Thursday, November 03, 2016

The Age Not Good Enough

"...Brisbane and Mr Sharma's native India." Indeed Mr Sharma is male.

"...broke down as he paid tribute to Ms Sharma, who was engaged to be married." Apparently there is some doubt about the sex of the victim of a most horrendous crime. 

"...said Mr Sharma's death has shaken everybody in council to the core." The odds have it two to one that the late Mr Sharma really is a bloke. There is an appeal for, I guess, the family of Mr Sharma and you can donate here, which I expect will be used to cover his family's costs and maybe a memorial. Quite worthy. No, the Brisbane City Council is paying for a memorial and started the fund with a $10,000 donation. Google BCC Manmeet Sharma Trust Fund.

I am not a great proof reader of my own writing and probably not of anyone else's but with this debacle the other day, and the one above.....well, I can read The Age newspaper electronically for free. It is not so hard. I choose to pay a monthly subscription of nearly $30 for the electronic access because I believe in The Age. This sort of thing really puts me off. I know the difficulties of print media in these times, but truly, it is not good enough. I can make mistakes when I write, as can my blog mates and I care not so much. But no one is paying to read us. 

The Guardian in its Australian electronic version has made quite an impact and I love it. Unfortunately it can't cover the smaller stories in my home city, which I call the car crash stories. The Guardian Australia is asking for a $100 donation from its electronic readers. I am sorely tempted to donate and cancel my Age subscription. 

I don't blame the journalists or compilers or......do they have electronic proof readers? They are under extreme pressure from cost cutting and to produce more in a shorter time. It is management that must take responsibility. 

I used to read Thailand's Pattaya Mail online in earlier days of the internet and there simply weren't the errors that I now see in The Age. I just took a look now after many years and the paper is professional and with a quick peruse, I can't spot errors, no matter what the editorial stance of the paper is and it is not even in the language of the country. We have all been amused at times by Chinglish but it is not the case with the Pattaya Mail. 

So The Age, in my opinion you are reducing costs and standards in areas that are important to me. Save some money by dropping your sports coverage or something like that. The Guardian will probably snap up Caro. I pay my subscription because of loyalty to your product. I used to be loyal to my local chemist and to my hairdresser. I am no longer because they failed me. You are on notice. 

18 comments:

  1. I pay for electronic access to The Age's Sydney equivalent the Sydney Morning Herald. I have tried to change my email account with the SMH with only limited success. Some pockets of the SMH continue to use my superseded account and now I receive messages in unwanted multiple amounts.

    That is not a major inconvenience but an inconvenience nonetheless.

    More disappointing though is how slow the SMH electronic paper is to update its news especially over the weekends and holidays. I thought the point of an electronic edition would be that it can be kept right up to date. That is not the case with the SMH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I too changed my email address and it seemed work well enough. I agree about the updates. Of course your subscription should give you access to The Age too, and a couple of other electronic papers.

      Delete
  2. Andrew I love reading newspapers in electronic version it is cheaper and more comfortable and very common here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is the way of the future but somehow, we much pay for high quality.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:10 am

    I believe the Fairfax papers which includes The Age, is now sub- edited in New Zealand as part of cost cutting measures. That began back in 2013. A pity they didn't outsource management as well. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, I too heard that a couple of years ago. It hasn't seemed to have worked very well.

      Delete
  4. I don't subscibed to our local paper, Bonners Ferry Herald. But believe me at one time there was plenty of errors. Hopeful with new tech they're doing better.
    But I should say much I do plenty of spelling and grammer slip ups on my blog.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. opps...should be shouldn't

      Delete
    2. Dora, the opposite seems to have happened. Tech has made things worse. We like the way your write, quirky but good and entertaining.

      Delete
  5. I am a woeful proof reader. But don't charge anyone to read my blitherings.
    Sadly, I think editing often gets left to machines, which accepted Ms.Sharma because it is a valid term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I can not remember you ever making a writing mistake. We could allow spell checker to take over our lives and it would allow a similar mistake, but we check.

      Delete
  6. I don't read many newspapers, I simply don't care enough about that many news stories. I'll listen to the TV news if I remember, usually I have a few DVDs running instead. Not all at once of course, I have only one player, but I have a couple of USB sticks with quite a few movies on them and I'll turn one of those on and just let it run through movie after movie, so I end up missing the news.
    I do, however, read the weekend papers and find that most of what I would have heard on TV is in them and that's enough for me. I do get intensely annoyed by all the unnecessary commas and apostrophes though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you seemed to have used commas correctly in your comment. I can't remember seeing too many commas in papers and it can kind of be a personal thing, where to put in commas or not. At times there is no right or wrong.

      Delete
  7. Ugh, big pet peeve is simple errors like that. I use an incognito window to view The Age, I'm too tight to pay for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, it would be more tolerable if it was a typo in a less serious story. While I pay for The Age, I mostly read it via an RSS feed.

      Delete
  8. The local paper here is now reduced, if bought in the store, a couple of pages, yet the price for subscription has risen. You can buy an online version for $10 a month, but why spend that money, for an error ridden paper of such low volume? One can read the bare minimum online free, you are allowed 10 or so articles a month before your isp is blocked. But one need only clear cache and cookies to start the allowance again. I used to do that but now don't bother because its not worth the effort. It is error filled too, often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, an example of perverse economic logic, that is reduce the quantity and quality, and increase the price. Yes, clearing cookies would be a bother to do often and I like cookies to be there for other reasons.

      Delete
  9. Oh I'm so with you on this one Andrew, I know I make mistakes now and then, promptly pointed out by my editor 😊 but neither am I being paid for my efforts..but it does distract me horribly if I'm reading a book and find an error, especially if it's near the beginning because then I'm looking for more ☺

    ReplyDelete