Monday, December 19, 2016

Musical Monday and I play the piano

Friday night was dinner out with friends at a rather good Indian restaurant, and I can recommend Kantipur in Hawthorn Road, Caulfield. It was our first time there and we will return. It was a combined Christmas get together and a birthday celebration. I invited a workmate along and my instinct proved to be correct. He got along with everyone and has asked to be included in future catch ups. Unfortunately we had to leave before the birthday cake was brought out as we had to pick up Little Jo from the Parkview Hotel just down the street.

Sister and Bone Doctor had been to Bone Doctor's sister's registry office wedding. Little Jo was flower girl. Afterwards they late lunched at an upmarket Fitzroy hotel. Sister and Bone Doctor did not ask to stay here. Maybe they find it too cramped in our third bedroom, in spite of it having a good mattress, an overhead fan and Bone Doctor usually sleeps on the floor on a lilo that she keeps in our wardrobe. Or maybe they did not want to ask after being very negative about us visiting them in our campervan in October.

Little Jo had a quick bedtime story and went straight to sleep. I awoke at 6.30, got up made myself coffee and went back to bed, but I turned on the computer and opened the 'safe' browser, the one we never use, IE. Ten minutes later, sure enough she was awake and at the desktop. I got out of bed again and gave her a glass of water and went back to bed and used my tablet. At home she is forbidden from getting out of bed before 7.00.

R said at some point, she is like Auntie Andrew. She doesn't sleep a lot.

By 8.30 we were in town looking at the Myer Christmas windows. I now have about 12 Myki public transport cards, most just found. Some came with credit on them but they are all exhausted now, including the child card with a negative 70 cents balance. We had to use Little Jo's registered card. I checked the balance on the latest I had found, and $7 on it. Great to give to a visitor to use. We had breakfast at a cafe. R and Little Jo went to see the gingerbread house display at Melbourne Town Hall, while I went off shopping on my own to buy R's Christmas present and a few other things. By the time I arrived home, R and Little Jo had put up our Christmas tree. God, it was only 10.30 in the morning. As I say, if you have stuffs to do, you've got to get up early.

While Little Jo accepted breakfast at a cafe, the reward was to cross the road to McDonalds for lunch. Bad timing at noon, just as construction workers flooded the place. I was forced to look at so many bare tradie legs, some slim, some muscley, some hairy and some smooth, not that I took much notice. I have gone from being ambivalent about McDonalds' food to downright not liking it and that experience was a confirmation. I had a double cheeseburger, chips and a Coke. The Coke was ok. Little Jo ordered it all on the screen, but she didn't pay for it.

Sister and Bone Doctor arrived a bit after 3pm to collect Little Jo.  We chatted for a while. I told them I had two weeks off at Christmas and they asked if we would be coming to visit them. What I wanted to say no, we weren't welcome in October, what has changed? Mother and ABI Brother will stay at Sister's for a week from the 28th. I used that as an excuse and then said we planned to stay at Marysville for a couple of nights while I am on holidays. R's eyebrows lifted, as this was news to him.

Today Sunday, as I am writing, we went to a Christmas dinner at our friend's house, with his partner and his brother and sister in law. Great food and good fun and lots of laughs, but tired again tonight. We find social outings so exhausting now.

Now, the music. When we were in Bourke Street Mall on that Saturday, I heard a busking band playing something. Fellahs, if you were the Saturday morning players in the Mall, I wasn't able to come up to listen to you or donate, but you were great. I really liked what I was hearing and wondered what it was. I Shazamed it with my phone and the results were inconclusive and I was already lagging behind R and Little Jo, with them having turned the next corner. I was not sure if the result was correct as a damned tram got in between my phone and the band.

