Wednesday, December 28, 2016

A few years ago local tv games show host Andrew O'Keefe, nephew of Mother's lust object singer the late Johnny O'Keefe, was filmed when drunkenly falling into a Chapel Street gutter with a cigarette in his hand.

O'Keefe is quite a high achiever by what I see on the tele box (I think that is Fen Speak) yet how interesting it was to see him humanised, fallible and susceptible to vices no less than the rest of us.

Perhaps in inanimate objects I like perfection but to be human is to fail at times. Our brains are huge and within our brains is not only what we have learnt, what is instinctive but our also emotions, our foibles and our weaknesses. The human brain is truly extraordinary, far above that of any other animal, yet in spite of that, it does not always work so well.

It sounds like I am about to establish an apologetic reason for Hitler's behaviour, but at least he and his cronies had conscious thought and it was a plan carefully thought out in an almost clever plan. Unfortunately for him, other clever brains stymied his efforts, eventually. Worse still is thrill kill. What on earth is in their brain that makes that happen?

Perhaps they have inferior brains, more akin to lower mammals, like the Australian dingo (a dog like creature) who once have sated their hunger by killing sheep, will continue to kill sheep, but not for the reason of hunger. They will abandon their dead prey and not return. Cats, not content to kill and eat, will slowly torture their prey to death.

(Well, that is interesting. I wonder what point I was going to get to? I must have been drunk)

13 comments:

  1. I remember that about Andrew - was disgusted it reminded me of days gone by when my dad used to have to put the drunks in jail for being drunk and a nuisance. Years ago of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I am quite sure he was pretty disgusted with himself, the next day, as you father would have no doubt seen too.

      Delete
  2. Pissed again, Camera Face? Dingos were always blamed by farmers for sheep killing until research discovered they went for smaller prey and it was the damn big swooping eagles that took sheep. Cats like Fen's Bengal would eat out a neighbourhood if left alone while my cat would die of exhaustion waving his paw for help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I don't get pissed, just a little chatty at times. You can't be a control freak when you are drunk. Yes, so then farmers got stuck into eagles and nearly wiped them out. Fortunately their numbers have recovered. Laughed out loud at the mental image of your cat.

      Delete
  3. Interesting thoughts Andrew. Maybe you should read some of those books written by FBI profilers and find out why criminals do what they do, or at least learn what the FBI profiler thinks about why they do what they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I have seen them on tv and read a few books. They aren't always right but it is interesting to understand their thinking and what they can tell.

      Delete
  4. While living in the country we had a cat who would proudly bring us the lambs tails he had caught. And tell us of the fight they gave him.
    I have shared the house with killer cats, and total wimps.
    Are you really a control freak? It doesn't come across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, docked tails, no doubt. R says I am control freak. I prefer to have someone competent around me, because if they are not competent, that is when I feel the need to step forth. Mostly I am easy going, especially when people kindly and generously do things for me.

      Delete
  5. Crikey Andrew ..... you never cease to amaze Mum with your thoughts. She hasn't got a brain that she's aware of but she tries very hard every day to be a nice person. She doesn't always succeed though. She was very interested to hear that your Mother's lust object (as you put it, making Mum laugh out loud) was the late Johhny O'keefe. OMD ..... my Mum was crazy for him. She had all his records and used to go and watch him do his show Six o'clock rock and Sing, sing, sing at the television studios. AND talking about a human who failed at times... Crikey ..... Johnny O'keefe made his young nephew look like a Saint. Were you really drunk, Andrew?? Mum must always be drunk. She often starts something and has no idea about the point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a reply, where did it go? Of course your Mum is clever. She would not have chosen you if she wasn't. Mother was not quite as passionate as your Mum. Was it his wild boy image that was so appealing? All these Friday Flood posts are so old, I can't remember the point I was going on to make but it doesn't read to me like I was drunk. I have learnt to avoid the www after a drink....well pretty well.

      Delete
  6. Drunk or not, your thoughts trigger stuff I haven't thought about for decades.

    Wiki says Johnny O'Keefe was born in Bondi and went to the local Catholic primary school. My husband, who lived in Bondi and was educated at Waverley Primary School, says O'Keefe was a student at Waverley! O'Keefe was years older, but Waverley Primary was still talking about their star pupil decades later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it was lucky Joe did not go to a religious school and O'Keefe went there too. I doubt a religious school would have celebrated such a person.

      Delete
  7. I don't take it to heart anything about animals killing the way they do, for play or for food, not coming from humans, who run vast horrifically cruel factory farms to kill animals en mass to eat. Not to mention killing each other and killing to be killing. OUr big brains cannot handle progress, the fact we no longer, and for some time have not had to, behave like primordials.

    ReplyDelete