Friday, November 25, 2016

Mother shot herself in the foot

It is not often I put my foot down with a firm hand but on one occasion I did with R. Do not talk about Mother in front of the grandchildren the way we, her children, talk about her. They have great memories of their grandmother and the outings they went on every weekend with Mother and Stepfather.  They love their their Nan, and I don't want idle critical chitter chatter to spoil their memories. Of course they are not stupid and they see her decline, but I don't think they realise her manipulative qualities. They as kids would have seen plenty of friction between Mother and Stepfather, but they saw that with their grandparents on both sides.

This Sunday is ABI's birthday celebration. Mine at the Frankston RSL was great, with around a dozen blood relatives and a couple of non blood rels. Most of us were happy with the food, except for Tradie Brother. He is not the complaining type, so take it from me, his meal was not good. His platonic female friend complained and he was refunded the cost and given another meal for free.

Mother has been there three times, I think, and says the food is oily and so ABI's birthday was not to be there. Perhaps the Dick Whittington in St Kilda, she suggested, or the Lee Oak in Oakleigh, that has a good play area for the littleuns. Mother's manipulation failed. The Frankston RSL is such a convenient place for Tradie Brother and his children and two grandchildren. Easy for us, less than an hour's drive on the freeway. Not so bad bad for Sister, who can come across on the ferry from the Bellarine.

The venue is to be The Rosstown, in Carnegie. Many years ago ABI Brother used to work nearby and they had many work celebrations there and when Tradie Brother said to him, it is your birthday, you choose where, that is where he chose. It is a long way from the Frankston RSL. Sadly I am working, Sister is very busy marking exam papers, and everyone is busy. It is going to be R, Mother, birthday boy ABI Brother and Tradie Brother. I expect if it was in the convenient location of the Frankston RSL, many family would find it easy to attend.

Nice work Mother. Shot yourself in the foot and caused collateral damage. Oily food? Choose something else to eat, or eat the banana, Minties and Barley Sugar that are always in your handbag, or just suffer in silence for the pleasure of having your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren around you.

Feeling a little guilt that I cannot go, I was prepared to spend a bit extra on ABI Brother's birthday present. No shirts on sale in Myer, aside from winter stock. What about a book? How about musician Jimmy Barnes' autobiography. Sick of buying him sports biographies. Here is a smart new bookshop in Emporium. Oh, it is a very nice bookshop. Classy, you know. And there is the book. Oh, $45. He is a dear brother, but I did not want to spend that much. R was prepared to buy it but said first, maybe we can find him a nice shirt at Target and come back here if we can't. We had to go to Woolworths in QV and entered via Big W. There was the same book, for $28, $17 less than in the nice bookshop. I doubt the nice bookshop will see the year out.




12 comments:

  1. It's amazing the difference in price of books from bookshops to places like Woolies and Target. I guess bookstores have more choice. I do agree with the you on the not saying anything bad about mum in front of the youngsters.. unless they're really horrible grandparents, they should be respected..I know mum can be annoying but I don't get the feeling that you really don't like her ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I don't mind paying more in proper bookshops, but that was an extreme difference. With Mother, at times I have to remember she was a good mother, we never went without, and funny and glamourous.

      Delete
  2. I took my good American friend to meet Jimmy Barnes at a book signing. He took the book back to the US with him, I did not get to read it but after seeing him on Q&A that last time I really want to. ;) Ours was $39.95 I think.

    Mothers are trouble in general. I shall have to write a post about mine soon.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, I think perhaps $10 more than Big W is acceptable for a bookshop. I look forward to hearing more about yours.

      Delete
  3. Same problem here ! My son sees his grandparents through a pink glass, all rose and lovely. In reality they both were manipulators and made my life not easy at all !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I think your son should realise that while his memories are good, yours may not be so good.

      Delete
  4. Sigh on the book shop front. I do love them and they carry books that the other venues don't, but they also price themselves out of the market.
    Sigh on the mother front too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep EC, as I said above, I don't mind paying more in a bookshop, up to a limit.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:23 am

    I guess Target and Big W can afford to lower prices because they buy such large quantities for all their shops. But their range is limited, unlike the nice bookshop. Which is why I download onto my iPad. Nearly everything under $20. But here's a scam. Books in the Game of Thrones series. The latter books are well over 1,000 pages but are published as one volume in hardback and trade paperback. But the smaller sized paperbacks are in two volumes and it's easy to see why. I have no problem with that. But the iPad versions are also published in two volumes so they cost twice as much. Someone conveniently forgot they were originally one volume. That's what I call a ripoff. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, of course the bookshops should charge more than department stores, but there is a breaking point for consumers. I understand your point about what you describe. The book I mentioned was about $10 at Amazon.

      Delete
  6. *snap* on the books. I bought Lee Child's latest at Big W for $16 and it is in the book shops for $23-$24.
    Shame about the birthday dinner bust. It would have been nicer if you all could attend, so of course the more convenient location would be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, bookshops really need to adjust their pricing to a more realistic level. I like to support bookshops by paying a bit more, not that much more.

      Delete