Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Thieving and just another Sunday

The car wash in Altona was busy and we had to wait about ten minutes for a vacant bay. The Mazda needed and received a good clean. Rain on Tuesday will spoil its pristine look but it is clean on the inside too. Funnily the dirtiest floor area for the car the car that is used almost daily by a single driver was the passenger floor.........that would be where Mother sits. I found a $2 coin there as I was vacuuming the car. It must have been Mother's $2 coin. I slung it into housekeeping money once I was home. She won't get it back, not directly anyway.

As is our want, and is becoming a habit, we went on to Altona Village. It was a warm day and so Altona Beach was very busy, as was Altona Village with parking at a premium, but we parked in the Coles carpark without too much bother and bought something in Coles before we left, so our consciences are clear. Up near the station was a place we have lunched at before and it we chose it again and it was very nice. It was a bit less busy at this end of Pier Street. I could not believe how busy the beach was.

It is a rather crap train service on the Altona Loop, as Misguided Jenny informs me in Tweets. Trains are frequently diverted from the loop to the mainline meaning a gap of 44 minutes between trains. It shows on the live Metro Trains app as 'minor delays'. It is a single track, so you can't have trains going in both directions without a place for them to pass. However, trains seemed to be plentiful as we lunched, so I must check Marcus Wong's rail maps as to where there are passing places for trains on the Loop. Trains from the city were delivering lots of people from the city direction. There is also a Saturday and Sunday afternoon bus service from the city.

R had the breakfast bruschetta and I had the lunch bruschetta. Ok, I will give them a gig. It was quite good and is called Runkle Dell Rouge. Bruschetta is an Italian word and has a hard centre c, but it is usually pronounced in Australia with a soft ch. I never know what to do. Be correct or be as others do. At the end of the day my pronunciation was neither and quite an ugly word stumble. (Confirm about Italian pronunciation please Bunyip)

As we finished lunch, I let R know of my secret plan. We will journey on to Sanctuary Lakes to see what the housing developments there are like.

Oh my god. I was shocked. These are houses where the word McMansions applies. It was all very clean and neat, with lots of ground cover roses in public spaces in full bloom, nice green grass and immature trees. Yet, it felt kind of fake, like the houses were a movie facade and there was nothing behind the houses. Most of the development is two storey but there was an area of single storeys, the cheap seats I suppose. Did we like the development? No, not really, not for us. We took a full circuit of the development with a couple of diversions to housing islands. This is a typical house at Sanctuary Lakes.


What attracted me to have a look was the layout of the area on a map, and you can see all the little islands full of houses with bridges across to them. The area of blue to the right looks like it is water, but it is coastal swamp, swamp marshes?,  and not very attractive.

If you want to go anywhere else from the area, it seems you use Point Cook Road, which has a very convoluted path to the city to Geelong freeway, or Sneydes Road. I don't know about Sneydes Road, but Point Cook Road is narrow and very congested and I can't imagine what it must be like in peak travel times. Both roads are often mentioned in radio traffic reports. There was a minor accident on the freeway on the way home, so we crawled over the West Gate Bridge, adding about 15 minutes to our journey home. Melbourne is a miserable place to try to get anywhere by car. The horrendous traffic is relentless and spoils your outing before you are anywhere, even when going out in the earlyish morning. Our journey was to principally to wash the car at a very good and cheap car wash. If we were just going to Altona for lunch, we would have caught the train, and aside from a change of trains on the way, it a pleasant journey.


One of R's very elderly clients, who as a volunteer he takes her somewhere quite often, told him of one of her outings. She lives in  a Beaconsfield Parade apartment in St Kilda, so I would guess she was not short of a quid.  She goes down to Station Pier at times to watch cruise ships depart. I said to R, that sounds like the nerdy sort of thing I would do. R replied, well we should. So, we went to Station Pier to see the Golden Princess depart at 16:00. She had visited Phillip Island the previous day, which I think is a first for a cruise ship. We arrived at quarter to four, and mein gott, was it busy. It was a warm day and so many people were at the beach, as well as Spirit of Tasmania passengers and those seeing off people on the Golden Princess. The traffic was very heavy but we easily parked in our secret spot and no, it is a secret spot, for one hour's parking. Fork lifts were busy loading the ship at 3:50. Fork lifts were busy loading at 4:00. Fork lifts were busy loading at 4:10 when we left, a little disappointed. A woman had suggested to us that she did not think it would sail until 5:00. I was lying on my bed at home when she came into view at 5:45. The ships usually depart on time, so we were just unlucky. Another time.

I believe the wide part at the top at the arse end stern is a restaurant, with good views.


I can't remember where I first saw this mode of having fun. I did not capture it but I was grinning ear to ear and I caught his eye and he smiled back at me (or maybe his girlfriend or a pretty girl was standing in front of me).



