Saturday, December 24, 2016

Word Grumble

Invoice and receipt....such a simple words. You pay for something and you receive a receipt to prove you have paid. It's a brilliant system.

If something is wrong with what you have bought, you can prove when and where you bought if you return it. If you are buying for someone else, no need to write the price down or try to remember the price. You receive a receipt. If an item is tax deductible, you have the receipt you have proof for the tax department. If you are a business person, you can put all the receipts together for later book keeping entry.

At times you receive an invoice, or a bill, stating how much you need to pay.

But now, when we are being asked to pay for something, it is called a tax invoice. Likewise, when we pay, we receive a tax receipt. Why this change? It is an invoice or receipt. Why add tax to it?

Just a reminder of my least favourite words, orientated and orientating. It is oriented and orienting. Why add unnecessary extra syllables?

Thought for the day: The only good thing about cheddar cheese from the supermarket is that it does not crumble like feta cheese does when you stab it with a fork.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:22 pm

    Hi Andrew

    When a road is blocked and the radio announcer urges people to take an alternate route it confuses me. Should it be alternative? I'm trying not to care too much because I want to preserve my rage for those supermarket signs that say 12 or less items. I stand behind people with full trolleys thinking FEWER FEWER. Anyway, Happy Christmas and I might run into your brother at the Test not that either of us would realise!

    Cheers

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, you are being so English with being obsessed with less or fewer. I will spend Christmas Eve pondering alternate or alternative but I instinctively go for alternative. My brother and myself don't really look alike, if that is at all helpful.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. Simple language is almost always best.
    And sadly I prefer feta to cheddar, despite the crumbles. I hope that all the Christmas preparation is complete and that you and R can have a lovely relaxing evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we are having a relaxing evening. I too prefer feta to teeth glue cheddar.

      Delete
  3. As I remember, tax invoices only came into our Aussie speak when GST was introduced. I was a programmer and remember the GST projects and how complex all the changed were.

    I personally like and use the word orientation - it is used in teaching as a sequence in the learning process.

    I am amused by your cheese frustration ~ LOL

    Happy Christmas Andrew ~ to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, lovely to receive your comment and Merry Christmas to you. I believe you about tax invoices. The time frame fits my memory. School orientation day sounds better than school orienting day, so while both are correct, orientation in that context is nicer.

      Delete
  4. Just a quick buttinsky here about the 12 or less checkouts; sometimes when the lines at regular checkouts were getting quite long and we had no one waiting at the express lanes we were allowed to (told to) call over one or two from the long lines and get them through as quickly as we could. Then of course someone with the correct or fewer amount of items would line up behind a full trolley and eyes would be rolled etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, we have experienced that in the past and naturally we glared at the customer for being in the express lane with many items.

      Delete
  5. Feta is nice on a salad. No need to grate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, that is where go wrong, by having it cubed in the salad.

      Delete