Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Ardoch

We took a short tram trip to Chapel Street, Windsor, although we crossed over to the East St Kilda side of The Great Three Chain Dandenong Road. I was going to tell the story here of this part of Dandenong Road, but I will save it for a separate post. This wall on the bridge over the Sandringham train line is relatively new compared to the wall on the other side of the road. It is a horrible textured brick of a nondescript greyish brown. Although it remained graffiti free for many years, finally it received some white paint tagging and it looked awful. Now this quite brilliant work has been painted on the wall. I am pleased.


We strolled along Dandenong Road, past Presentation College.





We crossed Dandenong Road and here is where we are visiting, Ardoch.


Ardoch is a residential enclave with a very nice central park like garden.


While some may appear to be freestanding houses, as far as I can see, they are all apartments. I can't find the information now, but I believe there are 92 apartments of high quality in the Arts and Crafts style.


There were once two mansions on the site, with one mansion subdivided into apartments and still existing, and the other demolished to make space for more apartments, sometime between the wars. Information about Ardoch mostly from St Kilda Historical Society website.


In 1949 the whole site was bought by insurance company, CSL. It was renamed Ardoch and soon deteriorated. Greedy big business at work


In around 1977 the site was bought by the Victorian Education Department and turned into a school for disadvantaged and troubled children. Some of Ardoch remained residential to keep some life at the site out of school hours. It was a caring and gentle school in nice surroundings for the children who really needed such an environment to build their self esteem and life skills.


Dictator and all round nasty bloke, Premier Kennett, in the 1990s sold off what the government owned at Ardoch and the school closed.


Subsequently it was briefly owned by a government agency, the Urban Land Authority.


With strict heritage controls, it is again an estate of private apartments for the rich. I must say, I found the whole site very appealing and I think it would be a nice place to live.


Two bedroom, one bathroom, one car space, hydronic heating (rare in Australia) about $870,000. The same in our building, sans hydronic but with heating/cooling air con for a modern apartment would be about $650,000.


At 109 Station Street, Burwood, we built our front decking and garden around a wonderful crab apple tree. Subsequent owners had the most beautiful shaped, shady in summer and blooming in spring, crab apple tree removed. Crab Apples were blooming beautifully at Ardoch when we were there a couple of months ago. 



29 comments:

  1. Andrew i sounds interesting ram trip. Your spring is lovely trees in blossom and palms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I must take more palm tree photos for you.

      Delete
  2. Love that wall.
    It does look a pleasant place to live, albeit on the expensive side. Crab apples are beautiful.
    Sigh on the Kennett front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is about 4 or 5 kilometres from the city and that is very close in Melbourne, hence the cost.

      Delete
  3. I want to see more of that grafitti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, when I am next back there, I will oblige.

      Delete
  4. At first glance I thought the wall was a painting of jacaranda trees. When I clicked on it, I found it to be even more interesting. Thanks for sharing it! You remind me, I must take some pictures of some local wall art we have here.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, I can see the blue must have made you think of jacarandas. I don't think ours are blooming yet.

      Delete
  5. I visited Ardoch once to see a place before auction. The location was great, but I expected constant tram and traffic noise. Not at all! The flats still enjoy that very nice central park-like garden that you photographed!
    As it happened we moved into a house only 2ks away, because the children were still at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it would be interesting to see inside one, but R will get itchy feet if he goes looking at property. It did feel very serene within the compound.

      Delete
  6. It looks like a very peaceful area and the buildings are nice. I'd love to see inside the apartments, I'm such a sticky beak :)
    Is Hydronics the system where hot water is pumped through heating pipes to heat the building? That seems rather wasteful to me.
    Silly people to remove a shady tree in such a hot country. Maybe they didn't enjoy birdsong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, that is hydronic heating. Certainly in England the hot water usually comes from the same boiler. It would be a luxury here as our climate is not so cold, but that form of heating is essential to have for comfort in really cold countries. It is used all over GB, the colder European countries, the US and Canada. It's a nice warmth and you can dry your clothes on the radiators. It was a beautiful tree and I was sad when we once drove past and noticed it had been removed. If you google Ardoch for sale, there will be some listed for sale with interior photos. I can't imagine the interiors being very grand as much of it was built between the wars.

      Delete
  7. Google, here I come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, come back and tell us what you find.

      Delete
    2. One picture of a rather nice kitchen. All other images are of the exterior and grounds. I guess the place is just too private. The kitchen I looked at was in a one bedroom apartment for sale at $450k

      Delete
  8. Looks are lovely part of greater Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, so many Melburnians would have no knowledge of Ardoch.

      Delete
  9. A lovely place with nice houses !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is, Gattina.

      Delete
  10. 'Ardoch' has a bit of a Scottish sound to it Andrew, it does indeed look like a nice place to live. Gosh some people have no sense, imagine ripping out a perfectly good crab apple tree, they're so pretty too 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Och aye, Grace, it does sound a little Scottish. Always best to not revisit where you live, especially the garden.

      Delete
  11. Do I detect some itchy feet there Andrew? Tempted to have a change from your lofty apartment to a more down to earth view?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not me, Marie, but someone we both know at times gets itchy feet.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:22 pm

      Funny you should mention Ardoch - I was in the first group of students to study there! It was a great place. I remember my time there fondly. Bunyip

      Delete
    3. Really Bunyip! But it wasn't turned into a school until 1977 :-P

      Delete
  12. oh wow, thanks for the history lesson. I think I'd like to go there and do some photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth a visit Fen, and I am sure you will capture it nicely.

      Delete
  13. I do like it, quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete