Sunday, October 23, 2016

Campervanning Day 8 08/10




Narooma was such a nice place but we journeyed onward and upwards to Batemems Bay. Again not too far, and we turned off the road to see Tuross Head


While sitting on a seat and admiring the scenery, a nearly white bloke who was aboriginal told us about his late wife, about about his home, his tinnie boat, his car, our Prime Minisiter, and the lack of money for pensioners. I am polite, so I did not say what I wanted to, fuck off pest. One must be kind to old people, except he was not so old. My goodness, he was a complainer though.




Before we hit Batemans Bay, we came across the hippie town of Mogo. Hippie customers are about to enter a hippie business.





A bit further along there was a similar hippie business.


Every town should have  a clock tower.


Not just for hippies who eat mung beans. There was a proper cafe. We ate at the bakery, and once again proved that the food is good at country bakeries. Once again I proved that coffee is lousy at country bakeries.


Outside the plant nursery. There did not seem to be a focus on mung bean seedlings in the nursery.

I liked.


The best use for a church.


As we arrived at Batemans Bay, the traffic on the main road stopped and so did we. I turned into what looked like a shopping street but we were soon stationary by traffic being blocked at the bottom of the street by what I thought was some hideous car accident with multiple deaths. I would have been fuming at home if I sat in stationary traffic for 15 minutes but I was very relaxed. Eventually traffic had inched forward to allow me to turn into a side street, which I did and we drove a bit south along the lovely water. We parked with a view of the water and I got busy with the tablet to find a caravan park. Ok, there are two just up the road in Batehaven  and we needed shops. We shopped at the modest and not so nice Batehaven shopping centre. We ended up deciding on the Big 4 park again. I discovered later that the traffic mayhem was not a terrible road accident but that a cable had snapped on the lift bridge at Batemans Bay.


The park was ok. There was a caravan next to us with a large annex and a quite rough looking white occupant, with his Asian partner and their young children. They were no problem but when I said hello to the man as we passed, he looked straight through me. Then I suffered extreme paranoia, well later really, as I left our van to use the amenity block as did the boy next door. His mother came out and stood outside their van watching her lad go and come back, I am sure to make sure that I did not grab him. Because the bloke had ignored me earlier, I surmised he thought, two older men travelling together are up to no good, and you certainly would not want them around your children. It caught up with me that night after a glass of wine. R told me I was being stupid and I probably was, but such is what happens when you have lived a life of being gay, and constantly in the background is the message, gays are bad and child molesters.



The public cooking areas in all Big 4 parks are amazing, but every park had quite good cooking facilities. We never used the pull out barbeque in our van.



Looking back at the caravan park from the beach.


I don't know if these are seen around the world. It is a cold water shower to wash away the sand after you leave beach.


After we checked in to the park, we went for a drive south for a few kilometres to see various viewing spots.








There were two clubs of note in Batemans Bay, and we had a drink at the Soldiers Club, but R had a hunger for exotic food, so we dined at the Sawatdee Thai restaurant. Good tucker for us. This view is from the Soldiers Club terrace.


12 comments:

  1. Some spectacular views there. It is interesting to see the facilities that are available on these camp sites but sad that you feel you are being watched all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, as I said, it was probably paranoia and I am usually the opposite.

      Delete
  2. Mogo Zoo is a lovely place, but the township is all about money.
    Some v familiar areas there.
    And sigh on the being watched thing. Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they are not out to get you. Sadly they sometimes are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we did consider the zoo but I can't remember why we didn't.

      Delete
  3. Sure not look like a draught there.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, a little more than a draught.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful photos again Andrew. I love the hippie shops; all those bright colourful bowls, the chairs and windchimes, just the sort of thing I love looking at.
    I didn't know the Big4 parks had such great cooking facilities, with fridges and sinks too.
    Being a mother myself, I understand the woman's need to see her son was safe; I've done the same thing when my kids were younger and whether or not anyone near them was gay or not made no difference to me. Plenty of non-gay men ( and women)do harmful things to children, like kidnapping, murder. Not nice to think about, but it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I thought the colourful chairs were great. I suppose you are right and children need to be watched.

      Delete
  5. You shouldn't take offense being watched. I was a pretty protective mum when my kids were little around anyone. I actually think it is a good thing that parents keep a watch out for their kids rather than letting them run everywhere unchecked.

    Great photos Andrew. Haven't been to Mogo and Batemans Bay for years. We have distant rellies there so maybe we should visit more often...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CM, much as above. Mogo is a little odd as it has a village feel but it's on a major highway.

      Delete
  6. You paranoid! Never Andrew 😊 I agree with CountryMum above, mums just generally watch over! I was holding my breath for a minute there, thank goodness it wasn't a horrible accident that caused the hold up, phew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not normally, Grace. Yes, I did think the worst about the traffic jam.

      Delete