Friday, November 25, 2016

Breaking down

Not us, well not quite yet. We bought quite a number of new things when we moved into The Highrise some fourteen years ago. The small barbeque, for one. Another was a clothes hoist or drying rack if you like. Without a clothes line, we did not want to dry everything in the clothes dryer. Some things are starting to wear out.

Perhaps three times a year I would throw the cover of the barbeque into the washing machine. A couple of years ago it started to break up. We bought a new cover, still branded the same as the barbeque and after two years, it is starting to break up. Clearly not the quality of the old.


The ignition for the barbeque is playing up. Sometimes I have to use a battery operated stove lighter. I believe these ignitions are cheap to replace but can I be bothered? An acquaintance recently bought the same barbeque as we have, and I picked it up and it weighs much less than ours, allowing for the weight of fat in the tray and char on the grill. Again, not the quality it once was.

The barbeque drip tray suffered badly from dishwasheritis after about 12 years and began leaking fat. It stopped going in the dishwasher and I now line it with tin foil and very gently handwash it when  I change the foil. I must have left the foil changing a bit too long and it disintegrated  a little on a very hot day recently, out oozed the fat, in a fairly liquid state because of the heat. What a mess. It went on the tiles and into the evaporation tray too. I won't let that happen again.


Now, as you can see, the plastic coating on the clothes horse is breaking down and we need a new one and I want one exactly the same. I can find similar, but smaller. Everything else we have looked is not right for one reason or t'other. It is drawing a very long bow, but anyone seen one the same as this locally or in a large chain store? We have looked pretty hard.




15 comments:

  1. I bought my drying rack maybe 10 years ago at Big W. no problems with quality, just size. I need a bigger one. The last time I checked they had none. So I recently went to Masters to see if I could purchase a second one on sale, and OMG the crap that they were trying to peddle as a drying rack, made of plastic bits and bobs. And they had hundreds of them!!! Same with plastic banquet tables. Hundreds of them!!! My theory, Masters went broke because they had warehouses filled with plastic crap sitting somewhere not moving fast enough out the door.

    Bummer about you BBQ drip tray 'melting' 😝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, after Masters went broke and were in receivership?, they bought huge amounts of stock for the closing sale. Go figure!!!

      Delete
  2. This looks like the exact same clothes rack that my son and daughter in law use in Sydney, I'll ask him where they got it when we Skype tomorrow 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. Eleven top rails.

      Delete
  3. Not much is made to last these days, what a pity in one way. Not sure how people manage if they only have a dryer as some clothes do need not to be put in it.
    Clothes horse - touch them and they fall over and certainly don't hold many clothes. I guess if you do find one that has enough rungs on it, buy two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, that is why I want one the same. It doesn't fall over and holds quite a lot. It is quite heavy to lift. I sure will buy two if I find the right one, and they will see me out.

      Delete
  4. That's one ugly drip from your barbecue! A classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I've known a nasty drip in my time, and yes, this was a bad one.

      Delete
  5. Foil on a barbecue tray should be changed after every single use. tut tut Andrew!
    The clothes horse? Probably they just don't make them like that anymore, you could try ebay and scroll though dozens of pages of 'not quite right' clothes horses, or settle for something different. Ikea has a reasonable selection at reasonable prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I initially thought no, I am not changing the drip tray foil everytime, but if it is for a single use, then just lie the sheet of foil over the tray.

      Good idea, Ebay and Ikea, but I hate going to Ikea and doing the compulsory mile long walk. I will send R.

      Delete
    2. I think you don't need to do the mile long walk. In our store, I take a short cut straight to the restaurant area which is right next to the stairs down to the market area, the bathroom items are down there too, so finding them is more of a 1/4 mile. Ask an assistant to show you the short cuts, or look around a bit yourself, sometimes you'll notice a doorway with a sign that says "through to.." and that's a short cut. It depends on the store layout, but I suspect they'd be very similar nationally.

      Delete
  6. Or seal the cracked sections with duct tape. Ugly but effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that would keep it going for a few years. I always make sure it is put away on the rare occasion we have visitors. Once it gets bad enough to mark clothes, I will do something like that. I think this one cost $30.

      Delete
  7. *nod* nothing seems to last as long as you want. The top of our stove, including the gas hobs and the trivet, look as if they are falling apart :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, you have worn them out with your cooking. Take a bow and feel no guilt at buying a new one.

      Delete