Thursday, November 10, 2016

Peninsula Springs

We were no sooner back from our road trip than off again for an overnight stay on the Mornington Peninsula, the reason being last Christmas R received a bath house voucher for Peninsula Springs. Oh my goodness. I thought we would be among the Portsea and Sorrento blonde housewives set and feeling very out of place. We booked for Monday, hoping it would be a quiet day. Everyone else seemed to do the same and expected Monday to be a quiet day. There must have been at least 150 parked cars, with usually two people per car, plus bus loads who arrived. It was very busy on a working day Monday. While guests were welcome to take photos (promotion on Face Book) it was suggested that the photos should not feature other visitors to the springs. Fair enough.


The location is an area called Fingal, unknown to me. It could be described as being between Rye and Rye back beach or St Andrews Beach. We were ever so nervous but it turned out to be really good. We spent about four hours there, including eating a snack and coffee when we arrived and  a late lunch before we left . Towel, dressing gown, locker and something I have forgotten set us back $40 each. So much for a free voucher. There were Asians, Indians, old and young, a surprising number of men, Euro tourists. The word dahling was not heard once. All quite normal people and we enjoyed it immensely. The hot water springs are on the side of a hill, and there are various pools of different temperatures, maybe 20 pools, including a cold water plunge pool. The temperature of each pool is posted. There is a highly demanded hydrotherapy pool overlooking a nice lake with what I guess are fake frog sounds but they could be real frogs. At the very peak of the hill is a pool with wonderful views, but it was too busy for us to get into. While not directed at us, there was some comment at one pool about water overflow and water displacement when people got into a pool. It was all very pleasant and if hot spring mineral bathing is your thing, this was good. Ok, yes, we did cause considerable water displacement when we entered a flow in flow out pool.


It was one perfect day weather wise. R said, I wish the weather had been like this when we were travelling. I was hoping to record a boat landing disaster but instead watched a man get his very large boat onto a trailer with a lot of difficulty. There are three ramps side by side.


Mount Eliza is not a suggestion but a place.


Rye pier.


We stayed in a studio cabin booked in advance for a very cheap price, found at Wotif. I can highly recommend Kanasta Caravan park in Rye. But, we need to explain when booking as again the same thing happened, bedding for one double bed. Twin, you know, two separate beds and we need bedding for two beds. We worked something out and slept well enough.


Magpies are a bit of pest in the park. As I was loading the car to leave, I left the cabin door open and one hopped inside.


None of the birds took any notice of the deterrents.



Not bad sentiments. There were many permanent sites in the park, mostly old caravans without air con and a few dead tree branches on their roofs.


For us, two loud younger tradie guests next door were interesting. I know all about tradies. They have to work early the next day and so peak early and go to bed early. That came to pass. They were plumbers, visiting Rye on some kind of project. One, mid thirties, was thinking of taking on his twenty year companion as an apprentice. It did not quite get to the, 'I love you mayyyte', point, but pretty close with I admire and respect you, on both sides. I concluded straight blokes talk a lot of shit. I heard all this in the comfort of our cabin. We dined at the Rye Hotel, and lo and behold, so did the two plumber blokes from the cabin next door. They must have walked to the pub, we had driven. We left them there smoking and drinking and still talking rubbish. They arrived home not long after us, had a brief chat outside and who can imagine what they then got up to then, and as I knew it would be, and they went to bed at about 9:30. I heard their Mercedes diesel work van start up early the next morning as they left, but that is all. They had done their bonding the night before and there was nothing to say next morning.


When then Prime Minister Abbott abolished the carbon tax, praise the lord, I came across a form letter on FB sent out to small businesses from the PM. The owner of a Rye cafe had made some notations on the letter and put it on FB. I promised myself that next time we were in the area, this very sensible cafe owner deserved our patronage, and so we had brunch at Freaky Tiki in Rye and it was good. I hope this is readable.




Look at the tiny kiddies seating on the left. The staff were mostly or all male and would be quite at home in a Brunswick Street cafe. Very cool place.


R had beans with egg and chorizo. Out outdoor table was an old plywood surfboard. After brunch at Freaky Tiki, we set off for home with a stop off at Arthurs Seat which I wrote about here.



17 comments:

  1. YES hot spring mineral bathing is definitely my thing.. and full body massage. Rye is a gorgeous place to holiday in for a long weekend, and driving to their shopping centre is an absolute treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, while I can imagine you more in a Roman spa, I think you would like it there. We stayed there a few times when I was a kid, and we liked it.

      Delete
  2. Think it funny how people want to deterrents certain critters. Well here people does all certain crazy and including my self to keep the deers from eating up our plants.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, the problem at the park is that people feed the birds and so they hang around hoping for more and birds do make such a mess. Yes, I remember you mentioning deer. We have them here and they are a pest.

      Delete
  3. That's a lovely part of Victoria. You might remember our SIL's family have a beach house at Rye. Glad you enjoyed the hot pools. We went there for the hens party when Sonya was married in Rye.We stayed in a beautiful B&B . I wouldn't like to have to listen to the trade neighbour's conversations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I do indeed remember. It is an area so familiar to me from my childhood, for holidays and visiting Mother's relatives with my grandparents. I am not great at sitting and doing nothing, but I quite enjoyed the springs. Not sure I would go again though.

      Delete
  4. The springs sound good.
    You and R were like flies on a wall (as in the saying) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were like flies, not particularly willing ones.

      Delete
  5. It sounds lovely. And I do like that cafe owners comments. Rather a lot.
    Tradies peak early? Sounds fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I usually peak early too.

      Delete
  6. Love that open letter from Abbott and it brought to mind an article I tore out of our Saturday paper which tells us how Victoria is heading down the same wrong road SA took and your prices will rise, causing OUR prices to rise even further :(
    The cafe does look very nice and I love the kiddie seating.
    A dip in a hot mineral springs pool sounds absolutely wonderful to me. Hey look at that, my few drops of inherited Swedish blood is speaking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, our electricity prices will rise? They have fallen, quite a bit. Are you talking about SA windpower? I think you will be winners in the long run and I hope you are around to see it. We have a public hot spa at home, so it was not a great novelty for us, but the experience was quite good and I got to look at many men's chests, sadly not a muscular one to be seen, but some nice normal ones. I too have a drop of Scandinavian blood, but I can't recall if it is Swedish or Danish.

      Delete
    2. I could email you the article, but it's a long one.

      Delete
  7. All the names are totally familiar to me. (Fingal could be after ‘Fingal's cave) The early settlers must have been very homesick and taken their home town names with them.

    Sounds like a super place to go for a weekend, pity you didn’t have the sole use of some of the pools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friko, while we do use a number of Aboriginal names, most are from GB, along with a few from non English speaking countries.

      Delete
  8. I chuckled, as you may have expected me to, at the exhortation guests not capture other visitors in any photos they take.

    You would be their ideal audience on that point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I did not think of that but yes. I took a photo of R in a spa and managed not to get people in, and he took one of me in another spa. We have lost weight, but it does not show in the photos and we look look like fat gutted old men.

      Delete