Friday, October 28, 2016

Friday Humour

I try to post something amusing on Friday and I have failed today, but the day is not over.

Jim Perry recently died. Never heard of him? He was one of the makers of the British tv show Dad's Army.

Here is a clip of opening credits for the character driven comedy show. The characters were members of British Home Guard, unpaid volunteers who managed security and safety on British soil during WWII. The tune is quite good when played with enthusiasm by a large brass band.



The bumbling characters could be very funny and I cracked up at the last line in this clip, 1:47.


Many of the lines from the show slipped into our speech and I still at times say, 'Don't panic Captain Mainwaring', pronounced Mannering.

14 comments:

  1. I remember Dad's Army, one of my dad's favourite shows and being a German he always nit-picked the show while still laughing his head off at the comedy. I believe it has been back on TV a couple of times, but I've never caught up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another personal connection, River. I can't imagine what a German person would make of the show but how good that it amused him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was funny Andrew, so many English serials are, the British are the best with characters and humour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, they are. I didn't mention that well over an hour drifted past as I watched clips from various comedies.

      Delete
  4. Great video greeting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that you enjoyed it, Gosia.

      Delete
  5. My father too laughed at it. And he was also German. So much for the myth that they have no sense of humour.
    My partner picked up the DVDs recently at a bookfair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, really, it really must be funny to anyone as all countries have men like them.

      Delete
  6. Still a very funny show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holds up well, Victor.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Kirk, I can't help think that allo allo would not have subsequently been made.

      Delete
  8. I've watched clips of that show. It makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I expect the stereotype that Americans don't get British humour is false.

      Delete