Saturday, November 19, 2016

Vent word solved

This is a snip from one of my posts about our roadtrip.

There was a fridge lock too, called Vent. Is vent known as locked in some other language? German? Gattina?

Gattina knows I think five languages and she did not know the word as locked in any language she knew. 

Margaret was travelling in her and her husband's caravan at the same time as we were and so probably did not read the post and I expect she would have explained the word and what it meant had she have read the post.

I have just discovered it for myself, but I will see if Margaret knows the word and what it is about.

Over to you in comments, Margaret.

Later edit: I discovered that when you are not using your campervan or caravan for an extended period, you need to leave the door of the fridge ajar to prevent a build up of smells or mildew. You vent the fridge by pushing the lever across so that the fridge door stays open when it is switched off and unused. With some fridges it is a pop out thing within the side of the fridge door or a plastic bit that just sticks out. Makes sense. 

16 comments:

  1. On microwave bowls and soup cups the word vent indicates where to open the lid so steam can escape while heating, similar to a vent on any heating appliance. Saves the whole thing from blowing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I saucepans lids had handles that could rotated to let steam out. Eventually they succumbed to 'dishwasheritis' and had to be replaced by some new handles that we found in a village in northern Japan.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for link :)
    'Vent' is the outside vent behind the fridge on the side of the RV or caravan. If the 'vent' comes off or you pull it off there are I think either 2 or 4 clips usually black that wear out over time and need replacing. Hence 'Vent lock'.
    I presume I have it correct..
    No, I didn't see your post regarding the 'vent' due to being away as you said :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Margaret, not in the case. I should have described it. It is a lever on the door of the fridge, which we thought was to lock the fridge.

      Delete
    2. Oh ok. We don't have that Vent on our fridge to keep door open, was aware of that Vent lock :) seems strange I didn't mention it....

      Delete
    3. Margaret, it really makes sense. So how do you keep your fridge door ajar to stop smells etc?

      Delete
    4. the door stays open because there is a latch that stops it from closing. when you want to close the fridge you have to push it closed & it latched, it can be heard.

      Delete
    5. Ah, got it now.

      Delete
  3. You must have missed my answer ! I told you that "vent" means Wind in French !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, no, I did not miss it but wind did not make any sense in the context of the fridge lever.

      Delete
  4. So I was sort of right, vent meaning open to let steam or air out and in the case of the fridge, let moisture out too to prevent mildew. Ever tried to clean mildew off rubber door seals? It's near impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly in the right direction, River. No, I've not had to do that, fortunately.

      Delete
  5. Well I'm glad that's sorted out Andrew 😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes, it took a while to get there.

      Delete