Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Campervanning Day4/5 05/10

The black dotted line is where we should have travelled.


We did not bother our friend in Lakes Entrance for breakfast. I was quite enjoying cereal in the van and then a later brunch out. It was so nice to see our friend after quite a while, the last time being in Melbourne when she visited. Anyway, we had to get going early, like 9.00 am and our friend had her community garden friends catchup. We are now to head over the mountains to Bright but weather conspired against us. We stopped off for brunch at Bruthen, and it is a really good cafe. R's extra hot skinny latte was severed at 75 degrees, but it was not hot enough.



Alpine Resorts, Omeo and Wangaratta is the direction we are going. There should be a notice, read this before proceeding with information about the route.


We stopped along the way for breaks. This is the Tambo River.


A high point somewhere along the Great Alpine Highway where we chatted to a bloke taking a break while he was travelling from Canberra to .the area with a spare part for a broken down road maintenance vehicle.


We stopped for lunch at Omeo.




We set off to get to Bright. Omeo is down below.


Wow, I did not expect this. Snow. I have not seen snow for about four decades. I was so excited.



The snow became thicker. Did I see a sign saying wheel chains must be carried at all times? Maybe but I was driving so I could not focus on signs.


R was getting very nervous and so was I. The snow was now a metre deep next to the road. We reached Mount Hotham village and I saw just white in front of us and snow was falling. I called it quits. Aside from slowly and cautiously, I don't know about driving in snow. We headed back down the mountain. Given I bogged the van yesterday, better to not press our luck by skidding off the road. I did not take any photos at where we turned back. I just wanted to get out of the area as the falling snow was getting heavier.


This was shown as a major road to get to the north of Victoria. Who would think there would be snow in October? Not me, and I did not research. What you need to do is call a business who put chains on your wheels as you go up the mountain and then take them off as you go down, for about $35. We would have done that but down on the other side there were floods and roads were cut.

We retreated to Omeo for afternoon tea and checked into the local caravan park and rethought our travel route. The caravan park was just wonderful. There was another campervan there that we saw earlier and had come over the mountain with chains, and a couple of contract road workers in cabins, but otherwise the park was empty.


Caravan park dog Malcolm kept us company. She (sic) was great company. The other van owners there had a cat, which they let out for a wander around. It did not go far and next morning, Malcolm found their van the most interesting to sniff around.


Very good facilities and such a peaceful spot, and I think the cheapest park we stayed in with the nicest jovial host.


Over a dinner of barbequed something, we changed our holiday route, going the opposite direction to what we had planned. Instead of coming down the south coast of NSW, we will go up the south coast of NSW, but it will be a long drive tomorrow. By the time we cover NSW south coast, the floodwaters in northern Victoria should have subsided.



14 comments:

  1. Bet that snow had the heart beating a bit quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.
    Years back when we were living in Central West NSW we had snow in December. Not much, but enough to wipe out the tomatoes.
    You have travelled along some beautiful roads. Thanks for taking us along - without the stress. Or the brunches sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it once snowed in Melbourne on Christmas Day when I was young. Central West NSW is quite elevated, I think.

      Delete
  3. It is a lovely area except for the snow horrible wet, cold stuff I'm not a fan.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Merle and you don't want it when you don't expect it.

      Delete
  4. Snow in the mountains. Wow. The area you are traveling in is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, it a very pretty part of Australia.

      Delete
  5. Snow and floods in one day! The journey is quite eventful so far. Omeo sounds like a nice place to spend a peaceful weekend, although I have to admit I've never even heard of it before. I wonder if it is on my Australia map? Nice to make friends with the local dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it might be a bit small to be on a map but the red dot inland on the map above is Omeo. Our sat nav pronounced it O-may-o.

      Delete
  6. Looking at that snow made me cold, I want to put the heater on now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, it is cold. Put your heating on.

      Delete
  7. Snow, wow, it's summer there now is it not? We already have snow in the mountains here, and usually don't until late November. We rarely get it in the valley. But a summer camper van trip, and you're running into snow that deep? I would get out of there too. I do not like driving in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring here, Strayer. The trees are only just getting their leaves. It is a bit unusual for snow to be there in October.

      Delete