When the Spirit of Tasmania is alone at Station Pier, she looks to be of an impressive size, a decent sized ship. But when a cruise liner is at the pier, the Spirit looks like a little boat.


As you can see, a chap was was fishing and you can see his rods.


Later: This morning, Monday, I was working out what was owed to who for yesterday's outing. I thought, who payed for lunch? It wasn't me and I don't remember R paying. I asked him and apparently neither of us paid. We just stood up and walked off down the street. I rang the business and they had noticed that we hadn't paid. I offered to pay by card over the phone, but they didn't have the facility. He asked if we lived nearby and of course we don't and we are on the other side of town. He then said, don't worry about it. I told him that we are over that way about every three to four months, so we will pay then. Oh, the shame, but honestly, we are not fully to blame. When we were asked if we were finished and the plates were cleared, and asked if we wanted more coffee and said no, we should have been brought the bill. We have come close to walking off without paying elsewhere too. The cafe will get its money eventually, non adjusted for inflation.

21 comments:

  1. Oops on the paying for lunch front. It gives you the perfect excuse to go back sooner than later though for more eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, did I mention eye candy? Yes, there was plenty. You know me too well.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:45 am

    Sometimes you get food so bad you don't want to pay for it. Last night's chicken dinner was tough and dried out. Never mind, at least you'll have all of us to visit you in the Melbourne Remand Centre. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, you are such a caring person. Yes, rare for us, but at times you don't get the best of food and don't feel like paying.

      Delete
  3. Crickey Andrew ... You blokes sure live an exciting life, aye? Mum stole a book once. She was going to buy it and just stuck it under her arm while she looked at other books. She found some others to buy and went to the cashier. She paid for all except the one under her arm. The cashier didn't even notice. When Mum got to the car she realised what she'd done. She did go back and pay for it. How many people would do that? Not many I reckon ... I knew you were a good bloke Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, only exciting is spurts. Good on your Mum for her honesty. I would worry about being caught by a guard while taking the book in that you haven't paid for.

      Delete
  4. Ships, whether small enough for inside the Bay or large enough to be ocean going, look fantastic. Ports are my favourite part of coastal cities and make great photos, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, there is such a romance about ships. As you may recall, next year I will go on my first sea cruise. I like ports and long distant train railway stations. Airports? No!

      Delete
  5. I always pay for lunch before sitting down. If I eat a great dessert then I'm in heaven and just wander off so better to pay first. And, yes, I have left a child behind but the cake was so delicious and he did catch up with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, that is not a bad idea, pay first that is, not leave the child behind.

      Delete
  6. Yes, you should have been given a bill, that's the norm or go to the cash register as you go out to pay. Not your fault as you said.
    The Spirit looks rather a large ship on it's own, but a toy one when that cruiser was berthed when we were to come across.
    Good you have a 'private secret' parking place, no hassle that way and a load off the mind.
    Always rains or spits when you washed the car - it's Murphy's Law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, partly our fault, but when it is clear that diners have finished, then bring them the bill. Simple.

      Delete
  7. Living on the wild side eh? Eating and not paying, I think that's funny, but I would go back and pay too.
    I used to like wandering around new housing estate, imagining which house I'd like to live in, only when the homes were still display homes, so I could look inside too. I gave that up several years ago.
    I think I'd like to spend an afternoon watching a cruise ship leaving harbour. I saw a few when I lived at Semaphore, but they were too far offshore by then, not close enough to see detail. It's too inconvenient to go out to Outer Harbor from here, there's buses and trains and waiting times involved for both :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it just ocurred to me that the cafe might have us cctv! We could have been on Crime Stoppers! Yes, at least at Station Pier you can see them reasonably closely although the pier itself is closed to visitors while cruise ship are docked.

      Delete
  8. I've never been to one those fancy car washes. Ones in while I'll take rig in and for about two bucks I'll wash the car. Or I'll use the garden hose.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, it is very much hands on, we do the washing, at this place at least. It costs $6 which includes vacuuming the interior, but we do the work. A good automated car wash costs about $15 and a hand job can be had for $35. (what did I just say???)

      Delete
  9. Dare I ask? Umm, what is the difference between breakfast bruschetta and lunch bruschetta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, the breakfast bruschetta came with two poached eggs on top and cost about $3 more.

      Delete
  10. Kudos to you for calling back about the unpaid bill. Many, many folks wouldn't have bothered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, regardless of honesty, I would like to go back there and to that area and not be looking over my shoulder. For all I know, they could have printed out stills from cctv and plastered them up behind the counter.

      Delete
  11. Do you always have to throw in a line that makes me choke while drinking my tea Andrew 😁😁😁 I can just see your face when the realisation hit you.. I almost did the very same thing today after a stressful appointment in West Perth 😊 To be fair I have been struggling with a shocker of a headache the past two days. Fishing rods, what fishing rods 😋

    ReplyDelete