Monday, December 12, 2016

I am very pleased to help

Only a few weeks ago I was contacted by a book author with a request to use one or two of my blog photos. Oh, I am to be a famous photographer! I was quite happy for my photos to be used, especially as it was a worthy cause. Firstly I had to dig around and find the blog posts with the photos so that I had a date, and then dig around to find the originals on cd at full resolution. I found them and emailed the photos.

It seemed to be a very short time line from when I sent the photos to when the book was launched with a guests the very decent Tim Costello and the local State Parliament member. I was invited to the launch but I was working. First contact with me was made on November 16th and the book was launched on November 30th.

While I have not read it yet, it looks absolutely terrific. R is keen to read it too and it is a book I would have paid the $30 to buy. My interest? I have lived longer in the City of Port Phillip, Elwood, Balaclava and St Kilda Road than anywhere else. I do rather like being a citizen of CoPP, much as I complain at times, especially about this little underfunded and neglected enclave of St Kilda and Queens Roads. Even the late Baroness of Balaclava gets a run in book, I noted as I flicked through.

I researched the Port Phillip Housing Association and how it is funded some time ago. From memory after seeding funding by the City of Port Phillip, it is a self funding housing trust with income from tenants. The web site is very informative and can be found at this address http://www.ppha.org.au/ .

The book was launched at the St Kilda Town Hall on the 30th anniversary of the setting up of the trust.

The book is available from the Port Phillip Housing Association, in person or by mail plus postage. Contact details are at the the Housing Association website listed above.


My photo used.


26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. Hope you are not feeling too old in God's own retirement city.

      Delete
  2. Wow Andrew Congratulations, In my opinion you are one of the best blogger. Your posts are long and ver well prepared. Take care..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, what lavish praise. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. My goodness! No time was wasted between contacting you and the launching of the book! Wow! Wow!

    And I can imagine how thrilled you were/are! Congratulations! Good on you! :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog, Andrew...I hope you make many more visits. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, it must have been already to be printed, surely. I guess they don't put the lead letters in boxes in printing presses now.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations.
    It looks like a gorgeous photo too.
    Happy reading to you and to R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC. I am happy the way it turned out in the book. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Andrew, what a buzz and a thrill, the photo looks great in the book.
    Same has happened to me with photos but for travel brochures by NSW government and paid for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Margaret. It does make you feel a little special. Years ago an organisation asked to use one of my photos, and as it was I think commercial in nature, maybe I should have asked for a fee. I just checked, Schmap is still going. Link under Honours on the left.

      Delete
  6. Not sure what housing association would be. Not much housing project around here. But we could use more subsidy housing. Where a person pays 20 to 30 percent of there income for rent.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Housing Association is the same as subsidised housing. We call it public housing and pay 25% of our income.

      Delete
    2. Dora, as River says but I am not sure if the same standard is applied to PPHA. It probably is, but it is a local council organisation and not a state or federal government org.

      Delete
  7. and is your name in the book?
    Woo-Hoo! I know someone almost famous :)
    It looks like a good book, something I'd like to read. Maybe libraries will carry a copy soon and I'll get a look at it. That's a lovely photo they used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, bottom right of the photo used is my name and I covered over my surname.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, libraries are very responsive to book requests, so do ask for it.

      Delete
  8. Looks so good there Andrew, nice work! It's quite a buzz when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grace, I expect more than one of your photos have been used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff, it's a lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, although I never thought so at the time.

      Delete
  11. Did they acknowledge your contribution? I think it's wonderful that your work has been recognised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maire, yes, bottom right of the photo. I covered up my last name. It was a nice experience.

      Delete
  12. Oh no, now you won't answer my comments when you are famous and sinfully rich. You are on your way! At least they didn't just steal the photos off your blog, as has happened to me, and if you found out later, said a few non meaningful words of fake apology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, by asking me they received a plug on my blog and I received the book. Win, win. That I know of, no one has ever used a photo of mine without asking. I assumed because I don't take good photos!

      Delete