Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Rolling your Jaffas

I thought maybe Lombard Street in San Francisco might be a contender for the steepest street in the world, as Diane shows in this post but no, the world's steepest street is in Dunedin, New Zealand. Baldwin Street is made of concrete, as asphalt would just slide down the hill on a hot day. (Do they get hot days in Dunedin? It was cold and wet when we were briefly there) The street is much visited by tourists.


I wonder if your rubbish bin will stay upright when you put it out? Residents of the street have been studied by medical authorities and yes, one of their legs does become longer. (I should have saved that for April Fool's Day)


If you can read The Age online, you can see more photos here, including yoof making the street even weirder by standing at strange angles. 

There is an annual charity fundraiser held in the street, a Jaffa lolly roll competition down the Baldwin Street hill. What great fun. About thirty years ago, Mother and her friend were in town at a cinema and Mother dropped a bag of Jaffas as they were finding their seats. It was a timber floor and Mother caused much disruption as Jaffas rolled down stairs. Did she do it deliberately? I don't know, but quite possibly.  


Go on then, watch a little of the one minute video.


19 comments:

  1. I missed out on that when I visited Dunedin but maybe that was because it poured down the whole time i was there. Would love to have seen the jaffa rolling competition. I wonder what the prize was - a year's supply of jaffas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed out on the Jaffas as well. But I loved Dunedin because the ornamented Victorian architecture and the beautiful public gardens have mostly been saved. And Dunedin's scenic coastal tourist train is fun.

      Delete
    2. Marie, same for us, awful weather. I would like to return to New Zealand. It will be a very different place to what it was in the early 1980s. I don't know what the prize is. Maybe cash.

      Delete
    3. Hels, we missed a lot in Dunedin, including the railway station. There are some terrific trains to take in NZ.

      Delete
  2. Oh what fun.
    And oh the exercise you would get living on that street....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, plenty of exercise as you walk from your door to your car. Well, that's what I would be doing.

      Delete
  3. San Francisco has some hills. I live on gravel dead in road about 1/2 mile long (804 M) I hope that right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, yes, San Fran does sound like it has some very steep streets, such as the ones the cable cars travel along. Remember Streets of San Francisco on tv?

      Delete
  4. I never rolled my Jaffas down the aisle, I much preferred eating them. And I usually had Maltesers anyway.
    So do all those Jaffas in the video have little racing numbers on them? I wouldn't like to be the person who had to put them on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, each seemed to numbered but often the outing casing broke off, so they were clearly not going to be winners.

      Delete
  5. Amazing those houses..lol
    Jaffas, oh my reminds of the pictures long ago.
    Never knew there was a race! Learn something everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, old picture theatres with wooden floors......ah I don't really miss them.

      Delete
  6. what a job cleaning that lot up!! Fun though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, simply stand at the top with a hose and wash it down to the bottom.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the mention, Andrew. I remember the rolling jaffas in the picture theatre but I never did it on purpose, I preferred eating them. I didn't see that street in Dunedin either but we stayed in a B&B on a very steep hill. What a waste of Jaffas but i guess its fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, yes I remember where you stayed, but not that is was steep. Jaffas are ok, but not my favourite. I am happy to see them used for amusement.

      Delete
  8. Wot a 'orrible waste of jaffas! Yikes I couldn't live on such a steep street, especially at the top of the street, vertigo and the possibility of one shorter leg would do my head in 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it wouldn't do much for your knee, would it.

      Delete
  9. It absolutely wouldn't ☺

    ReplyDelete