Monday, October 17, 2016

Campervanning Day3/4 04/10

Waratah Bay to Lakes Entrance. I am struggling with these Google maps. They won't display how I want them to and I may give up on them and they are very time consuming to make.


There was a shower of rain when I woke but the morning weather wasn't too bad. We were in a much better spot that the allocated one. Naughty us or bad them for not giving us this space. Waratah Bay Caravan Park was probably the least best park we stayed in. It had the feeling of being run by a bureaucracy rather than someone who really cared. Nevertheless, the facilities were clean and the amenities good. It is a bit of a rabbit warren though. It took us two circuits to find out where we should park, mainly due to the lass who checked us in saying, just follow the main driveway, and the spaces were very poorly marked.


Halfway down the steps to the beach is a shelter with a seat, which was a wonderful to place to sit and contemplate the power of the sea.




It was a very pretty spot.



Check out time is 10.00 am generally in Australia and caravan parks are not an exception. We usually left sometime between 9 and 10. We reached the town or Toora and I swung the van off the road and up very steep and winding road.


We paused at  a lookout point and Corner Inlet was spread out below.


Along with the township of Toora.


In the 1970s I lived forty kilometres away from Agnes Falls and frequently drove past the turn off yet I never visited them. What an idiot. The falls, especially after the recent rain, were spectacular. This is the upper part of the falls.


Agnes Falls has longest waterfall drop in Victoria at 60 metres and it was both hard to see and hard to photograph.


The gorge, carved out over hundreds of thousands of years.


Have a look at the volume of water in this eight second video I can't remember taking. R can't even remember the falls as we saw another very impressive falls later in the trip.



I lived for two years in the town of Yarram in the 1970s. It was a cliquey town and myself, my father and stepmother were never really accepted. Father owned the freehold of a house and and shop front, while Step Mother and myself owned the service station business. We made a wage each from the business and paid Father rent. But the bright lights and sex in the city called me and I left. I had already met someone in Melbourne, everything I dreamed about. We were together for a couple of months. 


The house was quite nice inside. Father knocked down a couple of walls and built a bar. It went back for miles. I had a huge varnished plywood and battened bedroom without an angle where the walls met the ceiling, but a nice curve. It now looks very sad.


Where the petrol pumps used to be. I think I painted the island with grey paving paint.


I don't remember ever noticing these timber shingles.


Yarram just oozes money. You can smell the scent of pound notes in the street. We used to have stock freighted up by train from Melbounrne, but the rail service was discontinued many years ago. I wrote about the train line back here, but Google maps have not held up well.



I worked six days a week with Friday off and so I did not learn much about the town. I would bolt to Melbourne for my day off. Very little about Yarram felt familiar to me, so after some lunch at the excellent bakery, I was pleased to get away.


Just before Sale, a sign indicated an historic swing bridge close to the highway. We took a look. Sale was once serviced by boats coming up the Latrobe River from the sea, hence the need for the swing bridge for boat clearance. The bridge has been restored to working order by the government and local council, but I am unsure if it is ever operated.



R was having a rest in the van, as the rain fell. What I had not realised at the time, at the top of the photo is another river, so we were at the confluence of the Thompson and Latrobe Rivers. 


I don't think your graffiti is very cool.



We were to park our van at our friend's place in Lakes Entrance. We were a little early and the van needed some sorting out, so at Swan Reach I pulled off the road onto a grassy verge. Off we go, but we didn't. The rear wheels spun and then one wheel only spun and dug into a deep hole. If it was a car, I could have gotten it out by rocking back and forwards but with the weird transmission, that wasn't working. Mild panic, yes. Worst case, call the RACV to pull us out. No sooner than we were bogged, the ever so handsome young Brett from Queensland pulled up with his four wheel drive. I think he had his chick with him, but I did not take much notice of her. Brett checked the underside of our van and found a hook on point and simply towed us backwards using his very strong cable. From bogging to being back on the road was all of ten minutes. We did leave a terrible hole in nicely maintained grass, for which I am regretful, but it wasn't deliberate.

Descending from on high to Lakes Entrance gives lovely views. We had drinks once we reached our friend's house in Lakes Entrance and she made us a delicious meal of borek and her own garden grown salad. We sensibly did not stay up too late, drinking wine and sorting out the world with our friend.  

12 comments:

  1. Andrew lovely trip ans nice memories. your grass is so green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I have never seen the grass so green over a such a wide area. Nowhere was there brown grass.

      Delete
  2. Some beautiful views to go with some bitter-sweet memories.
    Love those falls, and hadn't heard of them. And the video does show some of the power.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we were lucky to be there when there had been decent rain.

      Delete
  3. It is wonderful reading about your time away. It must have been with mixed emotions going back to Yarram, specially seeing your house like that. T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CM, while I knew it was a closed business, you are right, it was quite sad. I am struggling to rekindle memories of my time there.

      Delete
  4. I love the steps down to the beach and the waterfall.
    The tiny house you lived in reminds me of a similar one I lived in, weatherboard, tin roof. Ours was double fronted with a door in the centre. A very small house, but the bedrooms were quite large, with plenty of space around a double bed. Good to know at least the bakery was worth a visit.
    Urk! on the bogging (*~*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, rooms were big back then. The house went back for miles, one area after another. The bogging was sheer stupidity on my part.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a brilliant time Andrew, there wasn't one 'did I mention the stress levels were high' when you finally got off on the trip! Super video of the exuberant water falls. So what's the verdict.. will you do it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, while we enjoyed it, we have decided caravaning or campervaning is not for us.

      Delete
  6. You were lucky to get pulled free! The beach and steps down to it, at your first stay over park, are beautiful! Here the young people bolt for the big city too, on days off, and if they can, permanently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, the worst case would be getting a tow out by our automobile club, of which most people are members. The bright city lights will always attract the young.

      Delete