Friday, October 21, 2016

Myer update, the kindness of strangers and bits

Myer media monitors work well. I received a very nice email because of my blog post from someone at Myer, suggesting ways to contact them, including an email address, apologising for the men's changing rooms and with the assurance that they will be renovated early next year. I may reply that the most annoying thing is the lack of coat hooks, that is a very small job for the Myer handyman. Ok, I am not so tech illiterate but many older people are but I reckon many know how to email or fill in a feedback form. Both should be on the Myer website, but it does take staff resources to deal with and not so easy to outsource, as is employing a media monitor and responding where warranted.

Anyway, a good result and thanks to the person at Myer who responded.

Mother's electrician, kind, young and cheap, but incompetent. It has rained on her house twice since he attended and both times the same lighting circuit was knocked out. In time something dries and she can reset the circuit. She is going to get him back. The rear extension of two small bedrooms, now one large junk room built in the mid seventies and full of stuffs for her next garage sale that will never happen, has no lighting working, so there is the starting point, I think.

A quite old man, a blogger, who I rather like, especially as he writes very well, asked for my postal address, saying he would send me something. Indeed something did arrive in the post, much delayed by Australia Post, his published autobiography. Isn't that so nice? I only knew his blog name, not even his real name. That someone of his age has a blog, communicates with people via the net and does kindness is just so amazing. Even at his very senior years, his life is not easy and I guess a couple of you know who I am referring to. Of course that should be 'to be whom I am referring', but I ain't so posh with my grammar. I don't actually know rules for grammar, but I kind of know what is right and what is wrong.

Our friend, the former Northern Territory policeman and politician, self published his autobiography of his time in the Northern Territory. It is a good read if you are interested in the Australian outback, but self publishing is not for the faint hearted.

As usual, Thursday is Mother Day. R gets so crabby with me on Mother Day if I go along and today was no exception. It was not about me, but Mother and her slowness. Slowness, not because she old and slow but just because she............pisses around and is never organised. R is very firm about leaving at 3 to avoid peak traffic. He tells me I need to give her queues, like having the car door open for her to get in, instead of allowing her to sit on a bench and have a cigarette. Sister recently refused Mother financial assistance until Mother give up smoking. ABI Brother expressed his disappointment that she went without cigarettes and substitutes while for two weeks in hospital, as soon as she was home he had to go and fetch her cigarettes.

At one point after Step Father died, she was feeding cats in the number of teens. She is now down to two ginger cats, which are probably male and so won't breed. Aren't all ginger cats male? Confirm if you please Strayer.


14 comments:

  1. Andrew interesting post. I love ginger cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we had one when we were children. He was male.

      Delete
  2. I look forward in your book review

    ReplyDelete
  3. MOST ginger cats are male. Not all. And I hope that Strayer corrects me if I am wrong.
    Receiving that autobiography was a lovely gesture. I am so impressed at all he does. It can't be easy.
    And yay for the media monitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, as Merle confirms below.

      Delete
  4. No I have a female ginger cat and she had kittens a long time ago, that's my Kidney she had one ginger in the litter and he was a male.
    She does think she is male and stands up to pee.
    Glad you got a response from Myer always good to know they are listening to the public.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go, Merle. I had forgotten that your Kidney is a female.

      Delete
  5. Great news from Myer media, perhaps the renovations will happen sooner now. (*~*)
    I received an autobiography in the mail also, quite some time ago now, a very interesting read.Possibly from the same person?
    Funny how some people can give up smokes while they are in hospital without problems then go right back to them as soon as they get out.
    I know women who gave up as soon as they discovered they were pregnant, but started smoking again after the baby was born, often smoking even while holding and/or feeding the baby :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I have noticed that you comment and have an attachment to the same person. At that age when your book no longer sells, why not give it away. I sent him a thank you card today. Smoking is a terrible addiction, almost worse than drugs. Just my theory, but smoking while breast feeding will ensure you child will be prone to smoking. Ditto alcohol.

      Delete
  6. I hope the Myer media monitor picked up my comment re the shocking mirrors 😊 I'm curious about the elderly biography author Andrew, very impressive. My memory is shocking, I can just see many instances of.. 'skipping ahead until I was...' 😊 Sounds like all is well with yourself and R, except on Thursdays..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, they will have. They are still reading here. Yes, all is good with us.

      Delete
  7. Not all, Andrew, sorry to say, but most. Why not just fix them? Are there no programs there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know of any cat programmes as you have. Kittens coming from a shelter will have a desexing voucher included and vaccinations. Mother won't take responsibility for them. She think one died recently of old age, the only one that has. Some were removed by the local council years ago, presumably euthanised. I don't think our stray cat problem is as bad as yours.

      Delete