Saturday, January 07, 2017

Craigieburn and an absurd line naming system

Two of the world's great public transport systems, London's Tube and New York's Subway, use permanent line names or letters, such as in London, the Victoria Line, Circle Line etc, and New York, the A Line, E Line etc. It doesn't matter what extensions are made or new stations opened, the name stays the same.

Not so in stupid Melbourne where the line's name is the name of the suburban terminus. When a line is extended, the name of the line changes.

Thus the Dandenong Line became the Pakenham Line.

The St Albans Line became the Watergardens Line and now it is the Sunbury line. (I only just learnt of the latest change myself but I did know Watergardens was no longer used)

The Epping Line was extended and is now the South Morang line but will probably change again to the Mernda line.

The Broadmeadows Line became the Craigieburn Line.

This is a hopeless and needless situation. Some lines have scheduled trains not running the full length of the line, and are listed on the departure boards as say, Eltham, which is on the Hurstbridge Line. If you know to catch the Hurstbridge train to the closer Watsonia Station , you just may not know that the Eltham train will get you there too.

VLine (country) has its own problems too. The Geelong train line was extended a little on existing track and became listed as the Marshall train, now it is the Waurnn Ponds train, but not on the PTV website where it is listed as Geelong-Melbourne. Absolutely absurd. Technically it is the Warrnambool Line, as that is its ultimate destination. I would be quite happy with it being called the South West Line, and other lines receiving compass direction names, which gives you some idea of where they go.

With a little spare time when R was at his volunteer job, I thought I might take the train to Craigieburn. I am close to having travelled on all lines, so I have decided I will complete them all this year. It is so long since I have been on the Pakenham train all the way, I must do that again. I've haven't done the Frankston Line and it would be nice to continue on to the non suburban Stony Point on a different train from Frankston. That only leaves the Lilydale Line and the spur line to Cranbourne.

Craigieburn was interesting enough. I did not like the types hanging around Craigieburn Station though. They were very rough, loud and swearing. It certainly isn't the best part of Melbourne and after Glenroy, the housing standard deteriorated considerably, although some of the housing was quite new.

I was a little puzzled by the many train lines I had seen along the way. I studied some details and track maps once home and worked out what I wanted to know (thanks Marcus). It is too nerdy and detailed to go into here.



I caught train I arrived at back to town. Nothing much to see at Cragieburn. I had a carriage to myself when we departed.



Much industry along the way.


A railway electric substation. I am not sure if it is still operational. I can't see wires coming from it, but they may be underground.


As far as I know, or remember, this is the only station with a closed entrance at the end of a platform........now I am doubtful. Elsternwick is, I think and there are probably more. There could be an entrance/exit behind me, but I don't think there was as otherwise, why did I take the photo. This is a problem of writing a few weeks after you have done something. You start to forget detail.



14 comments:

  1. Andrew I would like to travel by your tran but it is too far..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes, rather a long trip.

      Delete
  2. The line naming system sounds bizarre.
    I do like trains, and mourn that we have so few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bizarre, EC. I think you had a station right in the city once, instead of now on the outskirts. There does seem to be some movement on the public transport front in your city, as I read yesterday.

      Delete
  3. Crikey ..... that was quite the adventure, aye?? I'd like to go on a train but I'm not allowed. What's with that?? I'm allowed on Sydney ferries. Why not a train?? Mum said she'd take me on the zig zag railway train near Lithgow. She's been told dogs are allowed so I suppose they'd et me go too. I'm not a dog you know ... I'm a whippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, it is the same here. My brother recently took his dog on a half hour ferry trip. I believe pets can be taken on trams and trains here, if small in a box and maybe unboxed but muzzled. Charlie in a box, haha.

      Delete
  4. I hear you!

    Before I had a car and went by train all the time, I defined the journey, not by the end of the line but by my most used station. So I searched the schedules only to find when the next train to Caulfield station was due. Thus if the Pakenham, Cranbourne and Frankston lines all went via Caulfield, I trebled my choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, that is the way to do it. But without some local knowledge, it is difficult.

      Delete
  5. I've been thinking I should start going out on the trains again to beaches I haven't yet been to, but not while the temperatures are above 30C. Today we are expecting 41C so I am staying inside all day.
    Your train ride looks a little interesting, but nothing much to see. I suppose the train goes too fast to photograph much along the way and when there's nothing much to see at your destination, well, at least you had a train ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I enjoyed the trip regardless of not much to see. It is interesting to see the housing from the train. Yes, it is not enjoyable to do such things in the heat.....well foolish if you are of a certain age.

      Delete
  6. You would have to know which place you wanted to go through to get to the right one....changing them all the time would be confusing to me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, thanks, that is exactly my point.

      Delete
  7. V/Line also likes to confuse those up north with the new station at Epsom, one stop after Bendigo which only receives a minority of services. So when you turn up and see the Epsom train in 5 minutes and a Bendigo train in 35 minutes, many people's natural reaction is to wait for the Bendigo train.

    I don't see what is wrong with keeping the existing line names pre-extension when they are already named after the most significant place on the line. What's wrong with still keeping the name "Broadmeadows line"? Nobody in Sydney is confused by the Bankstown line which actually goes far beyond its namesake to Liverpool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to mention Bendigo and Ballarat, but they kind of slipped away in my mind. I would be quite happy if the older names were kept, although I think Pakenham is pretty firmly embedded now.

      Delete