Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Mother's neighbours and the US health system

Mother is 82, I think. She has good neighbours, who she manipulates over time to be her servants.

The two dykes who rented next door were only there for one year and they were caring and sharing people with dogs. As I cracked to R, they weren't there for long enough for Mother to really get her claws into them. Nevertheless, one of the girls called in during the week and Mother was in the backyard tending her garden and did not hear the doorbell. The lass left a potted up hanging basket full of flowers, a $50 shop voucher and a Christmas card saying, you are still the best neighbour we have ever had.

I paint my mother in a very negative manner and that is how she is with her children and R, but she isn't like that with everyone. Clearly the girls liked her muchly.

----------------------

If you are not a resident of the US you are probably a little mystified about the US health care system. Possibly even US residents are a little confused by their health care system. Obamacare made some improvements, the major one in my opinion being that health insurance funds can no longer refuse to cover people who are ill or seen as a high risk of becoming ill. The system will undoubtedly be altered by Donald Trumpet, but how?

Take a listen to this very interesting podcast from ABC Radio National. I think it should work for overseas listeners too. You can 'listen now' or right click and download to listen to at your leisure.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/rearvision/obamacare/8064090

The Affordable Care Act or ObamaCare as it is known – was signed into law by President Barack Obama in March, 2010. It aimed to reform the American health insurance industry and to finally provide health coverage for the millions of Americans who had none, but President-elect Donald Trump has promised to repeal and replace Obamacare. So what is Obamacare and just how successful has it been in terms of covering those millions of America that before 2010 had no health cover?

While I am sure Obama regrets what he did not achieve, he was always reassuring, calm, polite, humorous and a brilliant orator. Being a statesman came naturally to him will be missed.


19 comments:

  1. Your mother obviously has a lot of charm. Which I have no doubt she has passed on.
    The fear of universal health care in the US has always puzzled me. And time will tell what Trumpcare (or Trumpcareless) looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, in spite of R saying at times, you are getting more and more like your mother, none of us really received the charm gene. Tradie Brother and Sister are the most outgoing, especially Sister.

      Delete
  2. Crikey Andrew .... I bet your Mum is lovely. My Nan died last year at 96 and she was a tyrant to my Mum but she was as sweet as pie to everyone else. I think it's just the way Mum's are. You just gotta love 'em, aye?? I loved my Nan and she loved me. I laid beside her every day for the last 3 months of her life and she would just lie there quietly with her hand on my head. It was the only time she was peaceful in those last three months. When I wasn't there she would moan and toss and turn. Good thing I'm a lounge lizard, aye?? Your Mum must be a nice lady Andrew. She raised you to be a good bloke. That was really nice of those girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, she is even very nice to her children, as she slips her hand into their wallets. I too loved my grandmother dearly. She was such a kind and unselfish woman. Not sure why that did not pass to Mother. That's a lovely story about your Nan.

      Delete
  3. My son and his family lived in California for two years and loved it. But two things made it difficult for a family from a European or British Commonwealth country - guns and no universal health care system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, take away the former and build the latter, and you would not have a bad country at all.

      Delete
  4. Reading about health care in America has put me off watching any medical show because I know there's no way the shot stabbed or bashed poor people are getting the sort of care shown on tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, that's quite true, up to a point. It seems some of it is not quite as bad as we may think.

      Delete
  5. I'll listen to that later, right now I'm watching an old TV show that I used to enjoy but forgot about until my daughter handed it to me on a usb.
    Dharma and Greg. It's really funny. Probably not your type of show, but I'm loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I do remember the name, but I don't think I watched it.

      Delete
  6. As an American citizen I can tell I'm scared of what Trump might do to the present health care system, as flawed as it already is, but then I didn't vote for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, I wonder how far he can go? It is scary.

      Delete
  7. "Getting your head around America's health care system" consists primarily of understanding that it's not based upon "care" but upon profit. Even Obama had to all but give a black check to private insurance companies in order for their lobbyists to allow Obamacare to be made law, but at least Obama wanted to do what was right, while his replacement only wants to promote more wealth for the already obscenely wealthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Snowbrush. I suppose it is good that Obama got as much as he could through and how terrible it will be if it is wound back.

      Delete
  8. Ah! Your mother has a wonderful side to her but shows her true self to you and R = family...can relate to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, one day I will the words right to describe Mother, hopefully for her eulogy.

      Delete
  9. We're all wondering if Trump is going to get us all killed. He's filled his cabinet with billionaires, to pay them back for large campaign donations. None of them could possibly have any knowledge of the average American citizens life and struggles but even less knowledge of how the poor struggle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I am afraid 2017 is going to be an interesting year in the States.

      Delete
    2. "Strayer, I am afraid 2017 is going to be an interesting year in the States."

      I think Strayer would agree when I say that that's what we're afraid of.

      Delete