Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Merging two posts

When we returned from our holiday, our second car was covered in a thick layer of dust and had to be washed. It hadn't been moved for over six weeks. Our usual car wasn't that much better and it too had to washed. When Mother is no longer around and I retire I can barely see that we will need one car, let alone two.

Friday I had some errands to do. 72 tram to Prahran, 220 bus home. 219 bus to Southbank Boulevard, 1 tram to South Melbourne, 12 tram to Spencer Street, train to Flinders Street, tram up to QV, tram home. I didn't have to wait more than about 5 minutes each time.

We need two cars on Thursdays (Mother Day), Fridays (R's volunteer job) and if I am working, Saturday (large food shopping day).

Could we manage without the second car? Yes, I could take the tram to work Thursdays, a larger time chunk out of my day. Friday R could get a taxi or public transport to his volunteer place. That would be a tram into town and a tram and another tram to his volunteer place. The shopping could be done more frequently and so no need for the second car on Saturday. Bit of a luxury, really.

I had the second car serviced last week. I was relieved of $600 for the privilege, but that is not so bad given it is about  28 months since it was last service. A couple of belts needed replacing and a wheel alignment, wiper blades and some nice clean new oil.

I told R the newer car would need servicing before Christmas. Sure enough, an email arrived from Mazda telling us such. R called to book it in and the lass said, wait for 30,000 kilometres. Last Mother Day, R said the Istop had stopped working, the techie thing that shuts the engine down when you are stopped at traffic lights. He decided to book it in for a service regardless of the advice. Then a spanner symbol came up on the dashboard, an indicator that it needs to be serviced or taken to the service place for attention.

I wrote a short note for R to take. Handbrake travel is excessive. Yes Sir, that is part of the normal service. R felt patronised. The other thing I wrote was, The first of the free sat nav updates was fine. We have tried to update the sat nav a second time and it wouldn't work. Oh, did that put the cat among the pigeons. On our password list I had the log in, password and in brackets (maybe changed). It is hard to think clearly when someone is yelling at you about how the password 'maybe changed'. Once I thought about it, I realised the note I made was about changing the email address. I changed our email address with Mazda, but still emails were coming from Mazda to the old email address. To say R was cross is an understatement and it was all my fault. He had multiple calls from the car service place with requests for login details and the password to update the sat nav.

R collected the car at lunchtime and I am not game to ask if the sat nav was updated or not. I took the car back to work in the afternoon and as I opened the door what sounded like a phone ring chimed. Ok, must be part of the software update for the car itself that was done. Halfway to work, I head the same tone again. It sounded like a phone but I couldn't see one. At a red light I checked in the glove box. Once at work, I found a phone, no doubt a mechanics phone, jammed in down beside the seat. I called R to tell him to call the service place and let them know where the phone was and it could be collected after 7:30 at our home. I quote, 'How has a simple car service turned into such a fucking nightmare?'.

A thankful Sikh lad mechanic turned up at The Highrise at about 8pm and collected his phone.

R is going out for lunch tomorrow with two old workmate friends who he likes. They will chat, laugh and gossip. He will be in a good mood tomorrow night....I hope.

Oh yes, 30,000 kilometre service $360.

22 comments:

  1. The mechanic must have been so grateful.
    I hope R has a wonderful lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did have a nice lunch, EC.

      Delete
  2. Nothing is ever easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Sandra, and not even kids to worry about.

      Delete
  3. Keep two cars, you'll need one to pick me up when the Zombie Appocalypse starts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bear that in mind, Jah Teh.

      Delete
  4. I would sell the second car because a] it costs too much to keep and b] you are _right_ on the best public transport system in the universe! But be prepared for a sense of lost autonomy :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it will go in a couple of years when I retire anyway.

      Delete
  5. Oh life without a car is wonderful they are cash wells money just falls into them.
    A taxi every now and again and public transport is all we use much cheaper and in Sydney often quicker.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I agree entirely. If I had my way, once we retire we won't have a car at all, and we could rent out our double space for about $60 a week. I think you have plenty of them too, car share vehicles, which could be useful too.

      Delete
  6. Crikey Andrew you don't need a car, mate!! Do you have those 'go get' cars in Melbourne? They're everywhere in Sydney. You could GO GET one of those when you need it and it would be much cheaper than keeping a car. We need a car ..... I'm not allowed on trams, trains or buses. How unfair is that??? I'm allowed on ferries though. There's no ferries in Noosa but I go on 'em when we are in Sydney. It's great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, we do indeed have those cars, one at the back of our building. It may well suit R for his volunteer job. I better look into it.

      Delete
  7. "I didn't have to wait more than about 5 minutes each time." Lucky you.
    Charliedownunder makes a good point. Look into the "go get" cars. Use one when you need one, return it when finished and no more maintenance worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the real problem with those cars for me is you have to return them and can't just leave them at another go get location. That might sound silly as you always come home, but I have thought of instances where they would not work.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure about the returning thing. I may be wrong on this, but there may be returning 'stations' in different locations where you can leave the car, similar to the free bikes here in Adelaide. You can pick up a bike, ride it around and then leave it at the nearest return station to where you finish your ride. The cars may have a similar system. Find out.

      Delete
  8. You've had funs times then. My Audi stays in the garage most of the time, but, it does come in handy I certainly wouldn't part with it.
    Good you found the mechanics phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, that would be about $2000 plus a year for the privilege of having a car you don't often use. Carjacking will come to Lonny from Melbourne and they do like to target Audis. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Oh goodness, I will have to keep my car in the garage and not leave in the driveway in front of the gate when out!

      Delete
  9. Sometimes we think we should downsize to one car but then I would become a stay at home golf widow and that would never do 😀 Hope R is in a better mood, car services can be mega stressful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, three words, trains, buses, taxis. Pity that by the time we left Perth, I was really starting to understand the bus routes.

      Delete
  10. My car is soooo overdue for a service! Thinking of upgrading in the new year, maybe I'll just leave it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, that's what I would do too.

      Delete