Tuesday, November 01, 2016

New drawers

Misleading headline really. I did not buy new frilly underwear or even plain. What we bought was a new cutlery drawer insert. The old was the original and was looking dirty and worn and a knife had poked a hole in the back. R moved the knives to another slot, which had us setting the table with odd cutlery unless we concentrated.

We then made a very grave error. The largest shopping centre in the Southern Hemisphere, Chadstone, has been extended and the new part had opened a week or so earlier. R wanted to see it and buy something from Howard's Storage World and we knew from the Victoria Gardens branch that the shop also has drawer inserts. We had the measurements and set off along the great three chain wide Dandenong Road.

We had not even reached Chadstone when a car accident slowed us to a crawl for a kilometre or two. I didn't know which entrance to use so just guessed and we found ourselves in an underground carpark with not a clue where we were in relation to the shopping centre. The traffic stopped completely as people steered their cars into just vacated spaces. This is turning into the nightmare I thought it might be, but then Buddha smiled down on me and a car reversed out in front of me and I parked. Beads of sweat had broken out on my forehead and I could almost feel my blood pressure rising. There were attendants directing traffic and preventing a permanent gridlock, which certainly would have happened if they were not there. Where to now? Follow the crowd and we did, up some stairs and found ourselves in an area we knew.

But oh the crowds, the crowds. It was horribly congested. I live two kilometres from the centre of a city of over four million people and I never get involved in crowds and traffic like that. Firstly we needed food and the food courts were packed with people wandering around looking for a table. We eventually found a place that was smarter than we will really wanted with waiter service. The food was ok but unremarkable for the price.

I love maps and spend much time looking at maps, paper maps, in books and online, and sat nav devices but I really struggle with the interactive shopping centre maps where you select the shop you want and the screen shows the path to follow to get there. The directions don't make sense to me but we established the the shop was next to a large chain department store and there were signs within the centre indicating where the large store was. R did not buy what he wanted as they were reducing stock prior to renovations, but we did get the cutlery drawer insert. We quickly left the centre with me saying, never again. Once again I am furious that the centre does not have a train or tram running to it. Work has began on the new station to serve Southland Shopping Centre and that is where I will go once the station opens, if I must go to a large shopping centre. Victoria Gardens isn't very big but quite good and at least has a tram to get there.

As the drawer mostly was.You can see the hole where the knife went through the back.


This piece of glued down timber stops the insert sliding around and of course it was now in the wrong place. I whacked it with a hammer and the glue gave way and I reglued it to the correct position. I did try leaving it out as the new insert had non slip feet, but it still moved. Now I had to wait for the glue to dry.


Once the glue dried, I loaded it up with teaspoons on the right, then spoons, knives and forks, as you would when setting the table, so knives ended up one space to the left. Note the non slip surface in each compartment.


After R woke for his nap he said, that is not how it should be and rearranged to what I think is totally illogical left to right, knives, forks, spoons and teaspoons. As he uses the cutlery drawer the most, he can have his way. I just occurred to me, R is left handed and so maybe that influenced the way the cutlery is placed.


27 comments:

  1. Andrew looks great as we tell here German order. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like order, Gosia, but no German blood that I know over.

      Delete
  2. I suspect R's left handedness has EVERYTHING to do with it.
    Sigh on congested roads and shopping centres.
    I really like the non-slip inserts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I think so too, now.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9:45 am

    I find, more often than not, that when a traffic jam occurs, police directing traffic make the situation worse. Shopping centre traffic used to be really bad around Christmas, obviously, but now that chaos seems to extend nearly all year. Worst of all, I hate centres that don't have interactive maps by its entrances but allow you to wander deep into the centre before they finally reveal it. Usually near an information counter. Then you have to walk miles to find the shop you want. Absolute torture. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, certainly if traffic lights go out, the police can't deal with the traffic like the lights can. Yes, maps should always be at entrances.

      Delete
  4. Getting close to Christmas or the opening season of a new store is the worst time to shop. Everybody and his uncle is out there looking for a bargain. Sad to hear there was a traffic accident though, I hope no one was hurt.
    My cutlery drawer is the same as your old one and I have the cutlery the same way as R, knives on the left, forks in the middle, spoons on the right with teaspoons in the small section at the front.
    If I'd bought one like your new one, I would turn it the other way and still have the teaspoons in the small front section. My long section holds long handled salad servers and serrated steak knives.
    Perhaps in future years a tram line will run to that store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But River, you aren't left handed are you? I thought of that but it would mean the other cutlery is right at the back and the drawer is fully open in the photo. The drawer underneath holds all the other stuff.

      Delete
    2. Not left handed, but German, so maybe that has something to do with it as Gosia says.

      Delete
  5. I have always used cutlery drawer dividers, but now I have a new reason. When the grandchildren come for dinner, two of them set the table and two of them clear the table. Without dividers, the cutlery would be in total disarray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, that is a good reason and good that you get them to help.

      Delete
  6. Having had little ones 'setting the table' for more years than I like to remember I've been different to others and have always put my knives in the middle. That way bigger kids can pick them out but tiny little ones who tend to go to the side of a drawer can't reach them
    Big knives are stored in a different place. Different I know but then that's me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, that is where I think knives should be, with the spoons to the right and the forks to the left. But that is just me.

      Delete
  7. With this whole adventure, how did you find your car again ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, very small but easy to drive.

      Delete
  8. I was taught that spoons go in the middle insert because they weigh the most and the drawer will never be off balance.
    Funnily enough my dish dryer just died so I'll be at Southland looking for a new one at the $2 emporium.
    Can you imagine what Chadstone will look like at Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, you are bringing in skills to the drawer set up. I am impressed. Dish washer was it love? I will only imagine what Chadstone will look like at Christmas. Should a future visit be suggested, I will put my foot down with a firm hand.

      Delete
  9. I'm left handed too, but I put my knives on the right.
    That must be a very large shopping centre then, would be a long way to walk.
    Not fond of underground carparks but they are good all the same for many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, given what you drive around Australia, it is just as well you don't like underground carparks.

      Delete
  10. I don't think I've ever actually thought about which section to put the cutlery in, it just happens! God I'm not looking forward to Christmas shopping, it's a nightmare and I always leave it too the last minute. Every year I vow to be more organised but it never happens 😊 Your cutlery drawer looks very nice Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, someone had to once decide what when where in the drawer. We've made our Christmas shopping much easier now, as the nieces and nephew have mostly grown up.

      Delete
  11. I've had occasional vague intentions over the years to visit Chadstone whose fame had even reached me in faraway Sydney but after reading this post I think I will shelve these vague plans for another decade or two.

    Your post reminded me of my one and only rendezvous with friends at Brisbane's Chermside shopping centre a few Boxing Days ago. A horror park and visit experience that has left scars with me to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Victor, I don't get the attraction of large shopping centres that are so busy. Why do people put themselves through such a nightmare experience?

    ReplyDelete
  13. We went the day after the new bit opened. OH. MY. GOODNESS. Getting in what fine, coz we arrived earlyish. But the noise and the crowds. Nope. Then getting out...there were no parking attendants and yes, it was gridlock. Eventually, after not moving for at least 15 minutes, they all came running out and started things moving again. I hate shopping centres. Muchly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, Victoria Gardens is about the limit in size for me. I steer R away from the Ikea entrance. I always enjoy going through Freedom. I wonder where the parking attendants were? Perhaps they had just began work.

      Delete
    2. Or maybe they underestimated things and the alarm was sounded!!

      Delete
    3. Quite so Fen. But I don't think Chaddy ever underestimated anything about the impact its extensions would make. The curvy glass ceiling was quite nice.

      Delete