Thursday, December 01, 2016

A simple thing for our critters

This was inspired by Sandra's fox post. My father could be quite cruel to animals. His absolutely most favourite and loyal cattle dog, Cindy, was once hung in a hessian bag on the clothes line for a number of hours as punishment for a misdeed I cannot remember, but was probably just dog like behaviour. Cindy lived to be quite old and one day Father had to do the deed and it was the only time I saw tears in my father's eyes.

Cruel to animals he could be, but not different to other farmer in the 1960s. Any death meted out to animals was quick and clean. There was one thing Father always insisted upon, that the tops of tin cans be squeezed together before disposal. Disposal of rubbish back then was probably dumping in the bush. Most of what was dumped was biodegradable, except for oil based products, which would last a long time.

I don't like rats, I don't like snakes, I don't like seagulls, I am not keen on pigeons (sorry Merle), doves or horses but I don't want to see them suffer. I takes about one second and why not do it just in case. Squeeze together the top of your empty cans before disposal. You don't know where they will end up but by squeezing the top, you may well prevent a creature dying a most awful death with its head stuck in a can. Dogs are especially prone but I imagine foxes and some of our native animals are also prone.


16 comments:

  1. Andrew I totally agree with you I don't like whemn animals suffer. I am dogs lover ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, very few of us do. Sometimes they suffer because we are careless or people are motivated by profit.

      Delete
  2. Yes.
    And my father too wept when he had to shoot a much loved dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it seems men can become very attached to their dogs in a way you would not expect, especially working dogs.

      Delete
  3. Such a simple but wonderful thing to do. Thank you for writing about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. As you say, so simple.

      Delete
  4. That's excellent advice for people who just chuck their rubbish anywhere, but, a big BUT, if they are so uncaring as to chuck their rubbish anywhere they please, they wouldn't care about crushing the cans either. These days, with most people using the recycling option, cans aren't sent to landfill or thrown out in the bush anymore, so the danger is minimised. I don't recall anyone in our family ever abusing any animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, quite true. Abuse is perhaps a too strong word for how Cindy was treated, but I wonder if people in cold countries treat animals better because they spend much closer proximity to them in winter. ie, when they are brought indoors out of the cold. Just a thought.

      Delete
  5. off topic, a joke for you: What do you call a young locomotive? A trainee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, River. Up my sleeve as a dad joke for Little Jo.

      Delete
  6. Good advice Andrew.
    Way back then dog on farms were just a working animal and were treated as such. My late parents never liked dogs, they were born on a farm till they ventured to the city, even my little dog when he was alive wasn't permitted into their house, but I let it in :) got away with it because it behaved and sat where I told it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret, yes, ours were never allowed inside. I think they were chained up at night in their kennels, often a 44 gallon drum cut in half lengthways. If they were allowed to roam, they would be at risk of wild dog or dingo attack. Most farming people do like dogs, I think, so maybe your parents were the odd couple out. There was never much affection for farm dogs, but they were extraordinarily faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes we do need to be more aware of how we dispose of our rubbish Andrew. I know a few country families and they are very different from city folk in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be cruel isn't nice at all...Doesn't matter what it is or who it is.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no tolerance or stomach for people who are cruel to animals or other humans. I see no reason to kill anything without just cause and if it must be, then, quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grace, now I don't really know country people so your remark is interesting.

    Dora, of course. It is now the third world where cruelty is the worst.

    Strayer, in a way that is a motherhood statement and no one could disagree. It is in the production of food where the most cruelty happens and we need to be aware.

    ReplyDelete