Thursday, January 05, 2017

Post Christmas

ABI Brother went to cricket for the first day of  the Boxing Test. That is cricket for you who don't know. Sister, Bone Doctor and two friends attended the second day of the Test, and we looked after Little Jo. It is a constant battle to get her away from the desktop computer.

We took her to the rather grungy Centre Place to eat crepes for brunch and very nice they were. We made our way north along lanes, arcades and through department stores to Melbourne Central and I then left Little Jo and R who were going to see the movie Moana with a gift card. Did you know if there is remaining value on gift card at the movies, it can be used at the food bar. They bought popcorn to use up the balance. I went to the supermarket at QV and then came home.

Once back home, R and Little Jo went down for a swim in the pool. Play at the cricket was stopped for light rain! and Sister came back here and while I rarely have a drink before six, we had a beer each at four. Sister then wanted a glass of wine. Sister does not hold her liquor as well as her older brother and exhibited signs of being a bit squiffy. Bone Doctor and their friends stayed in town as BD had something to change in Tah Jeh and then play resumed at the cricket, so they went back.

Sister asked if they could all stay for dinner and we would have take away pizza. We agreed and wow, Bone Doctor paid for the pizza. Well she put $50 down and R did not give her any money back. The friends were pleasant company and the trio had stopped off on the way home to buy a bottle of wine. Hmmm, Little Jo and the male person of the their friends are extremely close and friendly. My goodness, everything fell into place. He must be Little Jo's biological father, the donor. It seems we had met them before and we knew he was among the crowd back then. They were also at BD's birthday party mid this year, where his wife did a terrific mime and dance to Babushka. I don't really have anyone to talk to about serious world politics, beyond Trumpet is very scary. She and I had a great conversation about Euro politics, Merkel, Germany, the Austrian election and other Euro matters. She has a great interest in Europe and is well travelled.

It was a good day, but on top of hosting Christmas Day, then attending another Christmas on Boxing Day at Ex Sis in Law's, we were very weary when they left. I don't know what we did the next day, but I am sure it wasn't much. We were also looking after Dog Jack.


Mother and ABI Brother stayed down on the Bellarine at Sister's for four days over the new year period. I spent an hour on the phone talking to Mother Tuesday night once she was home, listening to the good and the bad about her visit.

Our friend is in hospital for leg ulcer treatment. We have visited him four times, otherwise, aside from the New Year's Day public holiday on Monday where we made an effort, post about that later, we haven't done too much.

Just to wrap, Fire Fighting Nephew, Middle Niece and Twin Bearing Niece all use the honorific of Uncle when speaking to us. Little Jo never has, just using our names. If Sister is not present, Little Jo refers to her by her name and while I have heard her call Bone Doctor, Mum, it is mostly her name too. R's accent rarely gives him away as being English born with a strong accent but their are a few words he says that have never been Australianised. Smorgasboard is one of them and it sounds a bit like smokersboard. Little Jo very smartly corrected his pronunciation. Given she barely touched an electronic device before the age of six, at nine she is very smart with computers. 'Auntie Andrew, your computer wall paper is very boring.' Not taking too much notice, I said, yeah, well whatever you like.


24 comments:

  1. Andrew the dog is lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, Jack is a terrific dog, but not always with other dogs.

      Delete
  2. And your chritstmas was as busy as yours! Happynew year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers John, you too.

      Delete
  3. so much to do and see on the computer for a young one, the world at her feet-finger tips!
    You've had a great time it seems and always good to have someone to talk to about your interests, gets it off your chest.
    i believe the dog is trying to smile. cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I understand that fully. There is so much for me to see and do on a computer. Jack does at times show his top teeth, which looks like a smile.

      Delete
  4. I'm a total sloth at the moment, and freely admit being so! I take the easy way out...I'm watching the tennis via TV (with a little bit of cricket tossed in - but 99% is tennis for me during January).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, and why should you not be. Your weather is not conducive to summer activity.

      Delete
  5. It is a shame that R's accent rarely gives him away as being English born. I love most British accents, although people from northern England need to speak a bit slowly to me. I lived in Britain for a few years and picked up the vocabulary, but my accent sadly never improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, but as soon as he talks to family over the phone, it comes straight back, although not as broad as it once was, he tells me. If you listen carefully, is o vowel sound is a bit different and he has an odd pronunciation for fifth, more like fidth.

      Delete
  6. I am not surprised you were tired. And need a Little Jo around here to sharpen me up. And would no doubt resent it if I had one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is good to have her here but good when she goes home. I do admire older women who take extended care of children, as my step sister just has with two of her grandchildren, twins She would be my age or a year or two older.

      Delete
  7. I like Little Jo's wallpaper choice. she's almost too big to call "Little" Jo now, I suppose.
    I'd like to see Moana myself, but will probably wait until it makes it to DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I quite like the wallpaper too. They both enjoyed the movie. Sister said let her see anything except for Trolls.

      Delete
  8. crepes are such yummy haven't had any for while.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, they were very nice. I had berries, so healthy, except for the cream and ice cream I had with them.

      Delete
  9. Gosh your festive period sounds almost as hectic as mine Andrew.. almost 😀I have to say that apart from really missing my Sydney family when they leave I'm always really pleased to see the back of Christmas and new year. I think your new computer wallpaper is perfect for you ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, like you, I am glad to see it all over. I'm looking forward to Autumn now.

      Delete
  10. It seems that Little Jo is a very lucky girl to have two uncles who spoil her ! Here you could drink a beer for breakfast and nobody would find that strange !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, we have seen that when travelling. I wondered if they had stayed up all night drinking, but no, some have beer at breakfast. I understand it better now I have been to Europe.

      Delete

  11. Something you never say to a kid....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true, Strayer, especially not when she is in front of my computer.

      Delete
  12. Crikey Andrew ..... that, not so little now, JO sure has good taste in computer wallpaper, aye?? Not as good as Mum's wallpaper but good none the less. Guess what's on hers!! Our Jo is 9 too and she sends Mum snapchat pics all the time. They're a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, I am pleased to hear Snapchat photos can be used for good purposes.

      Delete