


But even at their peak, this appeared in the kitchen. It seems I was not producing enough leaves.


Remember how we horizontally pierced Mother's tulips when she was in hospital and they did not sag. It works for gerberas too. These lasted about 11 days. Reminder: a sewing needle through the stem horizontally about 25mm, 1 inch, below the flower head.


I am only an occasional reader of Nancy Chan's blog. She has left New Zealand and is now in Malaysia. When she visited Melbourne, she mentioned this musician on my blog. He plays a traditional Asian instrument and is well appreciated. He has played in Arts Centre area for decades, well a very long time.


I wish all of you a very happy and trouble free 2017.

21 comments:

  1. Andrew Have a great year and I hope you visit Europe this year..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gosia, we are visiting Europe this year.

      Delete
  2. Each time I read and view your very varied Sunday Selection posts I reconsider my habit of running with a theme. And promptly forget.
    I do like travelling with you. Thank you - and a very Happy New Year. (and thanks for the mention.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have wonderful day and better 2017...Your wind direction seem backwards to me...When people talks about north of south wind it cooler...But a south or west wind is warm to us....Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, you are correct about the wind. The are in reverse. Southerly cold winds are also very clean, with little between us and Antarctica. Happy 2017.

      Delete
  4. I like the Tradie Trunks line; that's a good one :)
    I remember seeing lots of crested pigeons when I first moved here, now there aren't so many and I miss hearing the whirring as they take off. There's been a lot of trees cut down the last few years, so maybe their homes are gone.
    Happy New Year to you and R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I really want to hear this whirring now. Yes, birds need trees.

      Delete
  5. I had not heard of Tradie undies until this week, when I read a heroic account of a (sexy) rookie cop in the Northern Territory stripping down to his undies to pull a couple of tourists from a swollen river. They were evidently tradie undies with a pink trim, according to the Canberra Times.

    On that note, happy new year Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ad Rad, were there photos? Thanks and Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  6. Crikey Andrew ... You do move around a bit, aye?? From Post office's that aren't post offices to tradies dacks, salad leaves, pigeons and flowers etc. I guess we never get bored. Mum loves the look of that colonnade joint. I'd pee on the columns. And we've got those pigeon blokes at our house. If you wanna hear 'em whirr you gotta come and hang around me. They sure whirr when I chase 'em.
    Happy New Year mate!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, I am sure the birds make a lot of noise as they take off when you around. Happy New Year to you too.

      Delete
  7. I am very pleased the General Post Office was repurposed. But the interior used to look grand - now the interior seems a bit messy. At least the arcade is still handsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I haven't been inside for ages, since H&M opened, and then I did not take much notice.

      Delete
  8. Best of New Years to you, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walt, to you and Ken too in return.

      Delete
  9. Happy new year I hope it's a year to remember for you.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Merle. To remember in a good way, we hope.

      Delete
  10. Sadly no pics of the cop in his undies; only in his police uniform!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes a difference if it is a real policeman in his underwear and not a 'model' ;-)

      Delete
    2. It was the real deal. And he is handsome in his uniform (as well as being a hero).

      Delete
  11. C'mon Ad Rad, you are trying to get me excited now, and it is working. Off to google Canberra Times.

    ReplyDelete