Sunday, November 06, 2016

Sunday Selections

Joining with River and others for Sunday Selections with my usual random photos.

I had a birthday over two weeks ago and finally we got together with friends to celebrate. Two cards the same! Are people trying to tell me something?


A gift from Sister.


A gift from a friend. Take a close look. The monkeys are way cool.


Our sewing basket is full of all sorts of needles, threads and reels, and of course those needle threading things, essential for moi who may occasionally have to resew a button but then theatrically becomes hysterically incompetent and R does it for me.


The age of these pins could probably be dated by the Coles price sticker. 1980s, I should think.


A lovely piece of  work at the Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce. A friend works there and she has invited us to a Saturday afternoon party in a week's time. It is her last hurrah before her frail parents return from living the dream on Queensland's Gold Coast in Australia's tallest residential apartment building. They are old and need the care of their daughter. The paradise of God's Waiting Room did not turn out to be as practical or as cheap as they thought. Our friend has already adapted her stylish two storey house to accommodate them. She is heavily in debt, but when her parents die, she will be ok, and I guess her parents will pay board.


The dog across the road doesn't spend too much time alone but when it is left at home, it has a great time playing with whatever is suspended on the end of a rope.


Rather stupidly, I always wave to this dog when I see it. It's a very nice looking dog. The dog always looks up at me with a benign interest.


R exaggerates that our building is becoming like a slum. The dog above does make a mess. I've never seen it out being walked. Pretty ghastly to look down upon and doesn't happen too often. When we look after Dog Jack, he can cope with being taken out twice a day and never make a mess inside.


A new occupant has just moved in on our level. Classy look of a roll of stolen toilet paper. Now fortunately replaced by a container of many make up brushes and various cosmetics.


Do I take the photo through glass or open the door and probably alarm the bird and miss the photo altogether? I did the former.


This thing is back. It can move around at quite a speed. Send it back to River in Adelaide, please.


Unusual evening light.


The cockatoo was sitting on a balcony railing and then flew down to join the raven. The cocky made a non contact lunge at the raven but the raven was not worried and just moved away a bit. Young birds trying it on, I think. The cocky didn't hang around and dropped down the side of the building.



House fire in Richmond. I believe the unoccupied timber house was destroyed.

21 comments:

  1. Andrew I would like to try your Monkey. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, just the one glass of Monkey whiskey.

      Delete
  2. At least the friends who duplicated your card both consider you classy...
    Love that unusual evening light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, that wasn't the part I was worried about.

      Delete
  3. Surprised to see such a big dog as an apartment pet. I hope it gets walked frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple of large dogs here, Ad Rad. So far as I can see, the dog does not get walked. Maybe it is out late at night and I don't see it.

      Delete
  4. We once had a dog name Butch who sort of look like that dog in the window.
    As for this year during the holiday I might get a bottle of Scotch. I might see if they have Monkey Shoulder around here...Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, I find American whiskey too sweet and this whiskey was quite sweet, so you might really like it.

      Delete
  5. Was all this garbage here when you bought the Highrise or has it grown up around you?

    And you are a right little 'Peeping Tom'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has come and gone over the years, Jah Teh. I can't sit on my own balcony and take photos? Jesus, if I had someone like me looking in their bedroom windows, especially at night, I would simply close the blinds.

      Delete
  6. Hey! That's our blimp :)
    I think that item suspended on a rope for the dog is probably one of those toys that can hold edible treats for the dog to work at and retrieve. A great way to keep them occupied when you are not at home all day.
    I find it hard to believe you could ever be theatrically, hysterically incompetent.
    Love the Monkeys on the bottle, I saved that image to send to my son, he likes whisky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, given the interest the dog shows in what is on the end of the rope, I think you are correct.

      I was being theatrical in my writing. R will see my hands shaking and say, for goodness, give it here.

      If I can't remember if the Scotch was good, I guess I enjoyed it.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday, better late than never.
    You have a nice selection of photos to show.
    I hate anything put on window sills, it seems so untidy to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, me too about window sills. The candles in our window sat there for a couple of hours and were then put away.

      Delete
  8. The unusual evening light is VERY unusual! It could be any city and it could be any time of day (but not night).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the photo is probably a couple of months old. The problem with saving photos for a later use, is that you forget the circumstances in which they were taken.

      Delete
  9. I can't imagine you 'becoming theatrical' Andrew.. well maybe just a little bit 😀 Dogs in apartments absolutely need to be walked, considering hot air rises that can't be very pleasant for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, fortunately it is way out the front of the building. Andrew's alter ego, Blanche, can be very theatrical if she is let out.

      Delete
  10. Yuk they need to clean up after that poor dog, having to live in his own poo. Looks like he has diarrhea. Nice B day present that bottle, with the monkeys, I think. Fitting as a birthday gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, that photo was taken a few weeks ago. The problem seems to have lessened greatly, or gone. It arrived as a pup and is still one really. Perhaps house training is working. The bottle was also a gift for looking after Dog Jack.

      Delete
    2. Strayer, that photo was taken a few weeks ago. The problem seems to have lessened greatly, or gone. It arrived as a pup and is still one really. Perhaps house training is working. The bottle was also a gift for looking after Dog Jack.

      Delete