Sunday, November 27, 2016

Bunjil and So Cross Station

Bunjil is mythological eagle, seen by Australian Aboriginal people as a creator god and an ancestral connection. This 23 metre tall representation by artist Bruce Armstrong was sited in part of Docklands, an urban renewal area on the western edge of the city.

In my opinion and that of many people, Docklands planning has been a classic example of how not to go about urban development. Some even call it a disaster, where developers have been allowed to build tall towers with little restriction. Nevertheless, attempts are being made to retrofit what should have been part of building the development. Docklands is far from complete.

Bunjil on his plinth sat on some nice grass, with a few trees around him but I believe he is to be moved. Poor Bunjil, forlorning surveying the avarice of mankind.





An effort to be interesting with this office building at least separates it from many others at Docklands.


Flinders Street Station is much loved and is about to undergo some renovations and a repaint. It is primarily used by suburban trains. The Spencer Street Station for country and interstate trains that I remember was never loved. It was replaced and renamed Southern Cross Station and it is not loved either, although it is not a bad place for trainspotting with its raised walkways. Here is one of the platforms with quite adequate lighting.


For some strange reason this platform has inadequate lighting, hence the generator. I think there used to be more generators running lights than what there are now. I do not understand why there is not proper lighting and I reckon generators have been powering lighting at the station for over a year. Lordy, as if the diesel fumes aren't bad enough at the station, let's add even more fumes. Not even the non-professional public transport experts Daniel Bowen and Marcus Wong seem to know. 

18 comments:

  1. Love Bunjil.
    The office building is interesting. Much of the rest appears to be a monument to greed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I like the way Bujil is so simply represented by the artist.

      Delete
  2. Andrew in my opinion the eadle looks fantastic..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased you like it, Gosia.

      Delete
  3. It's funny how we love certain areas and buildings and others give us that creepy feeling and train stations are something you love or hate.
    I've never been to a Melbourne train station but I love Central Strathfield and Granville stations in Sydney the rest I'm not very fond of.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, yes some public spaces work better than others and some just don't work at all. I really dislike your Town Hall Station.

      Delete
  4. Looks a bit weird that eagle and out of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I love Bunjil, but he is certainly out of place now and a better spot should be found.

      Delete
  5. Am I wrong in thinking Flinders Street Station was once used for interstate trains? I'm sure that's where was when I had to change trains on my way home to Brisbane from Adelaide in 1974. I could be wrong, but the memory seems so clear.
    The eagle is a bit odd looking, not very eagle like, but if it is constructed to look like one of the dreamtime drawings, I can see why the outline is vague.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, no. Interstate trains would have left from Spencer Street Station which was where Southern Cross Station is now. As you say about the shape, I guess that is what the artist intended.

      Delete
  6. I hope they leave some green space in the new development and maybe Bunjil could perch there. He is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, there is green space but I think he needs another and better location entirely, perhaps atop a hill at Birrarung Marr.

      Delete
  7. Flinders Street Station IS much loved... and I am very glad it was never pulled down as mooted after WW2. But it was not an easy process, from the very beginning. The original competition judges awarded the prizes to the winning architects, then changed their minds and opened a new competition later on. Until 1910, changes were STILL being made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it does have an interesting history and thank goodness none of those absurd plans of recent years came to anything.

      Delete
  8. Gosh that's a really big Bunjil Andrew ☺ the avarice of man is hard to ignore! I've always liked the look of Flinders Station, it would be high up on my list of places to visit if I came over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, by the time you get here it will probably be looking even better with a coat of new paint in a softer colour.

      Delete
  9. I like the eagle and his perch to watch the doings of mankind. The presence is a warning--behave yourselves or I will take you in my talons, carry you off and eat you alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I think he is so powerful, a simple flick of the eye might strike terror into his subjects.

      Delete