Saturday, December 24, 2016

The plans

I am on holidays for two weeks. Yippee! It will pass quickly. Saturday will be food shopping day. I have been told by Household Management that we must be at the shops by 8am. I expect many other people will think the same. Might be better to go at 5pm and pick up cheap unsold hams and other goodies. I expect some people also have that plan.

Christmas Day we are hosting for ten, including us. Preparations have long been underway, mostly by the retired R. I just say shouldn't we do this, or shouldn't we do that, or not do that. We will have Mother, ABI Brother, Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo, Tradie Brother and his son the Firefighting Nephew, former non dreaded, former dreaded nephew (dreaded as in dreadlocks) and Hippie Niece, aka, Firefighting Niece, or Chainsaw Niece, but now Aged Care Niece. With her will be her unborn coffee coloured twins. Firefighting Nephew's betrothed will call in mid afternoon.

I told R after the last time that he was not to do Christmas again, as he approaches 70, but is happy to do it once more. My goodness, the effort he is putting in. At least he has the time. Even with the time, I am not sure I would do half as well..........who can I call for catering?

Of course we had a lovely Christmas lunch last Sunday with our friends. But does Christmas end on Christmas Day? Oh no it does not. Ex Sis in Law had invited us to her place on Boxing Day for another Christmas lunch. After Mother insisting that we check if Ex Sis in Law has cooling, she has agreed to attend to see her grand children and great grand children. It will be lovely to see Ex Sis in Law, her partner, Middle Niece and her two daughters, toddler Little M and baby Little Em.

ABI Brother wanted to stay here on Christmas night so he could be bright and early at the Boxing Day test cricket. Mother reminded him that he had to take her home after Christmas here. Missed a minor bullet there. He is no bother though.

This evening Bone Doctor called from their home phone to R's phone. R was busy cooking me a delicious chicken schnitzel, so I answered. Why do people play games with whose phone they call? Apart from can we bring anything more for Christmas Day aside from the formerly discussed Christmas pudding and brandy custard and cream, is there anything else? Bon bons? No, we have too many of those already. The normally very even Bone Doctor sounded stressed. She has had a rough week at work, with patients not being at all obliging about turning up on time for appointments, this last day being the worst when her whole appointment schedule fell apart . Then after Christmas there will be the flood of Pap Smears, from women who can't seem to find the time throughout the year and save it for their summer holidays. I don't know the details of pap smears, but I guess it is preventative health. Sounds quite unpleasant to me but the dyke Bone Done Doctor is a popular person to do Pap Smears.

The actual point of the call, and as R will tell you, they only call when they want something, this time can we look after Little Jo on the second day of the test cricket when they will attend the MCG. Of course we can. As if we would say no to Little Jo. I will be Nasty Uncle and restrict her computer access. Maybe we will swim in our pool, make craft and drawings. We are are looking after Dog Jack over Christmas, so he will need walking and Little Jo will have to walk Dog Jack with us. Bone Doctor pointed out that Little Jo tries to do many things at once, including being on the internet. She will have her internet time here, but it will be focused, as will be other things.

My theoretical parenting is brilliant. It just never seems to work.


18 comments:

  1. Yes, that's all well and good but........who will be Santa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, we need an ageing overweight man....any thoughts?

      Delete
    2. I'll send my ex, he has a full head of white hair a big belly and rosy cheeks. He's often played Santa and he'd love a trip to Melbourne. You can send a plane ticket to.....

      Delete
    3. River, sorry, I read this too late. Next year......

      Delete
  2. wwow a big Christmas party. Have a great festive season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, thanks and best wishes to you.

      Delete
  3. A very Merry Christmas you all of you.
    Catering? I fail.
    And good luck with the shopping. Today I am making a humongous fruit salad (which I will live on for a week or so) and cooking turkey breast for the household carnivores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, thanks, and in return to you. I love fruit salad but it is expensive to buy and I can't be bothered making it. I really want some though, NOW.

      Delete
  4. Crikey .... sounds like it's going to be fun at your high rise on Christmas day. All those people. How good is that?? We've got heaps at our house too. Mum's like you Andrew. Couldn't organise a thing. Lucky for her Dad LOVES to cook, aye? He's got it all under control. Our house is going to be full of little kids and dogs. Doesn't get any better than that!! Hope you and R and all your family and friends have a wonderful day. I'm sure they will and enjoy your 2 weeks off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie. Your Christmas sounds exhausting but enjoy all the people around you. Many extra pats, I am sure.

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas, Andrew...it appears there will be a lot of eating help wash it all down! :)

    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family and loved ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee. We will have a good time. I am rather fond of washing it down.

      Delete
  6. Very wise of Mother to check on the cooling. Us oldies need to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, regardless, she has decided not to go now.

      Delete
  7. My goodness, you and I seem to have the same approach to Christmas and family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, multiple events?

      Delete
  8. Your family interactions and get togethers entertain me no end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, yesterday, Boxing Day, was a cracker. I'll get to write about it.

      Delete