Sunday, December 18, 2016

I am appalled

Social events have left me exhausted and I didn't think I would post anything for Sunday and I didn't on Saturday. But outrage can be such a motivating emotion. Thanks to Twitter Metro Man, and Dame ODyne for the retweet, and Channel 7 tv news.

Indeed, when your superiors up to the CEO work at weekends, then perhaps it is appropriate for big business to talk to workers about reducing penalty rates. My own job would not be worth doing if it was not for penalty rates.



The evil State of Victoria's dictator in the 1990s, Premier Jeff Kennett, had plans for trains. Instead, belatedly, five of the train lines have been extended, service intervals have been reduced, trams run later in the evening and earlier on Sundays, we have weekend all night trains, trams and buses and the construction of public transport reformation is underway, by the construction of the Metro Rail underground.


Like almost? all western countries, Australia's poor are getting poorer and the rich are getting richer. That someone can spend AU$326,000, US$238,000, €228,000, £191,000 on an almost empty small timber box on the beach is beyond belief. Such wealth should be taxed back to sensibility before the working class rise and call for their heads. The problem is that working class aren't too badly off here. Our working poor are not terribly poor and our taxes look after most of who are in need, with some gaps. I am still outraged about the inequitable wealth in Australia.



I am in the mood for going on, but I am so tired, I would get really silly. I wanted to mention the grass on top of Parliament House, but so tired. Good night.

19 comments:

  1. That is a most excellent letter from a politician. Sadly I think that the cracks are widening and more people are falling through. And if our current guvermint gets its way the cracks will become chasms.
    I hope you are less tired today.
    And I was glad to see that hundreds of people rolled down those grassy slopes yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the rolling on the grass was an effective protest as it received lots of coverage.

      Delete
  2. I don't think we're here in United States will be doing much better with our future President Trump. Unless you're rich beyond rich.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, your gap is even worse than ours and I can't see it improving under Trumpet.

      Delete
    2. Dora

      Thump received votes from hard working families who live from pay cheque to pay cheque? Unbelievable. He doesn't even pay tax!

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of money for a box on the beach. One tidal wave and you're left with a plot of sand.
    Your public transport system seems to be improving faster than ours, all night on the weekends is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that would be so funny if they were all swept away. I doubt they would be allowed to rebuild.

      Delete
  4. I like Kevin Thomson's letter, especially the final two paragraphs. Touché.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it's an old theme but stands the test of time.

      Delete
  5. I love your cabin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, send me some Euros and I will buy one for you.

      Delete
  6. I believe that the majority of people couldn't survive or wouldn't want to without penalty rates because people don't like having money taken off them and are not prepared to change their life style for less money. House get larger when built, people want everything and the best in them, not prepared to wait but then on the other hand ridiculous prices are asked and demanded for many things including a home - sad really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I agree with you about people wanting everything from day 1, monster houses fully furnished. That is not how people our age began our lives, certainly not me. I remember a bus driver I vaguely new. Their union agreed to trade off Sunday double time to time and one half for a payrise. Ten years later plus the pay rate has dropped compared to other wages and of course the penalty rate will never be increased. The government needs to scrap negative gearing and subsidising new home buyers, and then reduce immigration numbers to allow the market to adjust.

      Delete
  7. A nice way to be exhausted from enjoying yourself. I agree with your disenchantments. I think it is sad that my youngest daughter can't buy a house in Melbourne because of the ridiculous prices,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I find enjoying myself increasingly tiring when enjoying myself. We have done more today. Had your daughter put in foot in the market place with perhaps a modest 1 or 2 bedroom flat early with her partner they might be able to by now, if not earlier. That doesn't allow for the personal circumstances of their lives though, but now, to house four people in any good area requires an awful lot of money.

      Delete
  8. The almost empty small timber boxes along our beach are worth about $71.49 in timber and labour. So why are people cashing in for a fortune? Because there are so few early 20th century bathing boxes left intact and no-one is allowed to build new ones.

    Of course we could build new ones!!!!! Who are the seaside councils protecting here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Hels, that would be about right, $71.49. Actually, I might add a zero to that, thinking about the price of timber. Bathing boxes are for the elite, obviously, and so I am dead against them. Council land goes to the high tide line, I seem to recall, so they would be on council land and I think it is more a matter of protection of the foreshore and access that doesn't allow for any new bathing boxes.

      Delete
  9. The rich poor gap is incredible here while the head of the house of representatives and others debate whether a poor man, if sick, should be left to die in the streets. I have a feeling things might get worse with our new president now padding his cabinet to be with nothing but the richer than rich, who got rich off the backs of the poor workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All too depressing Strayer. I wonder what Trumpet's health care plan will be once he gets rid of Obamacare.

      Delete