Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Campervanning Day 11/12/13 Pt 2 The end

The red dot is Bright, where we stayed for our last night. The dotted line shows where we would have earlier travelled north over Mount Hotham, if not for snow and floods. So close but so far.


Many country towns are little more than a single street with perhaps one or two parallel streets and some cross streets and for some reason I thought Bright would be like this but it wasn't. We once stayed in a friends on site caravan at a caravan park in nearby Porepunkah in the mid 1980s and so I suppose we must have visited Bright, but I can't remember. Bright is quite a decent size, larger than I thought and has more than just a main street of shops. There are several shopping streets and two supermarkets and its setting with the mountains behind and the natural border of the Ovens River makes it very scenic. Here you can see the waters of Morses Creek join the Ovens River.



Much wisely spent money spent on the parkland right on the edge of town and where the creek and river join.


Recent flooding has caused some minor damage.


On the far bank. You would not want to be sliding into the fast moving and swollen river today.


It would normally be a quite still swimming waterhole controlled by this barrier.


R was looking at the water play equipment and right next to where I am standing was an enticing button to push to operate the water systems. I didn't and later found out it had been turned off, because of the flooding, I suppose.


Is this something to do with representing mining?


Through the park gates and we were soon at the shops. Peckish. It must be time for afternoon tea.




This was an excellent choice for a cake, brilliant coffee for me and fine tea for R.


Do you remember these? R suggested they were Tupperware, but I said no, however I could not remember what they were. After I while I thought to look at the base. Do you know? Answer at the end, if I remember.


Husband parking at the year round Christmas shop.


Stunning clock tower war memorial.


Bright is not a place I would want to be on a high fire danger day.


We chose to stay at the Big 4 again as it was on the river and just a short walk to the shops.


There are very few paid libraries in Australia.


Mount Buffalo is about 45 minutes drive away and I want to see it.

Some trees had been yarn bombed and so had this seat.


Visitors deciding which of the multi screens they want to visit at the cinema. We adjourned to the campervan and then later set out for dinner and chose pizza at Il Centro Pizza House. R wanted the advertised pasta, but the pasta was off the menu as the usual chef was overseas.


We had a night up our sleeve as our original plan was to come back to Melbourne from the east and spend a night at Tradie Brother's in his driveway before returning the van. He was keen to have us and see the van, but I had to call him and tell him it would be silly for us to do that now as we will arrive home from the north, nowhere near his place. I hoped to persuade R to stay another night in Bright as I thought it was just lovely but he was not keen. We checked out the morning and we could always return to the same park or another if we wanted one more night.

We had been to Mount Buffalo before, again in the 1980s but had forgotten what a steep and winding road is was to travel. The scenery was great though. R was getting stressed and I stopped. He wanted to turn around and go back down. I checked and it was only four more kilometres so he said keep going. I remembered the view was very good at the top, but this is the view that greeted us.


R got out, took a quick look and climbed back into the van.



I walked up to chalet which was having plenty of work done to it. It was once owned by the Victorian Railways and used as a guest house. Back when the train Ovens Valley trains still run, people would catch the train to Porepunkah, I suppose, and then be carried by bus up to the guest house for a holiday. It is now in government hands and has had a very chequered history over the past three decades. Hopefully it can be made into a profitable attraction soon.  


The gardens will look very nice when the spring blooms arrive. Spring is slow to come when you are up this high.



I walked back to the van feeling a little sad as I knew what was to come. "I've had enough. Just take me home now". R closed his eyes as we descended the mountain and I turned the van in the direction of home. He recovered in time for a late lunch in Benalla and we made it home before the worst of the evening peak traffic. I like this photo of the sad and lonely seat


We paid for half an hour of parking and unloaded the van, but what to do with it now. One side of the road is City of Melbourne and our side is City of Port Phillip. Parking fees are much cheaper on the City of Melbourne side but my carefully thought out plan of parking outside the synagogue and then putting money in the meter at 7 in the morning was spoilt by I think Jewish New Year celebrations. Whatever, they had paid for the use of the parking spaces but I thought to myself, well once they leave, then I could park there. No, an attendant told us. The council will come around at midnight to remove the signage and will book anyone parked here. Here, the not so bright lad said, take this permit and park in one of the seven parking spaces in the side street. Well, I just did not think the permit for synagogue parking for a Britz campervan would be believed by any parking officer. Eventually I discovered a non metered space and as well as not paying, the van could stay there until 9.30 in the morning.

Next morning we returned the van and caught the train from Tottenham back to town for brunch, once again home in our own city. So ends our campervaning adventure. Maybe a bit of wrap up to come.

25 comments:

  1. Andrew I love your photos especially the church. As I can see he first leaves on the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, even Bright is quite high up, so everything happens much later there.

      Delete
  2. Bright looks lovely. Thank you so much for taking us with you. Some familiar haunts, and some I have never seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, you would know a few of the places in the area. Thanks for your encouraging comments.

      Delete
  3. The bowl and S&P shakers look too sturdy to be Tupperware, I think it might be Besserware. I had a lot of their things in olive green when I first married.
    Going back to read the rest now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct River. Google doesn't know Besserware but I was sure that is the word we used. It is now called Bessemerware.

      Delete
  4. Or Bessemerware.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bright and Mount Buffalo look like lovely places to visit and I'm glad you finally found a cafe with "brilliant" coffee :) The playground near the water is very nice and well maintained too by the look of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, everything was ship shape in Bright.

      Delete
  6. I have tried to collect photos and details about all the public WW1 memorials in country Victoria, built from 1919 until 1932-ish. Not only was Bright not included in my collection, but its design is very different from all the others I am familiar with.

    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the Vic Heritage data base at least has information about the Bright memorial. I've never seen a clock combined with a war memorial.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, use my photo if you wish.

      Delete
  7. I really do need to know what the S&P shakers were...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, as River said, Besserware or Bessemerware.

      Delete
    2. Definitely Bessemerware.

      Delete
  8. Bright is one of my favourite country towns. It is absolutely beautiful in Autumn. Sad you couldn't stay another day there but you are a kind partner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it reminded me a little some of the Blue Mountains villages or even some in our Dandenongs. I hope to return there in just a car and explore.

      Delete
  9. Never been there! Does look a nice clean town...love country town.
    Always I used to take photos of the town clock and War Memorial but didn't this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, generally war memorials aren't so interesting for photos, but I think this one with the incorporated clock is brilliant.

      Delete
  10. Bright sounds a lot like Toodjay Andrew, some country towns are so much better than others. Isn't it always the way, this last part of your trip looks so pretty, I can see why you wanted to linger longer 😊 but it is always good to get home.. right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, possibly is like Toodjay. I remember when you went there. It was good to get home and no longer have the responsibility of the campervan.

      Delete
  11. I don't like that your trip is over now, nothing more to read about it. But the view from the top of the mountain must be terrific when the day is clear. Too bad it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, frankly we were glad it was over, but good memories.

      Delete
  12. That had been a real beautiful trip ! I was surprised to read the word "snow" that sounds so strange to me for Australia, where so many are always complaining about the heat, lol ! A pity that it was so misty in Mount Buffalo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, no one was more surprised than me that we could not go over the mountain because of snow in October. I will complain about heat very soon.

      Delete