Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Campervanning Day 9 09/10


The skies were bluish the next morning at Batemans Bay. We left reasonably early, 9.30.


The skies had improved muchly by the time we reached Ulladulla and paused for a break.


Ulladulla looked lovely in the sunshine. What's wrong with these kids? Why aren't staring at phone screens?


Obviously there was a old car display somewhere today.



I took five photos of pelicans landing on the water and four are out of focus.


Departing Ulladulla. The storage space in the driving part of the van was as amazing as the storage space within and at the back of the van. Once home our own car felt rather cramped.


If you are familiar with New York's Times Square, Sydney's Bondi Beach, London's Oxford Street or Melbourne's own St Kilda, all on a pleasant summer day, then also add Huskisson at Jervis Bay to the mix, Husky for short. I don't know if there is a township of Jervis Bay, but anything I looked at on the net directed me towards either Husky or the slightly south Vincentia. We arrived at Husky around midday and it was manic.


We had to park some distance away after sitting in stop start traffic as people found, or tried to find, close by parking spaces. We wandered the beach side park for a bit and then found a nice place for lunch. I saw an elderly woman pick up something from a table as she walked past. Did she just steal something? No, the cafe gives away its coffee grounds as mulch for your garden.

The wind that had plagued us was still bad, and the only disaster of the trip occurred when the wind must have blown away my four year old $7 reading glasses from hanging on my shirt pocket.


As Victor will confirm, I am unerringly prone to taking photos of busy places without people in the scene, and this photo is no exception.


A natural harbour for boats.


Whale sightings from what distance? Had we have been staying another night, it would have been tempting.


Surely an oxymoron with the name of this real estate agent company.


We took a pleasant drive down to Vincentia. By then it was 2pm and we could check into a caravan park. Neither of the two adjacent parks in Husky had come to my attention when researching. It could have been us or not, but they were so difficult to find, both down the same street and depending on signage or being left or right handed, we chose one. It was nice, and the fellow caravaners very friendly. It was the most expensive we stayed in, sans Britz discount, and the facilities not quite up with the Big 4 parks, but there was a better class of people.


The check in people at the various parks were mostly friendly and helpful, at times gushy. The chap at this park seemed quite formal but he was actually ok and asked about our future route. I told him where were going to next and what we may see along the way, but he said that there is a better route, a quicker route, that Canberrians use when they visit Jervis Bay.

Note, there is no consistency about the way the 'er' sound is pronounced here in place names. In this case, it is Jarvis Bay. The check in chap had given us good advice, I thought. Our allocated space was good, with views of the water in a semi circle with others with vans and campervans.

HMAS Voyager and HMAS Melbourne collided in Jervis Bay, with a terrible loss of life and ongoing physical and mental health issues for those who survived. From memory, full reparations was not paid until the 1990s.



The stored wine level had dropped to a dangerously low point, and although Husky had a small IGA supermarket, we returned to Vincentia to the supermarket chain liquor store and also bought a roasted chicken and prepared salads for dinner. While a bit of a bother to set up, in the latter stages of our holiday, we did bother and it was quite a good swivel table between the seating, meaning that the table did not trap you as you could push it out of the way. Maybe three times we set up the outside table just because of the awful weather. 

We were in kind of semi circle of caravans and we saw our duty bound conscientious middle class neighbours trundle their suit case cassette off to the dump point.

The next morning before departing, we took a walk on the beach. I was so excited as the sand was very fine and white and made a squeaky noise at each step. Still the wind was fierce.

25 comments:

  1. Pity about the weather and that wind but you have provided us with some fabulous photos. I am envious of your walk along the sandy shore. Sounds perfect even with that wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, it is a very nice and relaxed part of Australia.

      Delete
  2. Squeaky sand!!! A joy I had forgotten about.
    And I so want to go whalewatching. I am thinking Merimbula...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I was surprised about the sand. We have some in Victoria. I recommend Merimbula.

      Delete
  3. I had not thought about Melbourne–Voyager calamaity for ages and ages. In February 1964, the two ships were doing naval exercises off Jervis Bay and suddenly the destroyer Voyager lost 80 or 90 of its young crew :(

    I have no memory of the Royal Commissions at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be wrong about the RC, Hels. Something was resolved in the 90s, I think.

      Delete
  4. I didn't even know IGA was still around. Our community once had one.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, I am surprised you have them.

      Delete
  5. Ulladulla with all the pretty boats looks like a place I'd like to visit one day. I don't believe I've ever heard squeaky sand, so of course I'd visit Vincentia too. Perhaps I should wander off and but a lotto ticket...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty place, River.

      Delete
  6. I just caught up on your caravan adventure ! I would love to do this too ! and you saw a lot and real beautiful places !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew the vintage caraare fabulous . I love the black one..

    ReplyDelete
  8. mistake cars are fabulous. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a lot of old cars here Gosia.

      Delete
    2. We have a lot of old cars here Gosia.

      Delete
  9. Your talent for photographing streetscapes without people amazes me.

    I suspect that if I confined my photography of streetscapes to the early mornings post midnight I'd still capture a platoon full of folk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it must be something I do subconsciously. I don't like people noticing me with a camera and I don't get chased from markets.

      Delete
    2. Victor, it must be something I do subconsciously. I don't like people noticing me with a camera and I don't get chased from markets.

      Delete
    3. I was quite oblivious to that incident until it was pointed out to me by my traveling companions.

      Delete
    4. I know Victor, but the facts spoil the story.

      Delete
  10. all is looking good....only a few days ago we were in Batemans Bay...home now and found that parking place wonderful. thanks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, you mentioned any disasters, so I guess your trip was very successful. I look forward to reading about it.

      Delete
  11. The sand looks absolutely beautiful! I like the look of Ulladulla! Would love to visit there. I hope you continued your travels with a stocked wine closet. Integrity, ha, associated with anything real estate? Now dead Jack's house, next door, has sold. But to whom? A house flipping company from Corvallis. I was very evil, and told my city friend about this development and asked her to come by and put a brochure on the door describing legal and illegal changes that can be made without permits by house flippers. I was being a brat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, we expect nice sand wherever we go in Australia and are disappointed if there isn't. Indeed, must have wine. The six o'clock marks the end of the day and time to relax. This house flipping is when a company buys a house cheaply to sit on until it can sell it for a profit?

      Delete