Wednesday, December 21, 2016

R thinks....

It is not often that R thinks about world affairs. He asked me the other day, how is Israel so rich when it all looks like desert? Off the top of my head, I replied, technology, arms and Jewish money coming from the US. These were only guesses on my part. It is a good question and a chance to learn.

Alas, it proved very difficult  to research as there is so much biased reporting by those who either support Israel or hate Israel. What did seem reliable was quite technical and not suitable for a lightweight blog post. It does seem I wasn't far wrong with what I replied to R off the top of my head though.

What is undeniable is that Israel is, with only a couple of faltering steps, an amazing economic success story, coming in about sixth in world in income levels. There are many qualifications that can be put on this figure, including it being only second to the US with inequitable wealth distribution and having a large black market within its economy.

Not sure I will ever visit Israel and I would probably only go to Tel Aviv, a very western city on the Mediterranean coast.




14 comments:

  1. Andrew it is very interesting about Isreal.. Personally I would like to visit it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I am sure it would be interesting enough and of course there is a lot of history.

      Delete
  2. Like R, I rarely think about world affairs, unless I read something on a blog and it starts a question or two in my mind. Mostly I read and forget. I don't think I would ever visit Israel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, wouldn't it be so good if we could remember what we want of what we read and clear out useless information.

      Delete
  3. I hadn't realised the wealth distribution was quite that uneven.
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it was a surprise to me too, however maybe some of the poorer do well out of grey and black markets.

      Delete
  4. Coming up through the ages, the Jewish people have always been blamed for the death of Jesus although technically he was a jew. Their money making abilities always came in handy when high or low needed money and 'can't pay it back' then it was all the Jews fault and they were thrown out of the country.
    Read about the Rothschild money and how it help England defeat Bonaparte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I never knew of the Rothschild connection to England and Bonaparte. Curious.

      Delete
  5. My son has a travel agency in Tel Aviv with excellent English speaking guides and drivers. Being British born with Australian parents, he is really looking forward to a 10-day tour in October 1917, the 100th anniversary of the ANZACs' light horse charge in Beersheba.

    Naftali Tours will only give me a free espresso and Danish pastry for each Australian and New Zealander who does one of the tours :) No spotter's fee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, Hels. Maybe I should start a crowd fundraising campaign so I can attend.

      Delete
  6. Haven't thought a great deal about Israel myself for I don't hear much of it in the news.
    Interesting to read your post an it teaches and make me want to research..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I seem to hear plenty of trouble there with Israel's incursions into Arab land and Arabs behaving badly towards Israel. It is always good to learn.

      Delete
  7. An interesting country. Not one I have visited although a friend takes her elderly mother there every year so maybe one day I will go and see it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, quite a difficult country to get into too, I believe.

      Delete