Sunday, November 13, 2016

Sunday Selections

Very random Sunday Selections this week. River will probably use her own photos. Aside from one, these have been found on Twitter and Facebook. Sometimes I remember to save the names of who originally posted photos.

Covering up the company name, Gold Bus of Ballarat. There were injuries but no deaths.


Mid year was Bone Doctor's fortieth birthday party. The theme was the 1980s. I googled for inspiration for an outfit. "R, I've found something 80s we could wear, a crop top each."  Anyone who I have met is probably rolling their eyes at the thought, but there was a time....ah yeah, in the 80s.


'Sydney Buses travel alert: Minor delays to the Bronte to Railway Square service.'

Was it such a good idea to replace Sydney's trams with buses? Trams were so much safer. This was written before the terrible multiple fatality tram crash in Croydon, London. I thought of removing the photo but my readership in London is minimal, afaik.


Humiliation is not an emotion dogs feel, and it is just as well. (I think this was found at a blog, Sandra?)


I suppose the facade of the mighty Carlton and United Breweries may appeal to someone, but not to me.


"Mate, the media will be at the court. Don't forget to hide your face from the cameras".


The trams passing The Highrise come from either Malvern or Glenhuntly tram depots. This is a Malvern tram and I can easily tell  because of the line of bird droppings on the roof. Glenhuntly depot does not seem to have such a bird problem.


Way out west was a valiant attempt was made to get to heaven, one way or t'other, upwards or death.


He, its got to be a he, nudged the tree. I guess the owner decided now he had scratched his car, he did not want it anymore. The City of Yarra did not remove the car promptly. What happens to abandoned cars in the hipster, trendy, artistic suburb of Fitzroy? Photo by Robert King via Twitter.


They become works of art, painted in gold. Photo by @KimAroundTown via Twitter.


I heard a rumour that MOMA in Hobart has bought the car as a work of art.


We are in the running madness season. I think this was the first. There has been another, and another is scheduled for 20th November. They are so disruptive to people. We know about them and when they happen but many motorists don't and get into horribly long meandering diversions. I remember one friend trying to go to golf at Albert Park one Sunday morning and could not work out how to get across St Kilda Road and just went back home.


Jayne recently mentioned Pic-Nic Station. What? I've never heard of it. I do have rather a large collection of saved maps, and sure enough, there it is, or was, just before Hawthorn Station. I bet the other Jayne wishes Botanic Gardens Station was still there. Well, not really, while the name is good, the actual location was not the Botanic Gardens.

27 comments:

  1. Thank you for this eclectic collection. The line of bird dropping is so precise...
    On the younger/better body front, did you realise it at the time? My younger self was very very self critical. I suspect with little justification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the birds must sit on wires above where the trams sit overnight.

      Yes, young, slim, smooth and open to anything. I used it to my full advantage. I wished I was better looking, but you can't have everything and I did not lose sleep over that.

      Delete
  2. Andrew cars accidents are not nice but great warning before winter here today was the first snowy day and icy roads..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, via the internet I have some idea of the difficulties of driving on icy roads and I am pleased we don't usually have them, although some local areas do get black ice on the roads.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:39 am

    Crop tops - when you've got it, flaunt it. As time goes by and you start to sag, then that's why baggy clothing was invented. - Ian who, sadly, doesn't have shares in the Baggy Clothing Company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Ian, and I have. I don't really like baggy clothing though.

      Delete
    2. Generous sizing is better.

      Delete
  4. I remember a newspaper article recently that included a map of where Adelaide is planning to put down more tram lines after ripping them all up so many years ago. I'm sure there are many shouting "no! no!", but I'm in favour. Get to where you want and don't worry about parking, just like buses except trams hold more people.
    So is that you in the cute white crop top? Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River their are plans to extend the existing tram line and some other plans. The Obahn is old now and worn out and needs replacing and also an ideal place for light rail, but of course, it is all about money and budgets.

      Apart from the nice looking face, yes, it could have been me.

      Delete
  5. Some of the main highways in Queensland have 'wrecks' on the roadside - placed there by the police. They are there as a way of reminding drivers of what 'can happen'
    Loved the 'crim' hiding his face on one side but being revealed the other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I had not heard of the placements of wrecks. On the face of it, it seems like a good idea.

      Yes, the hiding crim, with a chrystal clear view of his face.

      Delete
  6. Ah the eighties I had a young baby so missed a fair bit of it for which I'm thankful.
    Buses, trucks, trains etc they all crash 's best to walk everywhere better for the planet and we would all be much fitter, it would take a while to get anywhere.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle the eighties were good. We had some innocence about us. Walking is good for your health. The most dangerous travel of all is the car trip to take to the airport.

      Delete
  7. Was it such a good idea to replace Sydney's trams with buses? NO NO NO. The buses spew out petrol and pollute the city air. The buses are huge and wander recklessly in the streets, risking life and limb of the cars below. As the lumbering buses turn corners, they create a new hazard.

    Trams are cautious, clean and predictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I so agree. The buses in Sydney blight the city with their noise and filth and jams of buses.

      Delete
  8. Never thought wreak rigs as work of art, but I seen a few piece people who a wiz with welding tourch and make some cool looking items.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, that sounds good to me.

      Delete
  9. Oh those cars, my goodness.
    What takes the cake for me is the dog, just priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, the mummy of our frequent visitor Dog Jack gave him a bath yesterday. It was not unlike the photo.

      Delete
  10. So did you wear a crop top?? An interesting collection of "stuff."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I did indeed. I can remember the colour of the top. I cut it by hand. About 20 years ago someone said to me, you are getting a little pot belly. It has been downhill since then. R never wore a crop top and was both embarrassed and pleased with the attention I received when I did.

      Delete
  11. I can totally see you rocking a crop top Andrew.. crikey I wore them too.. 300 years ago 😀 Too many car wrecks in this post for me Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I am sure that was no more than 20 years ago. Yes, I know about the crashes, and I did give that consideration. Sadly they do happen, as we know only too well.

      Delete
  12. That Montague St bridge is still collecting tall vehicles even after they installed those safety gantries several meters ahead of the actual bridge. Makes you wonder how quickly people are driving (or maybe they have really crappy reaction times and brake too late).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, indeed it is. Montague Street Bridge is invincible! It is not really a road you can travel very fast along. It seems to me just a lack of concentration on an important task, driving.

      Delete
  13. A and R in crop tops! Now that's something to keep me awake at night. The awful tram accident in Croydon has shocked us all. We tend to think of trams as being safe but no longer. The driver has bee charged with manslaughter but it will be a long time before we know what actually happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, there is a lot of guessing about what happened in Croyden. The time, with the driver having just began work, makes falling asleep unlikely, I think. I have read a few reports about English train crashes and they are very detailed and whoever conducts them seems to come at the report with a very open mind.

      Delete