Once home, I tried da, da, da da da into my phone in the privacy of my ensuite, but Shazam would not recognise it as being tuneful. No surprise there. Score one against Little Jo, she did not know about Shazam. Just as we were about to go for lunch I downloaded a free piano playing app to my phone. Little Jo did not have internet experience at all until she was about 7, but at 9 1/2, she is a digital native. She took the phone from me and very quickly saved her recordings of Three Blind Mice and two other easy pieces. Once home, I tapped away at the piano keyboard on my phone and eventually came up with enough correct, nearly all flats and sharps for the riff notes for Shazam to give the name of the track. I could give you the original, but I don't mind this one played on a harp but there is another harp version and I can't decide between harps, so I give you both. The Bourke Street Mall band played it terrifically.



You think we are very busy socially... Sister and Bone Doctor went to BD's sister's wedding and then for lunch, stayed overnight in a hotel, went to party in Spotswood the next day, picked up Little Jo, went to a Rainbow Family Christmas party late afternoon and then to a dyke 50th birthday party, back to the host of Rainbow family to stay the night and then home in the morning.

21 comments:

  1. Andrew you were busy . But now you must rest before Christmas..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I will go to work to rest.

      Delete
  2. I had never seen (or imagined) a portable harp before. Intriguing.
    You ARE busy socially. And Sister and Bone Doctor's schedule would have me bed bound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I see music students with them in a case on wheels. I can tell by the shape of the case is is a harp and there are always female. Why don't men play the harp?

      Delete
  3. "We find social outings so exhausting now." Who ever thought, when they were 18, that they would be saying that in middle age??? But it is true, especially if there is noise or loud music in the background. So now the rules, negotiated between all the friends, are becoming clear:
    no more than 10-12 people around the table,
    no loud music,
    no standing-up-cocktailish-mingling, and
    please end by 11 PM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, that is how many, 12, we had the other night and it was a few too many really, but who could be left out? I like dinner to be over by 9.30 and get home.

      Delete
  4. I have heard of some fantastic gingerbread house display. But haven't seen one. If you have some photo could you please share a few.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, no photos this time but I saw the dispaly four years ago. https://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/ginger-bread.html

      Delete
  5. Your title is misleading, I expected a video of you playing a piano :(
    I like the first harp version better than the second with all the electronic extras.
    I would never attempt to play a harp, I break enough fingernails as it is.
    Nice that you had so much fun at the get together and really great that your guest fitted in so well.
    It does sound like you are busy, busy, and Sister&Bone Doctor too, but I'm sure there are plenty of down days when you get to stay home and relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, my sick day off work today was very relaxing. I did play the piano, on my phone, kind of.

      Delete
  6. Crikey Andrew ..... you're busy socially alright. My Mum would be exhausted keeping up with you blokes. So would I. Do you ever sleep?? That first harp sheila was good but that second one ...... fair dinkum???? Why does she bother???????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, these social times always happen in bursts, then nothing for days. Nothing now until Christmas Day when we will feed ten people. Yes, I prefer the first performer.

      Delete
  7. Busy times for you it seems but then that is what happens some years towards Christmas, hard to keep up.
    The first harp for me is the better of the two.
    Really like music on the harp, well some of it..
    You will be looking forward to your time off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I think the playing in the first clip is superior, but I don't know anything about harp music. I am looking forward to the time off.

      Delete
  8. I don't even remember when I had last been in a McDo !! Have to wait that my grandson is a little older !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, we call it Maccas here, in England they call it Maccy Ds, and you call it McDo. Funny. I would think too much older before he pesters for McDonald's.

      Delete
  9. I only use McD's for the toilet facilities.
    I saw some great B Boys in the city on Sunday doing their performance thing. Was very disappointed with the Christmas decorations in the city. It seems they've put all their coin into the light projections, which aren't bad, but they only go for 2 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, the projections must really cost, and I guess a lot goes to the NYE fireworks.

      Delete
  10. That's quite an achievement for you to remember enough of an unfamiliar tune to research it later. I doubt I could do that. Besides I'm sure I am tone death so my reconstruction of a tune would be unrecognisable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blast Apple speller. Of course I intended to type 'deaf' not 'death'.

      Delete
    2. Victor, I was a tune I had heard before, although I did not know what it was. It had a very distinctive riff when played live in the Mall.

      Delete