Friday, October 28, 2016

Out with the old

I can't remember how much the new intercom system was quoted at, but it was in the tens of thousands, maybe 20, maybe 40. It is now done. The instructions on the old system were to press the apartment number and then button A. There are two buttons A. One on the left side, one on the right. People would say the intercom would not work for them and I guess this came from them pressing the wrong button A. When we were in Perth early this year, the system failed entirely. It was quickly discovered that replacement parts were not available and an enterprising body corporate member found the failed part replacement on Ebay. This is the old panel, with two buttons A.


This is the new panel. Press the apartment number and the bell symbol and it will put through a double Australian phone ring to the the appropriate apartment and LEDs will light up to illuminate your face, and on the screen and verbally you are given commands, such as calling, answering, and door open. The hole in the wall has been covered over and barely noticeable. We don't know much about using our intercom system as we don't use it. Why would we? It is the same with parking outside. We don't use it so we don't have a need to know about it, but we do, because of visitors.


This is the old handset in each apartment. It rings a single ring loudly for as long as button A is pressed. The picture view of who is calling is in black and white and it is a bulky unit as the screen is an old style cathode ray tube. Sometimes when someone called, the screen would not light up but if you hung up and then picked up the receiver again, it would work. The screen picture lasted a minute or so before the picture shut down. Of the three buttons, only the door open button worked.


This is our new unit. While the screen is smaller, it is in brilliant colour and gives a wide view. I can see passing cars and trams. We can even switch the screen on when no one is calling. We can adjust the volume of the ring and the picture. The lad who installed it was lovely, if you like a Serbian/Israeli  hipster look. I dun mind. Unfortunately there had to be a backing plate to cover the holes from the old system. I just know it is not all square, but it is very close and I will only ever really know if I put the spirit level on it, and I won't but I have an eye for straightness and angles and it is not quite straight, but none of our non existent visitors will ever notice and I will get used to it.


14 comments:

  1. As long as it doesn't put people off visiting you I'm sure it will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visitors Marie? Very rare.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness for eBay can be heard in the halls of the highrise!
    I like the nice sleek modern look but how long has it taken you to get used to the screen being on the right hand side of the handset?


    Cathy @ Still Waters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, that's an interesting point. Just looking, I think it is better as it can now be answered from the kitchen side as well. It was too awkward to do that before.

      Delete
  3. Much more high tech than anything here.
    IF I realise something is not straight (which fortunately doesn't always happen) it niggles at me and niggles at me. Until I fix it. Which can cause problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is better that I don't check because if it really is wrong, then it will niggle at me. I've just been looking at it and I've realised it is not centered on the backing plate......thanks for that.

      Delete
  4. My brother's apartment has an intercom system, you press the numbers of his apartment and announce yourself then he opens the door. To get out again, he has to come down with you in the elevator and open the doors with his keycard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think it is very unusual to have to go down to let someone out. There is usually an internal button near the door to press to open the door without a card or remote fob.

      Delete
  5. Looks so much better Andrew and perfectly straight to me.. but then I'm used to P's interpretation of straight and don't mind a wee bit of squiff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, good that you are relaxed about such things. It makes for an easier life.

      Delete
  6. Our intercom systems (three of them in my twenty five plus years residence) have failed us regularly over the years.

    The latest one never seemed to work for my unit. Visitors complained that I never answered and I complained that they never called. It took several years for me to discover that a dial controlling the volume in my apartment was turned to the red end of the spectrum when it should have been turned to the green end. Manufacturers never take their customers' colour blindness into account.

    By the way I can see the angle of your plate. It would bug me endlessly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, of course yours should have been set to high volume when it was installed, or at least you should have been shown how it worked. Ours came with a simple instruction booklet.

      I've convinced myself that the visible angle in the photo is because of how I took the photo.

      Delete
  7. Looks decent and nice to be able to see visually who is actually wanting to come up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, we could with the old, grainy black and white. This is crisp and clear now.

      Delete