Monday, January 30, 2017

After the Tennis

So the host tv broadcaster says as it promotes it new tv programmes that all begin 'after the tennis', meaning after the Australian open ends.

Employers often prefer young workers; attractive, vibrant, enthusiastic, take orders without question, over older workers that while they have lived a life time of change in their workplaces, are now thought of as inflexible and having old fashioned attitudes to work. I say bah to such employers. I wish I was in a position to say that to my workplace, but it would make no difference. In spite of my superb work record, it would happily say goodbye to a dinosaur like me for someone a little more malleable and unquestioning, and cheaper I dare say.

Yet who played off the night before last in the Australian Open women's tennis final. Two women who are closer to forty than thirty. Maturity outsmarted youth well and truly.

And who is playing off last night in the men's final? A bloke closer to 40 than 30 and he is playing a 31 year old.

So much for youth being high achievers.

R is a little sad today. He arranged a nice catch up dinner last night at the Rosstown Hotel in Carnegie. One by one said they were busy, and so there was only five of us. However, it was a great night and we will certainly return to the Rosstown.

R walked into town today and as he sat down at Soul Cafe to eat his sandwich, Chinese New Year celebrations exploded around him. Yes, exploded, with lots of fireworks and marauding dragons. When he was coming home, the tram was packed with people going to the gay Pride March in St Kilda. While we have been many times, he felt sad that he was not part of the event, well as an onlooker at least. I had to work.

I had my own sad moment at work. A Vietnamese born workmate was telling me he had grown a watermelon this year. That is quite an achievement in Melbourne. His neighbour was impressed. His neighbour is and is a third generation in the area and of a market gardening family. This is in an area when my many family forebears had market gardens. I did not recognise his surname but maybe Mother will. On a note I wrote down the surnames of three of the family forebears who had market gardens and gave it to him and asked if he would ask his neighbour if he knew of the families. Sure, he replied. I don't know why people do it when there is a rubbish bin right next to the raised garden bed, but into the garden bed they throw rubbish. If it is easily reachable, I often pick it up and put it into the bin. There was my piece of paper with family names upon it in the garden bed. He had discarded it. Too hard for him to ask his neighbour? Maybe. But at least get rid of the evidence of your non intention to follow through in a undiscoverable way.

I remember sending a copy of a 1940s photo my paternal grandmother (The Bolter) took of her house in Devonport, Tasmania, to the present occupants. No  response from them.

I suppose I just need to realise that not everyone is like me. I am sounding somewhat maudlin and February will be a socially busy time with nephew's 30th birthday, great niece Little Em's first birthday and a friend from the country staying with us for a couple of nights.  Melbourne will host White Night and the St Kilda Festival, not that we will go to either.

We have to make hospital visits too as former Firefighting/Chainsaw Niece is having latte coffee coloured twin girls and she is confined in hospital for the next ten weeks in an area very alien to us and her family and friends, Heidelberg, but at least the hospital is next to the train station. It is worse for the rest than it us for us to visit her.

24 comments:

  1. Your every month sounds busy socially to me. March will be busy for us. Our equivalent of White Night (which we will go to), the Balloon Spectacular and himself's sister coming to stay.
    Good luck to Firefighting/Chainsaw Niece.
    Perhaps your friend lost rather than discarded that list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, not much has happened for us in the last few weeks. The balloons will be wonderful, as usual. I considered that he lost the piece of paper, but I don't think so.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous3:36 pm

      Hi Andrew

      On a positive note - how wise of you and R to treat the younger members of your family with respect and to be interested, from the beginning, in their lives and views.

      I have been amazed at how quickly my lot grew up and at what lovely hardworking capable interesting funny people they grew into.

      I'm very grateful that my investment in time and effort (not that I looked at it as an investment at the time) has resulted in continuing friendship and involvement. No doubt the same is happening with you and R.

      Cheers Marie

      Delete
    3. Marie, what you did, and it sounds like it was just a natural thing for you to do, is how children should be brought up, that is much love and understanding but boundaries too.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean, I am always shocked when someone appears to be interested in something I'm interested in and I find out later it's all a act, it is ok to say no or that does not interest me.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, which is why I seldom comment on anyone's needlework etc. Fabrics and fashion are not really my thing.

      Delete
  3. The quality of tennis was fantastic. And there was no vulgar screaming, no yelling at ball boys, and only respectful victory speeches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, that was what I was going to actually write about, in contrast to the young brats. The fingers got out of control.

      Delete
  4. Well Crikey Andrew ...... you sure got that right. Not everyone is like YOU!!! Thank goodness, aye?? You're one of a kind, mate, and a very nice one at that.
    Crikey ..... 10 WEEKS in hospital ..... oh well ...... I s'pose it's worth it for twin girls. It's nice of you and R to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie. All part of dealing with life.

      Delete
  5. I'm one of those people who say of course I'll do that while mentally saying piss off ffs. I think it comes from the school years when the Mothers club was expert in backing one into a corner.
    R should have rung me, I'd have been right there, I love Chinese food and I can look really gay if I try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I thought you always looked gay. I knew you would offer your services. It's a bit of an English thing to be polite when you really want to slap a face.

      Delete
  6. February is a busy birthday month here too, with two children, a grandchild and a sister in law all having birthdays, also my daughter's father in law. My parents both had February birthdays too, and my youngest was supposed to be born in February, but decided he'd wait for cooler weather in march.
    I'm heartily sick of hearing "after the tennis"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you will have no time to write! But then a backlog of stories and photos. Agree about 'after the tennis'. It has become a cliche.

      Delete
  7. interesting to read Tasmania, never knew that!
    enjoyed the tennis amazing how age and experience go to the finals..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, my grandmother's grandparents were Swiss Italian immigrants, originally settled in Waratah and married locally to English. The Italian gene seems to be lost on me. Re the tennis, yep, experienced gentlemen competitors. Federer has aching leg muscles, but he said it could be from dancing after his win.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear yu are feeling sad. It happens. Could be 'The Doldrums'
    It is that dull sky, hot weather kind of days . Hope you cheer up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine thanks Diane. Usually just lasts for a day.

      Delete
  9. I think February seems to be a busy birthday month all round Andrew, possibly a result of winter weather nine months previous ☺ How rude of your workmate to be so cavalier with your request, he could have at least been a wee bit more discreet! Old you.. no way Andrew, in your prime you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grace. Yes, it does seem a popular month does birthdays, February to April really. With better home heating, it is a wonder that has continued.

      Delete
  10. Even if people are not like you, I think it is very impolite not to thank for the photo at least ! I had completely forgotten that the Chinese New Year has started, I have to see on Internet, because we also have a small Chinatown in Brussels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, CNY is quite a big deal here and great fun on the streets.

      Delete
  11. Probably everyone R rang to join you for dinner had plans to watch the Men's Final. I know I would've declined any invitations to do otherwise. There was no way, other than an unexpected, unplanned emergency, I was going to miss watching it. I'm now suffering withdrawals! As you've already gathered, because I've said/written it enough...I love the tennis. A tinge of sadness came over me when the last ball was struck! :)

    Some people (just quietly, between you and me - most people!) are thoughtless, and care little about the feelings of others - unfortunately. I guess that's why I choose to live a relatively reclusive lifestyle. Less chance of being disappointed that way. A coward's way out, maybe...but what the hell! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, it was actually the Saturday night, women's final. It could explain one dyke friend's absence.

      I don't get hurt easily because perhaps I am a bit like you. R is the opposite. He does so much for people yet is so easily hurt or takes offence.

      Delete