Thursday, January 19, 2017

Connected to the NBN - the verdict

While the day of connection went painlessly, subsequently things became quite difficult. I changed the given password at the TPG website and so managed to stop our internet. That was the worst and took the most time. The call centre, in the Philippines I think, were ever helpful and patient about our non working internet. Had I told them at the beginning that I had changed the password at the TPG website at the beginning, it would have been resolved much faster. How was I to know that was the cause of internet ceasing? It seems you have to change your modem password too.

Then our phone that could only make outgoing calls stopped working altogether. R was a little distressed as he thought his fave sister would call for the New Year. Sure, enough, she sent an FB message, has your phone been disconnected? The Brother Friends called to wish us happy NY, and they received the same message. More time spent on the phone and then a call back from techs that porting your home number can take a five working days. R was not impressed. An email arrived that told us all had been completed for the change over. Not so, but I was prepared to wait, and hey, no Mother in my ear for a week. R insisted I call back to TPG about our non working phone, but it seems even in the Philippines they celebrate New Year's Day, and the call centre was closed.

I called again the next day and as I was going through the process over my mobile phone, (I always made sure they called me) suddenly the lass said, (paraphrasing) 'eureka, I will call you back'. She did, half an hour later on the home phone and it was working fine and has continued to do so.

With the password having been reset to factory setting, R still wanted to change it to our own. Predictably, changing the password at TPG again broke our internet, but I was a little more knowledgeable and the matter was quickly fixed after a short call.

Should you have to go through all this rigamarole? No, of course not. Is the end result good, yes, and I pleased we have done it and are saving $50 a month and have a superior service.  While web browsing is only marginally faster, downloads of files is much faster and uploading, say when you upload photos to your blog or Flickr, it is gobsmackingly fast compared to Telstra's service.


In the small print below the graphs, how annoying that our own, former government owned, telecommunications company uses the American date format. I suspect this local speed test is a bought off the shelf USA product and slightly adapted.

Anyway, bite the bullet and do connect if the NBN service is available to you. You will have to do it at some point anyway. If you are as I was, a rusted on Telstra faithful, it is very liberating to be free of the shackles of Telstra. Oops, my modest shareholding in Telstra has dropped in value again.

27 comments:

  1. Andrew luckily we don 't have this channel and usually I do not watch TV firstly I am short of time secondly I prefer the Net.Love from snowy moutains..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's nice Gosia.

      Delete
  2. That all sounds like a huge pain in the ass, but totally worth it to save so much money per month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, and a better service too once it was sorted out.

      Delete
  3. Nothing is ever simple; and everything is so frustrating!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, something so simple that hundreds of people do everyday should not be so difficult.

      Delete
  4. Well you had a bit of a go then.
    We are with Telstra and have super fast NBN, sometimes it's not so fast either but it's ok.
    Eldest son was with TPG and changed to Telstra - latter is better he says, but I don't know personally.

    We bought a new modem/router so the Wi-Fi signal would reach further and it works. Just plugged the new modem in, waited a few seconds and we were connected - yes, a lock. All passwords for other devices has changed, that was simple compared to what happened to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, the price difference between TPG and Telstra for the same speed was $20 a month. We are happy now with TPG. No guarantee that things would go smoothly with Telstra either, as they haven't in the past. It would no problem connecting the devices to the modem. The modem password itself is different to the password used to connect devices. I didn't even know it had one.

      Delete
  5. Crikey .... all sounds like the too hard basket for my ancient Mum. She starts trembling all over if she has to speak to those overseas call places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, maybe we were unlucky. The accents at the overseas call centres weren't too strong and I could understand them ok.

      Delete
  6. Sigh. I believe my suburb is due for connection towards the end of next year. If I had the energy I would be hissing and spitting. Mind you, one of the suburbs which HAS been connected has only been half done. If you are on, the person across the road may not be for another six months or so. (I would find the energy to hiss there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, end of 2018???? That happened in Sister's area. Two streets away is NBN but not at her place. Lacking energy? I thought maybe it was hot there, but no, a nice 22 degrees.

      Delete
  7. Does this mean a person has to use the password they give you instead of choosing their own? I don't like that idea, I like choosing my own passwords.
    Nor having Mother in your ear for a week is a plus, but losing your home phone for that week negates that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, no, it doesn't. We have changed ours but it was painful. This is not the password to connect up, but the connection the modem uses to the nbn, which had to be changed when I changed the generic password to our own. We so seldom use the phone now, which I guess is why it doesn't cost anything to sit there and comes with many free calls including 100 mins to England.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like I would need 'no-one' sitting beside me if I ever get connected and want to be changing passwords.

      Delete
    3. It may not work the same for every internet provider. Just don't cut off you old net before you are full satisfied with your new connection.

      Delete
  8. Not sure when our NBN is due, but I don't think it's any time this century!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can check Fen but if you are reasonably happy with what you have, why bother. We mainly did it to save money.

      Delete
    2. I checked, ages ago, wasn't even on the radar if I remember correctly.

      Delete
  9. I am with TPG I think, never sure these days.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I am quite impressed by their customer help.

      Delete
  10. It would take just one failure and I would be into a deep faint called Irredeemable Technological Anxiety. If I EVER thought of leaving my husband, Andrew, I would reread your letter and change my mind instantly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, as you go back to the days of irc, you must at least admit things work much better than they used to, however not seamless yet.

      Delete
  11. I suppose I will have to bite the bullet eventually. Despite the painted markings, like UFO silhouettes in a field of wheat, that appeared in our back drive a couple of months back as an advance notice of the impending arrival of NBN we are still none the wiser about a confirmed date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it curious as to how areas are prioritised. I just checked your address at the NBN website and there isn't a date. However a little map popped up with a pin, presumably your address and it has you down near Bondi Junction.

      Delete
  12. Not sure when our NBN will be available Andrew but you can be sure the minute it is P will be onto it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he is, Grace, and so stress free for you.

      Delete